Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Symantec has been sued for running fake "scareware" scans that induce people to pay for subscriptions to PC Tools Registry Mechanic, PC Tools Performance, Toolkit, and Norton Utilities.

Symantec offers a free, non-diagnostic scan that fraudulently detects critical issues on people's computers. The scan offers to fix many of these issues for free, but prompts the consumer to pay for system tuneups to clean out the rest of the errors.
http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/292826-symantec-sued-for-scareware-tactics

This reminds me of when people were accusing Symantec of creating and releasing viruses themselves. Then they would sell you their magic software to get rid of them.
Remember, this is the same company that produced PR gems like this.

SNWSx.png

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
MSE <3

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
This is why I don't use any of these resource hogs on my system any more and haven't for a good number of years.

It's all poop.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

This is why I don't use any of these resource hogs on my system any more and haven't for a good number of years.
It's all poop.
Given your CPU I highly doubt that any antivirus would be a serious resource hog.

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountains View Post

Given your CPU I highly doubt that any antivirus would be a serious resource hog.
Well they were at the time I decided I wasn't using them anymore
tongue.gif

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post

Snoop Dogg is still relevant today?
Oh he isn't, wasn't ever really worth anything, moving right along.
Of course he is, why, in the year 3009 he is the Chief Justice of the Earth Supreme Court.

Never liked Norton anyway, so many better options for free, and way better options if you are willing to pay.

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
Seriously, why do people still pay for AV protection? There are so many great free programs such as MSE that perform 90% of the function that a for purchase program does.

As far as people go, you can't fix stupid. If they let a virus on their computer, that's their fault. The AV software in that case is just a crutch. I can't imagine why Symantec would shoot themselves in the foot like this, though. They had to know that eventually someone would catch on.

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

Seriously, why do people still pay for AV protection?
Ignorance and pressure from sales people.
You think the 39 year old soccer mom who spends her time eating bon-bons and cheating on her husband knows anything about AV programs?
It's the same reason services like Geek Squad are so successful.

·
Irregular
915 Posts
This is almost as bad as the commercial we get on the radio/tv that is an ad for malware. You install their demo, it messes up your registry, and then charges you to fix it.
The company behind this 'product' even has publicly traded stock.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy View Post

It's all poop.
Well, my reasoning for not using anti-virus is not that they're resource hogging. It's that you can't really trust anti-virus software for security in the first place.
If it detects a virus, how do you know it's not just a false positive?
If you scan a file, how do you know it's really clean?

That's the problem with signature based security products. They're always five steps behind so I don't see the point.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post

This is news.
Yes, I whole kindheartedly agree. This is infact, news.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts