Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First all i'm new here so i couldn't really find a suitable forum section to put this in.

I have a strange problem which is going on for a couple of weeks/months now. Like every 1 or 2 weeks my PC decides to shut itself down during Idle or Browsring the internet. It never happens during gaming which is a load operation. It simply shuts itself down and i have to press the power button again, it boots up normaly again without giving an error message after startup. I checked the Windows Log files a couple of times aswell at the time it shut down but it doesn't really tell anything that could have caused it.

Here is my PC Specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.66 Ghz (166 x 22)
Voltage: 1.125 Normal, DVID +0.125 (Load-line Calibration Standard Intel Spec)
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 Push/Pull 750 RPM
Temps: Idle 37C - Load (Gaming) 65C

Motherboard:
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 (Bios FC)

Memory:
GeIL DDR3 Ultra Tripple Channel 3x 2GB (7-7-7-24) (Voltage needed 1.65, set to 1.64)
(XMP 6-6-6-24 is unstable, BSOD Randomly)

Videocard:
Zotac GTX580 (Stock) (Arctic Accelero Xtreme Plus)
Installed in the first PCI-E 16x Slot

Soundcard:
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium Pro

Harddisks:
OCZ Vertex 120GB (Firmware 1.6) (Windows Drive)
OCZ Vertex 120GB (Firmware 1.6) (Games Drive)
Samsung EcoGreen F1 HD103SI 1Tb (Storage)
All connected to the Intel controller

Power Supply:
Seasonic X750 GoldPlus 750 Watt

I recently swapped around the memory modules into different banks but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I have the same system specs as before it started happening. I had the two OCZ Drives in Raid-0 before and recently seperated them as i thought that might could be the cause, but it's not. Seeing it doesn't happen during load it can't be the PSU or Videocard either. I'm kinda out of ideas what it could be tho i'm leaning towards memory for some reason.

If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or what i could try to figure it out id be very thankful.

-Svarog

·
HGTTG
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Does it just switch off suddenly, or go through the shut down process?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEntel
View Post

Does it just switch off suddenly, or go through the shut down process?

Just switches off, like you flick a switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
probably there is virus in ur computer.scan ur c: drive.
if the problem persists,format c drive and install win xp again.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Just to make sure... go to power options -> high performance -> change plan settings
Make sure the computer is not set to sleep after a certain amount of time. If you have just installed windows or set up a new machine, it defaults to 30 minutes or so.
30 minutes is too long to occur when gaming, and would only happen during long videos or super slow web browsing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power Saving isn't the issue, nor a Virus cuz i reinstalled Windows 7 twice the last 2 weeks. The reason for that was one of my SSDs

I think the issue is one of the SSDs.

A week ago my oldest SSD (bought early 2010) all of a sudden wasn't detected anymore by the BIOS. So i attached a jumper and had to do a Destructive Flash which fixed again. But since then it happend once again that the PC just shut down while i was browsing the net.

I guess ill head back to the OCZ Forum to get more information.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svarog
View Post

Power Saving isn't the issue, nor a Virus cuz i reinstalled Windows 7 twice the last 2 weeks. The reason for that was one of my SSDs

I think the issue is one of the SSDs.

A week ago my oldest SSD (bought early 2010) all of a sudden wasn't detected anymore by the BIOS. So i attached a jumper and had to do a Destructive Flash which fixed again. But since then it happend once again that the PC just shut down while i was browsing the net.

I guess ill head back to the OCZ Forum to get more information.

I had an issue similar to this about 9 months ago. The fix that eventually ended up working for me was disabling auto reboot on system failure. Turned out my system would auto reboot anytime my flash would encounter an error... was really annoying.

Anyways, for Windows 7 right click your My Computer ----> Properties ---> Advanced System Settings ----> Advanced Tab ----> Start Up and Recovery ----> Uncheck the box under System Failure that says automatically restart.

Might as well give it a shot, can't hurt. Good luck!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the first thing i disable with a fresh install. The system isn't rebooting, it's simply shutting down like you flick the power switch.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I've had that exact thing happen to me recently.

I suspected that that it happened whenever my gpu switched from it's 2d idle clocks of 50MHz, to its high power 2d clocks of 400MHz. This can happen if a browser is gpu accelerated, or when you play a video.

Reseting my gpu clocks completely removed the problem. However the very next day after reseting my clocks, one of my HDDs, a 1 TB F3 died, and I took it out of my pc.

So I don't know if it was my unstable gpu clock, or my dying HDD that was causing the problem. It would pass any stress test and play games for hours, but then switch off randomly while browsing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i did replace my HD5970 for a GTX580 a while ago..could have been about the same time as when it started happening.

I guess i could try to set the IE and Global settings in nVidia Control Panel to Maximum Performance so it doesn't go to 2D clocks.

Ive been testing each memory stick seperately and none of them give any errors, so that rules the memory out.

Other people say it might be the PSU, if that's true i would be deeply dissapointed in Seasonic seeing it's only a year old.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My problem started happening right after I switched from ATi (4850) to the one in my sig.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the feeling all my hardware is fine.

I remembered i had a APC Back-UPS RS 1500 (865 Watt) laying around that i used before, but once the power went it wasn't able to power my system which is strange it doesn't pull even 500 Watt.

But ye, i hooked it up again. Because around here there are voltage Peeks and Sags every now and then. And seeing it doesn't happen that often i'm pretty sure that's the cause.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It shutdown again this morning, so that been 11 days since last time. I'm getting lost here >_<

I did swap around my PCI-E Cards after it happend again. That's pretty much the only thing i can try out atm.

Swapped my GTX580 from PCI-E 16X_1 to PCI-E 8X_1. Yes, it's a 8X slot but performance wise it doesn't matter.

And the soundcard went from PCI-E 8X_2 to PCI-E 1X_2.

I also disabled HPET incase that matters. If these things don't work i have no clue anymore. I mean..it been 11 days since it last happend now. It's so rare i dunno where to search really.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems to be still happening every 10 days or so.

Seeing the issue pretty much started happening when i swapped from HD5970 to GTX580, it's clear i have to search there. I did rewire my PC as my PSU has 2 options to connect the CPU 8 Pin. I also swapped the two PCI-E connectors around. If that doesn't help i got some final tricks up my sleeve that "might" solve the problem.

- Up voltage from 1000 mV to 1025 mV (Perhaps a notch higher to 1038 mV).
- Force Constant voltage in MSI Afterburner so it doesn't go up and down while Adaptive Mode is enabled.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far replaced Memory and SSD, no deal. This is getting annoying.

Right now i'm about to RMA my PSU, that's the only other Hardware that's highly likely to cause the problem. Basicly upgrading PC with parts 1 by 1 and t's very frustrating and expensive.

If anyone has other ideas let me know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, and like half an hour ago it shut off again during a system restart.

It says nothing just before the shutoff. When i start back up and check the Windows Log all it says is that the last system shutdown happend unexpected.

If it is the PSU id be pretty baffled seeing it's a SeaSonic, but i guess even the best brand can have a failure. I'm allowed to RMA my current PSU the only problem is that i will be without for a while and that's not an option. So i decided to order a SeaSonic X760 and RMA the X750. I will get it replaced and just sell it then.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If its not the PSU, it could possibly be the card itself maybe?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ye well, if with the new PSU it still happens i'm rather done trying to figure out the issue. Been busy with it for atleast 5 months now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts