Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

PC won't boot after RAM upgrade.

So earlier today I picked up 2X4GB of ADATA XPG DDR3 2133Mhz RAM and installed it in my computer to replace the Corsair 2X4GB VALUE SELECT 1333Mhz sticks I had.
When I installed my old memories everything is fine.

My mobo is Gigabyte H61M-S2V B3.
Could it be because these are 1.65v RAM memories?

Watch the video. It turns on for no more than 2 seconds, then shuts off. Unable to enter BIOS.

https://i.imgur.com/r6GtmQL.mp4

·
Invalid Media
2,109 Posts
Hello,

So earlier today I picked up 2X4GB of ADATA XPG DDR3 2133Mhz RAM and installed it in my computer to replace the Corsair 2X4GB VALUE SELECT 1333Mhz sticks I had.

Watch the video. It turns on for no more than 2 seconds, then shuts off. Unable to enter BIOS.

...have you tried clearing the bios (if there's an external button for that), otherwise, unplug PSU, take battery out, wait 20sec, then put the battery back in and plug the PSU in. You will however lose all your previous bios settings (i.e. profiles, also date/time etc)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Does the motherboard supports RAM at that speed? The page for it on Gigabyte's website says it supports 800 MHz, 1066 MHz, and 1333 MHz RAM, but typically that's what Sandy Bridge officially supported, so sometimes it worked with more. Normally, RAM should have different speeds it will clock down to and operate at (or sometimes it does this by default unless you select some sort of profile like X.M.P. to have it operate at the faster advertised speeds). I believe the H61 chipset was the lowest of its generation, so keep in mind the room for tweaking may be low.

Have you tried one module at a time to rule out a bad RAM module?

Out of curiosity, why make the replacement? You went from 8 GB to 8 GB, and the speed difference alone isn't likely to make a big difference, especially for an older platform where I imagine you were probably looking for a larger one?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Havent worked with SB for a while but from memory the vid looks its trying to train the memory. Try put your old kit back in and see if it works. It could be the new RAM speed is not supported.

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
What speed, it won't set 2133MHz until you specifically enable XMP... After 2 seconds it's 90% chance that it fails on RAM initialization, so try putting your previous sticks of RAM then set DRAM Voltage to 1.65V and set system agent voltage/VCCSA (if possible) to 1.1V. Then swap the sticks.

Should have overclocked your previous kit as staying at 8GB is a waste of money.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hello,

You can also try loading failsafe defaults or optimized defaults with the old sticks before swapping them out and try one new stick at a time
With the old sticks in update the bios

·
OG AMD
8,799 Posts
What speed, it won't set 2133MHz until you specifically enable XMP... After 2 seconds it's 90% chance that it fails on RAM initialization, so try putting your previous sticks of RAM then set DRAM Voltage to 1.65V and set system agent voltage/VCCSA (if possible) to 1.1V. Then swap the sticks.

Should have overclocked your previous kit as staying at 8GB is a waste of money.
^ This. Put old sticks in, set to 1.65v and then install new sticks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried one module at a time to rule out a bad RAM module?
Yes, I've tried it.

Out of curiosity, why make the replacement? You went from 8 GB to 8 GB, and the speed difference alone isn't likely to make a big difference, especially for an older platform where I imagine you were probably looking for a larger one?
I didn't spend a penny on it.
I got them from someone for an upgrade to i7 4930K (which I also didn't spend money on).
I'm waiting for X79 mobo to arrive, but for now I thought to check if those memories work on my current H61.

^ This. Put old sticks in, set to 1.65v and then install new sticks.
Is setting 1.5V RAM at 1.65V safe?

Should I set to 1.640v or 1.660v?

·
The last VRM burner
2,590 Posts
Even 1.8V is safe.

·
OG AMD
8,799 Posts
I changed the DRAM voltage from 1.5V to 1.640V and the PC still does not boot.

This is what happens with the first memory stick:

https://streamable.com/uzxete

And this with the second memory:

https://streamable.com/adad6h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at the first one and it's trying to train the memory (set timings). You may need to reset the bios first, set RAM on Auto for speed and timings and VRAM @ 1.68v

1 - 11 of 11 Posts