Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question,

Everything is hooked up (mainly for movies and headphones for gaming) and works fine, but I can't turn up the volume much even over half or the receiver shuts off? (not with headphones, but with the speakers either in stereo or surround)

Is this a power issue, volume issue, input issue? Anyone know how I can alleviate it?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Receiver's circuit protection is kicking in.

It could be caused either by high ambient temperature or some sort of short circuit like loose strands of wire touching each other.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrm, I knew it was some kind of protection mechanism, just wasn't sure why it was kicking in. Do you think it's wires inside?

There are no wires causing problems from speakers or antennae. Temperatures are well below threshold for causing problems but I am in a very dry climate; could that also be an issue perhaps?

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorb View Post
what receiver and what speakers?
^

There might be an issue with speaker impendace - the receiver might not be capable of driving the load.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a thought - it's a 5.1 Philips set from 2002/2003. It's a Philips w/ the 5.1 Philips satellite speakers and powered sub. It's nothing to jump up and down about, but it's ooooogles better than the Creative Inspire 5300 I had working (since I've owned it...back in 2001-2002).

Any help would be appreciated, because I think it has something to do with the digital link! If I turn on the tuner (I still love my FM radio!) I can blast it.... and it doesn't shut off! But it does if I turn it up while on the optical input.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump this because:

I can turn up the volume super loud when I set the receiver to 'Tuner' and listen to the radio. Super loud. But when I turn up the PC volume when it's set to 'Sat' (have the toslink set to the Satellite input) it will shut off like it's being overwhelmed.

Could this be the toslink? Maybe it's too cheap a cable?

I'd love some professional audio gurus to chime in!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input ~

I'd really like to know if someone has any more insight on why this would happen though!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanjaSMK View Post
Mmmm
Sad I still haven't heard any more on this!

Anyone!?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the receiver goes into stand-by mode (and doesn't "shut off", or "power off", as you stated). First of all, every time this happens, make sure you unplug the power cord, wait a minute, and plug it back in before attempting to power on again.

As others have said, it's most likely going into some kind of "protection" mode. Perhaps the receiver gets too hot. Perhaps one of the cables is not seated properly and is touching another cable or the receiver itself. It could be a problem with the speakers shorting out; have you tried them with another source/receiver? It could even be a bad connection in the motherboard of the receiver, in which case you'd probably have to take it in and get it fixed (unless you know your way around the board and how to solder). Have you tried other input connections, such as a coax?

The problem would be much easier to diagnose and pinpoint if you do a little trial and error. See what works with what setup, and what doesn't. I doubt it's an impedance problem, as you said you were able to blast the speakers playing radio. Or, it could indeed be something as simple as a bad toslink connection. Give us more info, and we'll try to figure this out.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BRB - I'll give you more info in a later edit on this post. Getting smokes ~

EDIT: Ok, what happens is I have my sound volume in windows say to 75% and if I turn up the volume on the receiver past 25~30 (which isn't very loud anyways) the receiver will just shut off (go from on to red standby light) and I have to depress the standby button and it'll turn back on.

The sound is set to 48Hz @ 24 bit in Windows.

If I turn it up with the receiver on the 'tuner' - I can blast it way past 30 without it shutting off.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Well also the radio tuner does not require any active DSP/processing. My receiver's power draw from the wall increases by close to 50W when its decoding digital signals.

Maybe you should try using the Multichannel Direct inputs on your receiver instead. This bypasses all processing and goes straight to amplification.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Have you tried switching the inputs on the receiver? Like instead of CD, use a DVD sound input or something similar?

If you have a DVD player, hook that up and see how loud you can get it before it shuts off.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by astrallite
View Post

Well also the radio tuner does not require any active DSP/processing. My receiver's power draw from the wall increases by close to 50W when its decoding digital signals.

Maybe you should try using the Multichannel Direct inputs on your receiver instead. This bypasses all processing and goes straight to amplification.

So use 3.5mm to double/single RCA for 5.1 via the DVD channel inputs? My only 5.1 inputs are the 6-channel DVD RCA hookups, Coaxial (don't have one on my motherboard) or Toslink (which I'm using).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illusion Of Progress
View Post

Have you tried switching the inputs on the receiver? Like instead of CD, use a DVD sound input or something similar?

If you have a DVD player, hook that up and see how loud you can get it before it shuts off.

Hrm, maybe switch it from the SAT input to DVD ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts