Overclock.net banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
How I see it is,
Pillars of Eternity flopped hard & Obsidian aren't going to get any similar projects anytime soon.
Microsoft bought them, I believe?

Whereas Turn based tactical combat & CRPG elements of Divinity series made Larian a pretty big company.
Just looking at BG3's character & animation quality, I can see that they have spent big.

There aren't many companies that are making games like these & making a big impact/ profit other than Larian.
there's been a slight resurgence of isometric as of recent. on top of divinity series you have Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Disco Elysium, Beautiful Desolation just dropped, and lots of little ones scattered in between.

·
Facepalm
8,277 Posts
I finished both the first Pillars and Divinity and both rated high and sold close to each other. I enjoyed both style of play tremendously and it kept the monotony from creeping in as both play styles were different.

I also finished Divinity 2 and I've yet to play Pillars 2 but I will when I complete Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3.

It don't matter that Pillars 2 did not sell as well, they just needed to re-purpose that engine since it suited BG3 better. Anyone buying BG3 couldn't give a toss what Pillars did or did not accomplish.

One thing to consider here and let's face it is that the majority of gamers these days are threatened if they have to think too much and may prefer the simpler turn based rather than real time. I mean when you rather pay to win (multi billion dollar business these days) to finish a game than put the effort into it...

Either way, BioWare (even though they have struck out of late) should have handled the story and used Obsidian's engine if they wanted to remain faithful to the game style while being simultaneously lazy.
And, the people who were involved with System Shock 2 "tried" to make System Shock 3. And we all know what happened with that, didn't we?
I'd rather have a company with a proven track record work on "Original Sin 3: Baldur's Gate" than a company that tries to rekindle 90's RTWP gameplay.

BG2, while it was a good game, did NOT have the best combat system in the world. Did each and every person here completely forget about how difficult it was to aim fireballs in BG1 and 2? And Delayed Blast Fireball and Cloudkill? Forget it.
I guess the same people are running around praising Ultima 7 as the best RPG ever when its combat system was one of the worst ever. (Let's all remember Iolo shooting quarrels into the back of the Avatar). Ultima 5 had the best combat system of the series (as long as you didn't abuse the invisibility ring bugs).
The Gold Box games handled AOE spells a lot more like traditional D&D.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
And, the people who were involved with System Shock 2 "tried" to make System Shock 3. And we all know what happened with that, didn't we?
I'd rather have a company with a proven track record work on "Original Sin 3: Baldur's Gate" than a company that tries to rekindle 90's RTWP gameplay.

BG2, while it was a good game, did NOT have the best combat system in the world. Did each and every person here completely forget about how difficult it was to aim fireballs in BG1 and 2? And Delayed Blast Fireball and Cloudkill? Forget it.
I guess the same people are running around praising Ultima 7 as the best RPG ever when its combat system was one of the worst ever. (Let's all remember Iolo shooting quarrels into the back of the Avatar). Ultima 5 had the best combat system of the series (as long as you didn't abuse the invisibility ring bugs).
The Gold Box games handled AOE spells a lot more like traditional D&D.
The system you are referring to is 20 years old. The games that have been inspired from it recently have not particularly innovated on the idea. That's what I was hoping for from Larian.

I played a couple of hundred hours of D:OS1 and 2 and like them a lot. I would have been very excited for Larian does D&D, they just shouldnt have called it Baldurs Gate. Then it wouldnt have offended those with nostalgia for the originals, and younger people couldnt care less about Baldurs Gate anyway.

But it happened, annoying that there wont be a true sequel, but interested to see what this game turns out to be.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I'm really, really glad they didn't.
Why? RPG's are an old and outdated style of play. I miss the days of FF11! Best MMORPG ever.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
Why? RPG's are an old and outdated style of play. I miss the days of FF11! Best MMORPG ever.
ok, you redeemed yourself here a little :D

there are FF11 private servers, great time really. Never having to compete with JP for NM pops, etc. it's a couple hundred super die hard active people per server.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
Because I like what this game will be better. MMORPGs just don't work the same these days.
its pretty much all been a joke since RMT got brought in house, then cranked up to 10x the intensity. Also, WoW setting the standard of nerfing content for the baddies as soon as new content comes out (yes yes, i know, but then they release hard modes!!)

the service desk bros got into again about what original baldur's gate's combat style qualifies as. how about, pull up a video? seems lots of people remember Dark Alliance's combat as the entire series' combat style.

(not saying one way or another, as I've already confirmed. my memory is shart)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Because I like what this game will be better. MMORPGs just don't work the same these days.
Facts. Sad as it may be MMORPG's are trash these days. I wish someone would buck the current trend and create something that would rival FF11's intensity.

its pretty much all been a joke since RMT got brought in house, then cranked up to 10x the intensity. Also, WoW setting the standard of nerfing content for the baddies as soon as new content comes out (yes yes, i know, but then they release hard modes!!)

the service desk bros got into again about what original baldur's gate's combat style qualifies as. how about, pull up a video? seems lots of people remember Dark Alliance's combat as the entire series' combat style.

(not saying one way or another, as I've already confirmed. my memory is shart)
100%!!! Always laughed at players complaining about RMT in WOW and FF11/14, like you know the SE or whoever is running that to keep people around right? lol

And the nerfing only became necessary for me because I took such a long hiatus from the game. But I definitely agree nerfing blows.

·
waifu for lifu
11,203 Posts
61 - 69 of 69 Posts