Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, problem with a PC of mine. Basically, upon hitting the POWER button on the PC case, the CASE fans will turn on and begin spinning and it looks like the CPU fan will spin too. The power supply LED also comes on (it's a hec power supply 1080 that has a blue LED).

The problem is there is "NO SIGNAL " to the monitor. We tried HDMI cables, VGA to the nvidia gt220 graphics. Then we just tried plugging in the VGA into the integrated graphics and still "NO SIGNAL"

it was about then when I noticed the PC Case lights were NOT even turning on, which is very weird to me. I checked all the connections to make sure the 4pin and 24 pin were connected and everything is plugged in.

Can anyone please help me out? is there a main "indication" if the fans and PSU are spinning/turning on, but the pc case lights aren't nor the monitor?

This started because my brother went into the computer and removed the Nvidia GT220 graphics card so he could put it in another computer. That's when he realized this problem

This computer is a older computer of mine that has been working perfectly prior, specs are:

Intel Core2 Quad CPU
MSI G35 LGA775 mATX motherboard
Kingston 4GB RAM DDR2
Generic Seagate HDD 500GB
Generic IDE CD/DVD drive
hec 1080 Powersupply
Silverstone Temjin TJ04EW case

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
Its either a broken/dead PSU or motherboard

·
Senior OCN Member
40,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxAlbertoxX View Post

Can I ask how the power supply, if it is broken, is still supplying power to the fans??? and the light is turning on too.
Could be a short circuit going on or something

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, just drove to best buy and purchased a thermal take 430watt power supply.

Same thing - no signal to monitor (via VGA on the integrated motherboard, motherboard is some MSI mATX LGA775 core2quad mobo)

No lights on the PC case light up, it's a Silverstone Temjin Tj04EW case, so the blue light should be on for "POWER"

All the fans turn ON however.

24 pin is plugged in, so is 4 pin ATX.

Advice?????

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, now it's NOT even turning on.

I swapped the ram sticks and double checked all connections and now it's not turning on.

How could it go from turning on with fans, but nothing else (no signal on monitor) but now today nothing turns on?

could this be the motherboard battery?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, I have Reset the CMOS battery by taking it out, and moved the jumpers.

I have also swapped RAM slots and checked that they are fully seated.

I have checked the 4 pin and 24 CPU pin connector and replugged them into to make sure they are fully seated.

I double checked the case connections for POWER SW and the Power LEDs and made sure they were in there right spots and tried other configurations ,

but the computer is not even turning on anymore.

Again, yesterday the fans (case and CPU fan) turned on and CD DVD drive powered up, but no signal to the monitor.

Now, nothing is turning on at all.... And yes, I purchased a new Thermaltake powersupply yesterday from bestbuy because I thought that may be it.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I think it's safe to say. The motherboard is dead.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamen50 View Post

I think it's safe to say. The motherboard is dead.
Yeah apparently my dumbass brother took out the graphics card to use in his computer (he has no job and is too lazy to buy his own card)

He is also an engineering student but apparently to stupid to take safety precautions, because the computer PSU was flipped in the "ON" position and still plugged into the wall outlet.

Like I said, I can get the fans to turn on, but nothing else. Looks like no HDD, no mobo lights, no signal to monitor.

Tried everything (connections, 24pin , 4 pin, clearing CMOS, switching RAM/trying individually, new PSU, etc..)

Guess I'll run to a computer store a attempt to pick up an LGA775 board tomorrow.

thanks for the responses thus far...

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
So he took out the graphics card while the PSU was plugged in and switched on? That must of shorted the motherboard then. 99% sure it's the motherboard. I've seen motherboards die from doing this.

Well a good replacement motherboard is the P45 chipset ones such as Asus P5K / P5Q series.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

So he took out the graphics card while the PSU was plugged in and switched on? That must of shorted the motherboard then. 99% sure it's the motherboard. I've seen motherboards die from doing this.

Well a good replacement motherboard is the P45 chipset ones such as Asus P5K / P5Q series.
Cool thanks.

Just to make it easier I ordered the same motherboard, hopefully it is the mobo and when I get it and install it everything works
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can someone with vast PC Knowledge enlighten me?

I JUST installed my New motherboard, (exact same MSI G35 mATX LGA775 board) to replace the old, possibly "fried" board.

I install, and boot up - SAME Issue, SAME message, "No signal to monitor detected".

Keep in mind I'm running a VGA cable straight onto the mobo onboard GFX for simplicity.

SO at this point I am really kind of sad, because I just paid $$ and ordered the mobo, and spent some time putting it together. Thought now it was going to be more of a hassle and it maybe the CPU or RAM......

BUT I decided ONE LAST TRY.

I turned the PSU off and held the POWER BUTTON on the PC case (silverstone temjin) for about 30sec-1min.

I then switched the Power supply online, and pressed the power button .

VOILA! The damn thing turned on and the monitor turned on! It said "PC Overclock settings have failed!!!!"

So I loaded the default settings and booted to desktop..

I am just so CONFUSED as to how the hell that fixed the problem. The only reason I even did it is because I read it on google a few days ago and it was some what of a hail mary.

Now, I am puzzled and deeply curious that if I had done the same thing with the old motherboard, would the PC have started??? Though, the only difference is that , with that old mobo , I didn't even have the PC case lights , lighting up.

But when I booted up with this new mobo, the PC case lit up blue, so I thought I had made some progress.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I think you should test the old motherboard and try that with the same steps.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

I think you should test the old motherboard and try that same steps.
Haha, my brother is saying he tried the same thing with the old motherboard but I don't know if I believe him. He said he held the power button with PSU off & on 2 times and nothing changed.

I will say, when I installed this new mobo, even though I still got the "NO SIGNAL error", the blue LED case lights attached to the MOBO did LIGHT up , which they did NOT do on the old mobo.

The computer was also louder, which I think was the HDD booting up and such, when basically the fans only turned on with the old mobo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts