Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I just found this HDD laying around and I thought I should plug it into my computer and see if it works. Well, I tried it on my old rig first, just to make sure you know, and this happened: When the SATA power connector is plugged into the HDD, the computer won't even turn on. The CPU fan spins for a fraction of a second and then stops, also, the power LEDs in the front of the case light up, but then immediately turn off.

The other HDD works just fine with the same SATA cables.

Does this mean that the HDD is dead? What can I do to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Try just plugging in the power connector but no data cable, and see if the PC will start. That will tell us if there is a problem with the HDD controller or with the power side of things.

If it still fails to start (and I think this is likely) then you may have a short on the disk circuit board somewhere. Visually inspect the connectors & pcb, look for any signs of a short between traces, burnt traces, damaged components etc. If you have a multimeter check for shorts between the power and ground lines on the power connector.

• Rep+
Reactions: equimen

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
Try just plugging in the power connector but no data cable, and see if the PC will start. That will tell us if there is a problem with the HDD controller or with the power side of things.
It doesn't start up.

Quote:

If it still fails to start (and I think this is likely) then you may have a short on the disk circuit board somewhere. Visually inspect the connectors & pcb, look for any signs of a short between traces, burnt traces, damaged components etc. If you have a multimeter check for shorts between the power and ground lines on the power connector.
I'm looking for a short, but cannot seem to find anything. I've looked at the traces and at the pcb in general, and nothing. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing...Do you have any pics or something that can serve me as reference?

Thanks

+rep

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
No pics I'm afraid - you just need to check for anything out of the ordinary.

If you have a multimeter check for shorts between power & ground pins on the SATA power connector - see the pinout here.

Do you have another pc you can try just to make sure there isn't something wierd happening between that disk and that psu?

If that doesn't work you will either need to try a controller board swap or pay for professional data recovery. Or just junk the disk and chalk it up to experience. There could be any number of things wrong, and I fear none of them are easy to fix.

• Rep+
Reactions: equimen

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

No pics I'm afraid - you just need to check for anything out of the ordinary.

If you have a multimeter check for shorts between power & ground pins on the SATA power connector - see the pinout here.

Do you have another pc you can try just to make sure there isn't something wierd happening between that disk and that psu?

If that doesn't work you will either need to try a controller board swap or pay for professional data recovery. Or just junk the disk and chalk it up to experience. There could be any number of things wrong, and I fear none of them are easy to fix.
I'll try to find a multimeter check, my dad probably has one.

I do have another rig, my sig rig
I was trying the HDD on an old rig and was unsure about plugging it into my sig rig because I don't want to get anything damaged. If I can't find a multimeter, I'll just try with my sig rig, and if I can find a multimeter...well, I'll try it anyways

Thanks a bunch

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
your psu should have overcurrent protection, so the hdd should not be able to damage it.

But better safe than sorry - maybe just test it with you sig rig psu? Either swap the psu into the old case, or just test the disk with the psu as follows:

1. Unplug the psu from your case (all it's cables to be sure)
2. Plug in the hdd to a sata power connector, and plug in the psu to the wall
3. Jumper the green wire on the 20/24 pin mobo connector on the to one of the black wires on the same connector (use a short piece of wire, or even a bent paper clip) and the psu will start up (watch the psu fan start up). If it starts then immediately stops then it is the drive not the psu playing up, and it is probably time to give up & bin it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:

your psu should have overcurrent protection, so the hdd should not be able to damage it.

But better safe than sorry - maybe just test it with you sig rig psu? Either swap the psu into the old case, or just test the disk with the psu as follows:

1. Unplug the psu from your case (all it's cables to be sure)

2. Plug in the hdd to a sata power connector, and plug in the psu to the wall

3. Jumper the green wire on the 20/24 pin mobo connector on the to one of the black wires on the same connector (use a short piece of wire, or even a bent paper clip) and the psu will start up (watch the psu fan start up). If it starts then immediately stops then it is the drive not the psu playing up, and it is probably time to give up & bin it...
I did all these things to no success, when I put said hard drive in an external enclosure the hard driver works fine, I just can't boot from it

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Look for posts by Franc Zabkar (Fzabkar) at HDDguru.com, WDC.com, Seagate.com, and his own website. Your HD may have blown an IC protector, which is a zener diode meant to protect the electronics from overvoltage by shorting out. However that short is supposed to pop a fuse inline with it, so the HD shouldn't prevent the computer from turning on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.