Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all my pc has been behaving odly the last couple of months.

At times it will refuse to switch on even if I remove and replace cmos batery, remove power and reset cmos etc. Even tried different power switches and the on board power switch. It will also randomy (not so often) switch itself on!

When it is working it works flawlessly, I've ran games, benchmarks, watched films, surfed the net, stressed and tested the oc etc and no problems.

However in addition to this, recently it's now started turning itself off as If the power was cut or the power button was held in... Help!

The pc is 4-5 years old now and I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever since I migrated it to a caselabs case, what could have happened?

Thankyou for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.

Just a little more info:

It's a 2600k @ 5 ghz
8 gigs of corsair ram @ 1866
And a 1200w enermax psu
2 gtx 580 sli (old )
Running windows 10

The issues I'm having happen no matter what bios settings (and vertion) I use (defaults etc) and running single gpu, one stick of ram etc etc. I've also tried a different psu and still the same issue :/

I'm starting to wonder if it's a short circuit, but where?!? I really don't want to have to dismantle my water loop :/

Cheers peeps!

·
HGTTG
1,030 Posts
Did it start doing this right after you installed Win10?

The only other thing I can think of is to set it up outside of the case on a piece of wood or card board with the bare minimum components to run and see what happens.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it started after migrating to a caselabs case, I am going to bench test it as you said asap and see if it's the same.

Will get back to you with results

·
Registered
422 Posts
I had a similar issue about 7 years ago. Was caused by bad capacitors on my motherboard. Would check your motherboard for the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I'm fearing, only because the board is like 5 years old now so I won't be able to rma it
frown.gif

·
Registered
422 Posts
My computer was doing the exact same minus the switching itself on. Had to replace the motherboard to fix the problem. The capacitor issue was easy to spot once I knew what I was looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What should I be looking for visually if there is anything to find?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Google for "Bad Capacitor" and you will find lots of pictures. Symptoms of bad capacitors are like what you describe

·
ლ(╹ε╹ლ)
8,191 Posts
I would first check to see if there might be a motherboard post somewhere causing a short on the backside of that motherboard. One that was placed, but did not align with a mounting hole on the motherboard.

You only have 9 (IIRC) mounting holes, check them all.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

I would first check to see if there might be a motherboard post somewhere causing a short on the backside of that motherboard. One that was placed, but did not align with a mounting hole on the motherboard.

You only have 9 (IIRC) mounting holes, check them all.
this would be the first thing I would check for. also make sure there isn't any clips in any psu cables that might be shorting things out.

good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the help guys. Ive been able to remove the motherboard and have taken a few pics of the back. It looks like flux residue + 5 years of dust / spiderweb? Anyhow I'm not surprised it was struggling to work when you look closely it's almost as if it's been crawling from conection to conection!

Anyhow I have cleaned it up as best I can using isopropyl so I'm letting it dry before I try and bench test it.

Here's the pics for those that are interested:

Will let you know what happens next

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so I bench tested the system after cleaning and it booted up first time with no problems!

I'm going to rebuild the system and test / stress further but so far so good!

I'm over the moon that it didn't pop!

Thanks for all the help guys! Will post update when the system is 100% back together

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got the pc back together 100% and it's been working fine for the past 2 days so I can only conclude it was just dirty enough to cause problems

1 - 14 of 14 Posts