Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been experiencing shutdowns but seems to happens only overnight when the PC is not in use. The only OC is the cpu but it has passed numerous quad prime 95 runs the longest being 8 hours. It will shut down just sitting at idle all night or while downloading files. Heat is def not a factor. There is more than enough cooling with the proper exchange of air. I suspect my PSU is the weak link of my system but how can I pin-point the culprit of this problem?

**edit**
I should add that I don't have my computer set to sleep at anytime, I did double check the settings.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
No your PSU is fine. You are running a 45nm CPU, and with your sig, you are only pulling maybe 300w at the most.

As for the shutdown issue, you might want to update your BIOS and see if it helps. It seems like most BIOS updates usually address some sort of a weird shutdown issue.

Also, go into ADVANCED POWER OPTIONS and undo every power saving feature that might be enabled.

You don't have any of those quirky little softwares that your motherboard came with do you? Like Easy Energy Saver or something like that?

Wouldn't it be funny if your parents were coming into your room at night and shutting down your computer because they were concerned about the power bill? Only to leave you dazed and confused as to what might be wrong with your rig?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoHigh View Post
No your PSU is fine. You are running a 45nm CPU, and with your sig, you are only pulling maybe 300w at the most.

As for the shutdown issue, you might want to update your BIOS and see if it helps. It seems like most BIOS updates usually address some sort of a weird shutdown issue.

Also, go into ADVANCED POWER OPTIONS and undo every power saving feature that might be enabled.

You don't have any of those quirky little softwares that your motherboard came with do you? Like Easy Energy Saver or something like that?

Wouldn't it be funny if your parents were coming into your room at night and shutting down your computer because they were concerned about the power bill? Only to leave you dazed and confused as to what might be wrong with your rig?
Well, I can def rule out my parents, they are 800 miles away in Ohio but it could be the wife LOL. No, none of that crappy software that monitors or saves energy. I will double check the power saving settings and then go over each component for an obvious problem. I do have my settings in Vista in power management set to "High Performance" and "computer sleeps-never."

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
You could try looking in the event log

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Take a look in your event viewer. There could be some stuff in it that might give you a clue on to what's going on

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did you change the power settings in your OS? If the PC is not in use, on stock settings, then the screen will turn off after a few minutes (mostly 20-30), the HDD will shut off after 2 hours, and if your unlucky, the system may shut off after a longer time too.

Maybe that's what's happening.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomboy
View Post

i would like to know more about event viewer. is it a built in function in windows?

Event viewer is pretty awesome.

It's under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools
Unless you have Administrative tools set to show on your start menu.

I don't care what people say about new(er) MS OS's... their crash recovery options and the information they provide about events has gotten 10000000X better since Windows 98.

I remember trying to troubleshoot Windows 98 stuff... that was like pulling your hair out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.