Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Stalker is my very favourite game based on a ponderous Tarkovsky film, and also one of my top five games of all time. I imagine a lot of people feel similarly, which is why the following news is rather exciting: Stalker (or, if you prefer, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) developers GSC Game World are back in business. They're working on an "old-fashioned, full price", unrevealed new game at the moment, though whether it's a Stalker type game or a Heroes of Annihilated Empires type game, or even a Cossacksy one is still unclear. It could also, obviously, be something completely different
http://www.pcgamer.com/gsc-gameworld-developers-of-stalker-are-back-in-business/

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr soft View Post

They still have the rights and the material for STALKER 2
make it happen please .
Pleeeaaseee.

Hearing that STALKER 2 was cancelled was pretty much the worst game-news I heard of in a long time. This just makes it worse; it sounds like there was a ton of potential (new engine). Hopefully they'll sort things out and make it happen.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Quote:
"I don't really know enough about them, but the story is quite funny. These guys were basically promoting themselves as being the STALKER team, that they were working on STALKER, but that's not true. When we were working on STALKER 2, we were also planning on releasing a browser game based on STALKER so we could keep the audience engaged until released.

"That project was never finished. There were mistakes. But the guys at West Games, that was the STALKER project they were working on - a flash game. So when they promoted themselves as having worked on STALKER, I was quite surprised. We would definitely win the legal action against them, but we won't start it. They used a lot of the ideas from STALKER... I don't know what they were thinking, starting that. I haven't heard from them for quite a while."
This explains the fake stalker team.
Quote:
"The X-Ray engine was quite ahead of its time, but only in 2007, not 2010. The new engines in CoD and Battlefield had started to arrive so we needed to get better. It was maybe 70 to 80 per cent ready. It was a huge step up from X-Ray. It was oriented on PC and Xbox 360, and there were plans for it to work on PlayStation eventually.

"Everything is stored! We have all the assets, materials and engine."

That last part is very good news. As far as I can tell, GSC Game World still own the rights to Stalker, so there's still an X-Ray of hope for Stalker 2. (The rights situation, as impressively detailed here, is enormously confusing.) As for their new game, "we don't think free-to-play is the right model for the game we want to make. So we're making an old-fashioned, full price game, we think our audience will be happy about that. We're expecting a lot of our old audience!"
They still own Stalker. I wonder how good the improved engine is. The X-ray engine is pretty good at that time but its 2014, lets see what they can do now
tongue.gif

·
Turd Burglar
2,148 Posts
Sweet mother of Christ yes!

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I still haven’t got over the cancellation of stalker 2. Since then dayz / rust type games fill the gap but they would be poor imitations compared to my dream of stalker 2 in 4k glory..

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
just hope they release stalker 2

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
stalker is still dead, still missing core team member, not good news to me at all. if they did release stalker 2 it would suck, it would be different due to missing team members AND they are talking about a different market or how it's changed so that means massive changes.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
lot of excitement for something we won't see for 5 years. Then if its anything like their previous games it will be nearly unplayable due to bugs. So I'm afraid from me, they get a solid "Meh..."

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoublejj View Post

stalker is still dead, still missing core team member, not good news to me at all. if they did release stalker 2 it would suck, it would be different due to missing team members AND they are talking about a different market or how it's changed so that means massive changes.
Actually, it says in the interview that they still want to do things the "old-fashioned" way despite the changing market.

Also, why is missing original team members that big of a deal?

Anywho.. I'm glad that they're back. Even if we don't get a STALKER game anytime soon, at least there's hope again. I would love to see a STALKER sequel based around the Southern Comfort book since it's a new but not unfamiliar setting (a new "zone" in Afghanistan; If anyone is interested, I believe legitimate eBook versions of SC and its sequel Northern Passage can be found for free on various sites). Plus, I think three games exploring the same area is plenty enough.

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

Actually, it says in the interview that they still want to do things the "old-fashioned" way despite the changing market.

Also, why is missing original team members that big of a deal?

Anywho.. I'm glad that they're back. Even if we don't get a STALKER game anytime soon, at least there's hope again. I would love to see a STALKER sequel based around the Southern Comfort book since it's a new but not unfamiliar setting (a new "zone" in Afghanistan; If anyone is interested, I believe legitimate eBook versions of SC and its sequel Northern Passage can be found for free on various sites). Plus, I think three games exploring the same area is plenty enough.
why would having the mono lease be made by any other artist a big deal? yes it's little bit over an overstatement but, it gets the idea a crossed. different artist different music, different team different game, different atmosphere and writing and art style and level design etc etc.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

why would having the mono lease be made by any other artist a big deal? yes it's little bit over an overstatement but, it gets the idea a crossed. different artist different music, different team different game, different atmosphere and writing and art style and level design etc etc.
I think you are over exaggerating. It is still a Ukrainian/Russian team, the atmosphere will be preserved.

·
Programmer
28,683 Posts
S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are the only titles I will accept intense stuttering and fps drops.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Quote:

Mono lease? Did you mean Mona Lisa?

None of what you mentioned has to be different just because the team is a bit different. It's not like new developers, artists, composers, etc. are gonna join the team then force their styles into a game. They may add a little a bit of their own flare but I doubt they'd be allowed to have too much creative freedom especially if they're working on an existing IP.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonFanatic View Post

lot of excitement for something we won't see for 5 years. Then if its anything like their previous games it will be nearly unplayable due to bugs. So I'm afraid from me, they get a solid "Meh..."
I played through all of the Stalker games without mods and I didn't think any of them were all that buggy.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

I played through all of the Stalker games without mods and I didn't think any of them were all that buggy.
I think the game was plagued more by small bugs that were more humerous/slightly inconvenient than anything game breaking.

To put it into perspective though, just look at how damn huge those games are and how much there is to do. Compare that to a Bethesda game? At least GSC doesn't sit there waiting for the community to patch their game for them.

·
Registered
882 Posts
<3<3<3<3

Don't hate but Clear Skies was my favorite S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It had the largest free roaming world and the most sandbox type feel. The buggy factions were at least an attempt to add to that sandbox feel that i envisioned when Shadow of Chernobyl was announced.

100+ hours in Clear Skies

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIDWULF View Post

<3<3<3<3

Don't hate but Clear Skies was my favorite S.T.A.L.K.E.R. It had the largest free roaming world and the most sandbox type feel. The buggy factions were at least an attempt to add to that sandbox feel that i envisioned when Shadow of Chernobyl was announced.

100+ hours in Clear Skies
You can do factions in Shadow over Chernobyl with the Complete mod
smile.gif
I think a couple others allow it too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts