Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty self explanatory.

My PC will power on by itself every once in a while. Doesn't matter if its in standby, hibernating or powered off.

This evening I had put my PC into hibernation and about 25 minutes later it powers up and I find it at the login screen.

I can rule out faulty wiring and/or power spikes since this has happened in two different apartments and in both apartments I had the PC on a surge protector. Also, I do not have any timers set in the BIOS or the "Wake on LAN/Modem" enabled in the BIOS. I assume it has to be the Corsair PSU causing this since this did not occur with my previous Apevia PSU.

Currently I have the PC on an eco-surge protector that I can turn completely off with a remote so the PC wont randomly turn on and run all day while i'm at work or something.

Just a little weird....

Anyone else ever encounter this?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
I dunno, but I just have one thing to say and ask:

There have always been ghosts in the machine; random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul.

Why is it that when some robots are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of code? Or is it something more?

When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter mote - of a soul?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xapoc
View Post

iRobot was a great book.

My imagination is broken, so I had to settle for the movie (the remake).

• Rep+
Reactions: jetplane48

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Oh. Well, I could say the same because the only Asimov books I like are I, Robot and Fantastic Voyage, both very mainstream works.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:

View Post

There have always been ghosts in the machine; random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul.

Why is it that when some robots are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of code? Or is it something more?

When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter mote - of a soul?

you sir, have great knowledge! rep+

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xapoc
View Post

Oh. Well, I could say the same because the only Asimov books I like are I, Robot and Fantastic Voyage, both very mainstream works.

Oh, I don't know how to read.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: jetplane48

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Oh, I don't know how to read.

Well... All I can say is, try? Books are great places to escape to. =)

Oh shoot, this is waaay off topic. Hopefully we don't get punished...

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
there's a green wire that comes out of the 24 pin power plug. in order to get the power supply to turn on, you connect that to ground. it's possible that there's a problem there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
hehe I like where this thread went for a second. But I hope it gets back on topic. I only did that because I haven't yet seen an explanation for why computers do this.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Mine did this at one point. All the wake-up stuff in the BIOS was off, but I found in one of the many sub menus there was a timer to auto power on at X time. Like you could have it boot before work/school starts so its ready.

I never turned the feature on, it just started doing it one day. Maybe double check all the BIOS again?

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ned99 View Post
That sounds really strange. Maybe the wiring in your case power switch is faulty? That's all I can think of.
My PC is setup on my mdf tech bench, that could have something to do with it. Honestly though, I don't remember if my old case ever did the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

LOL nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mth91 View Post
there's a green wire that comes out of the 24 pin power plug. in order to get the power supply to turn on, you connect that to ground. it's possible that there's a problem there somewhere.
The 24-pin is plugged in where it should be, the 24 pin connector on the motherboard. Maybe the motherboard is faulty somehow...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
Mine did this at one point. All the wake-up stuff in the BIOS was off, but I found in one of the many sub menus there was a timer to auto power on at X time. Like you could have it boot before work/school starts so its ready.

I never turned the feature on, it just started doing it one day. Maybe double check all the BIOS again?
I've checked multiple times. I don't think that's the issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoka Cola View Post
Well this is easily explained, your computer is so powerful, just the presence of the parts alone make it come to life.
This. Lol.

Or perhaps some alien lifeform is attempting to communicate. Or maybe somehow my future self has traveled into the past to warn me of something and is trying to communicate using the computer but can't remember the password...

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I would have prefered a Ghost in the Shell reference but oh well.

As for it powering on by itself, has to be something in the switch wiring or maybe the connection is loose on the motherboard. Also, if the mobo has a switch on the PCB itself then that switch may be faulty. Only thing to explain it turning on by itself when the PC is shut down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts