Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,100 Posts
I have no doubt it will be a great game but I don't think Turn based is the right approach. I think larian is sticking with what they know and just weaving in the lore and the combat rules. I'm still excited to play it however it turns out. I want a real NWN succesor those two games were freaking awesome. Dragon's Age was there until they absolutely butchered it and when to an action game.

It felt more Divinity then Forgotten realms.
To me, Forgotten Realms is D&D. And this game is very nearly straight-up 5th Edition.

That's a win in my book, regardless of what other D&D games have done before.

Is it exactly in the mold of BG1/2? Maybe not. Will it be awesome? Sure as hell looks like it.

·
PC Enthusiast
975 Posts
Divinity OS & OS2 are both my fav.

BG3 looks like a pretty upgrade in terms of visuals and story telling, day 1 purchase for me. Very excited. :)

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
true or false, D&D is a turn based game... ?
bunch of old timers on my team are old school pen & paper players. they're quite confused as to why everyone's upset its turn based, specially knowing Larian was making it :p

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Sad they didn't make it MMORPG.

·
Robotic Chemist
2,927 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
true or false, D&D is a turn based game... ?
bunch of old timers on my team are old school pen & paper players. they're quite confused as to why everyone's upset its turn based, specially knowing Larian was making it :p
I'm currently playing bg 1 again right now and honestly the combat kinda sucks the turn based will probably be refreshing. You end up pausing every 3 seconds anyway to issue new commands to people like wizards. I just hope they really make it forgotten realms. The bit of gameplay i watched screamed divinity. Either way like i said before the game looks like fun and I loved their previous 2 games.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
Sad they didn't make it MMORPG.
no bro. it's not sad larian did not make it into an MMO. Though, you could argue a new neverwinter would be refreshing.
I'm currently playing bg 1 again right now and honestly the combat kinda sucks the turn based will probably be refreshing. You end up pausing every 3 seconds anyway to issue new commands to people like wizards. I just hope they really make it forgotten realms. The bit of gameplay i watched screamed divinity. Either way like i said before the game looks like fun and I loved their previous 2 games.
people get confused because there was some sorta diablo'like BG released at some point during the PS1 generation... at least, this is what I pieced together today @ work. my boss pointed out the spin off title.

most definitely screams divinity, but if you spend any time around the community, most of them would tell you divinity screams d&d.

haven't done my research. wonder if they're gonna release a tool set & DM mode at some point.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,785 Posts
I think Never Winter Nights is better than BG.
Dang Wolcen had a lot of promise and from most observations it still needs a year or so back in the oven...
I finally got around to watching the reveal video linked in this thread.

Wow, it's from the same devs as Divinity: Original Sin and a reskin of that game with Balder's Gate 3. Literally, a reskin on top of the same engine. No wonder it's turned based as was Divinity: Original Sin.

If I did not know it was supposed to be BG3, I would have guessed a DLC for Divinity: Original Sin 2.

But why???

If Origins wanted to be that lazy, they should have sidestepped Larian and went to Obsidian if they were going to reskin as a Pillars of Eternity reskin would have at least had real time play.

On a side note, I own Never Winter Nights on GOG and have not gotten around to playing that one yet.

Also, I funded the Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Kickstarter back when the game was known as Umbra for $15 CAD. I have the game on steam and will wait until they can't patch the game anymore and it's stable. I'm in no hurry to download and play the game.

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,745 Posts
The graphics are not great and the drawn out turn-based gameplay makes me think "wait after release".

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
you'll answer unlike others.
why did you expect something other than a turned based experience from a D&D product? & why would you expect larian to divert from the engine they've been honing now for almost a decade?

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,785 Posts
you'll answer unlike others.
why did you expect something other than a turned based experience from a D&D product? & why would you expect larian to divert from the engine they've been honing now for almost a decade?
"why did you expect something other than a turned based experience from a D&D product?": Because BG was never turn based.

"& why would you expect larian to divert from the engine they've been honing now for almost a decade?": Had no clue they were going to outsource when you could have used BioWare, BIOWARE and like I said they should have gone to Obsidian if they wanted to be that lazy.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
i mean really, they should present people with a choice between pausing/turning, or not;). "time" then take longer to develop it. Hopefully they listen to all the aggro and get to work on letting people truly play how they want :D

idk how I feel about having bioware do it, even though its originally their baby.

I was secretly hoping it would come out not even being isometric, but all 1st/3rd person, but then i heard Larian, n was like "oh, that makes sense, that's basically what they've been working towards all this time" but the game play looks awesome either way. Divinity with way better graphical value, or not. :p I wanna mind flay the world, which hopefully is around by the time i get around to picking up a copy. something tells me there's gonna be a flood of DLC.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Seems as those who were old enough to remember Baldurs Gate the PC game and loved it mostly wanted an evolution of that game. And those who were too young for it then couldn't care less because it looks like a fantastic Larian game.

When I say evolution I mean what Doom 2016 is to OG Doom. It has similar tone and fast paced action brought forward 20 years so it feels souped up and new. This to me is more like they took Dooms IP and made it a cover shooter. I like both but its not really Doom then.

I wonder why they even bothered to call it Baldurs Gate. D&D is huge in itself so why not call it something else under that name. They engaged the nostalgia factor of some of the highest rated games of all time and then pulled the rug out from under it.

Wizards of the Coast had an influence here too. They would want kids to play a game like this as a gateway to selling more tabletop. It being turn based and co-op and based off the new rule set.

Its also nowhere near finished so we have to wait and see how the story goes, as that's not for me one of Larians strong points. D:OS 1 and 2 were great fun though so I'll definitely play it, but the messaging has been a bit confusing.

·
PC Enthusiast
975 Posts

Wow, it's from the same devs as Divinity: Original Sin and a reskin of that game with Balder's Gate 3. Literally, a reskin on top of the same engine. No wonder it's turned based as was Divinity: Original Sin.

If I did not know it was supposed to be BG3, I would have guessed a DLC for Divinity: Original Sin 2.

But why???

If Origins wanted to be that lazy, they should have sidestepped Larian and went to Obsidian if they were going to reskin as a Pillars of Eternity reskin would have at least had real time play.

On a side note, I own Never Winter Nights on GOG and have not gotten around to playing that one yet.

Also, I funded the Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Kickstarter back when the game was known as Umbra for $15 CAD. I have the game on steam and will wait until they can't patch the game anymore and it's stable. I'm in no hurry to download and play the game.
How I see it is,
Pillars of Eternity flopped hard & Obsidian aren't going to get any similar projects anytime soon.
Microsoft bought them, I believe?

Whereas Turn based tactical combat & CRPG elements of Divinity series made Larian a pretty big company.
Just looking at BG3's character & animation quality, I can see that they have spent big.

There aren't many companies that are making games like these & making a big impact/ profit other than Larian.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,785 Posts
How I see it is,
Pillars of Eternity flopped hard & Obsidian aren't going to get any similar projects anytime soon.
Microsoft bought them, I believe?

Whereas Turn based tactical combat & CRPG elements of Divinity series made Larian a pretty big company.
Just looking at BG3's character & animation quality, I can see that they have spent big.

There aren't many companies that are making games like these & making a big impact/ profit other than Larian.
I finished both the first Pillars and Divinity and both rated high and sold close to each other. I enjoyed both style of play tremendously and it kept the monotony from creeping in as both play styles were different.

I also finished Divinity 2 and I've yet to play Pillars 2 but I will when I complete Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3.

It don't matter that Pillars 2 did not sell as well, they just needed to re-purpose that engine since it suited BG3 better. Anyone buying BG3 couldn't give a toss what Pillars did or did not accomplish.

One thing to consider here and let's face it is that the majority of gamers these days are threatened if they have to think too much and may prefer the simpler turn based rather than real time. I mean when you rather pay to win (multi billion dollar business these days) to finish a game than put the effort into it...

Either way, BioWare (even though they have struck out of late) should have handled the story and used Obsidian's engine if they wanted to remain faithful to the game style while being simultaneously lazy.

·
PC Enthusiast
975 Posts
I finished both the first Pillars and Divinity and both rated high and sold close to each other. I enjoyed both style of play tremendously and it kept the monotony from creeping in as both play styles were different.

I also finished Divinity 2 and I've yet to play Pillars 2 but I will when I complete Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3.

It don't matter that Pillars 2 did not sell as well, they just needed to re-purpose that engine since it suited BG3 better. Anyone buying BG3 couldn't give a toss what Pillars did or did not accomplish.

One thing to consider here and let's face it is that the majority of gamers these days are threatened if they have to think too much and may prefer the simpler turn based rather than real time. I mean when you rather pay to win (multi billion dollar business these days) to finish a game than put the effort into it...

Either way, BioWare (even though they have struck out of late) should have handled the story and used Obsidian's engine if they wanted to remain faithful to the game style while being simultaneously lazy.
Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Baldur's gate is an IP of D&D which is owned by WoTC.

And, BG 3 is being developed & published by Larian.

Bioware & Obsidian have nothing to do with it. Both are behind Larian in terms of developing a successful CRPG with Real time or Turn based tactics.
They wouldn't risk making a game which currently they are not proficient with.

Larian with their huge success with Divinity series, seem very confident & have taken a leap of faith with Baldur's gate IP.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,785 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Baldur's gate is an IP of D&D which is owned by WoTC.

And, BG 3 is being developed & published by Larian.

Bioware & Obsidian have nothing to do with it. Both are behind Larian in terms of developing a successful CRPG with Real time or Turn based tactics.
They wouldn't risk making a game which currently they are not proficient with.

Larian with their huge success with Divinity series, seem very confident & have taken a leap of faith with Baldur's gate IP.
You are missing my point. Could care less who owns what or who's working on it, it should remain real time and for that Obsidian is "more proficient". They could have used uncle Tom's Tin Buck 2 engine as long as it remained real time.

In my view, they should have used a totally new engine since it looks way too much like Divinity and will definitely take me out of the BG3 "D&D" world and put me in a Divinity DLC one.

·
Politically incorrect
9,214 Posts
But D&D is turn-based. This is exactly what I have in mind for a D&D-based PC game.
Waiting for others to decide what they're doing or progress the story is just incredible.

To me, Forgotten Realms is D&D. And this game is very nearly straight-up 5th Edition.

That's a win in my book, regardless of what other D&D games have done before.

Is it exactly in the mold of BG1/2? Maybe not. Will it be awesome? Sure as hell looks like it.
I detest 5th edition, it's ridiculous. Thus, I prefer 3.5 and still continue to use it.

Exactly so the PC game might as well be turn based, if you don't pause the moment someone does something things go horribly wrong.

·
PC Enthusiast
975 Posts
You are missing my point. Could care less who owns what or who's working on it, it should remain real time and for that Obsidian is "more proficient". They could have used uncle Tom's Tin Buck 2 engine as long as it remained real time.

In my view, they should have used a totally new engine since it looks way too much like Divinity and will definitely take me out of the BG3 "D&D" world and put me in a Divinity DLC one.
I understand that hardcore fans want a real time BG that does not look like Divinity. And I agree that BG3 looks very similar to Divinity OS 2.

But,
Obsidian's past real time rpgs have not done well in sales. Especially POE 2.
They even had to introduce turn based mode in POE2 to captivate a broader audience.

Larian's Divinity Style, Turn base tactics, CRPG is very popular, has a much broader audience & has a proven sales record.

Point is, Given the recent huge success of D:OS2(And failures of Obsidian), Larian is targeting their Divinity/ Turn based tactics fan base rather than the original real time BG fans.

I understand what you wished, But given what happened with Obsidian & POE2 , It just wasn't realistic.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts