Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Don't be surprised if that DRAM kit you've been looking at goes up in price. According to IC Insights, the average selling price (ASP) of DRAM has more than doubled in the past 12 months and is still on the rise. Looking at 2017, the market research firm expects DRAM pricing to jump by 40 percent or more by the end of the year, which would be its largest annual increase ever (going from January to December).
This is speculation which is why I am posting it in the rumours section. It's not set in concrete yet, but it is looking like that it might happened. Time to start stocking up on ram I guess?

Source

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,346 Posts
So is this going to drive up the notion that 8GB is high-end levels of RAM again? I mean... my friend bought 16GB DDR4 3200 back in like... march for around $70. Now that same kit is over $160. If we're gonna hit DDR2 level prices, I'm officially going to flip *****. Just another hard drive price scandal...

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
pretty simple, allocate my budget to buy nothing new then....

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

Oh man. Between this and current GPU prices, it's a bad time for new builds and upgrades, isn't it?
Tell me about it.
1000 EUR chips, 700 EUR mobos, 400-500 EUR RAM, and 1400 EUR EKWB estimate for my hard tubing as nowadays 1000 cores cannot be cooled with AIR properly. Its a very sad time for some of us who want to finally upgrade.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
This is most likely following the news about GDDR prices going up too. The market has been on a roller coaster lately. Miners driving GPU prices up and now with some mining decisions as of late and probably more stock of GPUs, prices are coming down a bit, especially for AMD Polaris GPUs, but overall they are, both AMD and Nvidia cards, still priced around 10% higher than in June (and in June they were above what they should be...), but going by the rumours of GDDR pricing also going up, that should change soon again.

So, buy DDR4 and GDDR5 equipped GPUs now, or wait for the next round of saner prices; when that will happen is anyone's guess.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
and these all happened after Ryzen and ThreadRipper came out, coincidence?

·
Ooh, custom titles :D
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

and these all happened after Ryzen and ThreadRipper came out, coincidence?
What are you implying?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The appeal of just getting a cheap PS4 keeps increasing in wake of skyrocketing cost of computer hardware.

·
Engineer & Gamer
6 Posts
I've noticed DDR4 kits to be something of a roller coaster the past 1.5 yrs. When I bought my Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB kit, they were AU$269. I got a call a week later from the store manager (I knew him) telling me the new stock would be AU$80 more and he had 1 kit left @ my price if I wanted them. So I grabbed them. And the price did increase. Now, I can get them from Newegg for AU$225. *shrug*
rolleyes.gif

I have seen others go up & down. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the price increase. I have heard from my friend that stock is becoming hard to get. Prices always go up then. I decided when I built my system that I wouldn't consider another until 2018/19 in the hope things would settle.

The industry has a history of not behaving as expected. At least not for long. I suppose we'll see.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTesla1856 View Post

What are you implying?
the PC market had stagnated prior to Ryzen release, now its on the roll.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

the PC market had stagnated prior to Ryzen release, now its on the roll.
LOL
biggrin.gif

You need to go outside of this forum and into reality once in a while. No one knows what Ryzen is in real life, and only enthusiasts/gamers are buying PCs nowadays.

Gaming PC components had steady increase in sales for years, there is no indication whatsoever that Ryzen accelerated sales in any way. It's just now Intel sales are slightly lower and AMD sales slightly up. That's all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How about discarding the concept of belief and instead stick to another possible correlation that it might very likely be history repeating itself again with another case of price fixing?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten42 View Post

I've noticed DDR4 kits to be something of a roller coaster the past 1.5 yrs. When I bought my Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB kit, they were AU$269. I got a call a week later from the store manager (I knew him) telling me the new stock would be AU$80 more and he had 1 kit left @ my price if I wanted them. So I grabbed them. And the price did increase. Now, I can get them from Newegg for AU$225. *shrug*
rolleyes.gif

I have seen others go up & down. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the price increase. I have heard from my friend that stock is becoming hard to get. Prices always go up then. I decided when I built my system that I wouldn't consider another until 2018/19 in the hope things would settle.

The industry has a history of not behaving as expected. At least not for long. I suppose we'll see.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
There are some sites where I can see price charts. For example Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 2400MHz was around 40€(with 20% VAT) on 26.07.16, now the lowest you can get it is 76€ (with 20% VAT). So the price doubled for an year.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit9206 View Post

The appeal of just getting a cheap PS4 keeps increasing in wake of skyrocketing cost of computer hardware.
The new Xbox One X seems like a good deal compared to the pc gaming market. This is coming from a guy that has had playstations most of his life.

·
Otherworlder
7,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottis View Post

LOL
biggrin.gif

You need to go outside of this forum and into reality once in a while. No one knows what Ryzen is in real life, and only enthusiasts/gamers are buying PCs nowadays.

Gaming PC components had steady increase in sales for years, there is no indication whatsoever that Ryzen accelerated sales in any way. It's just now Intel sales are slightly lower and AMD sales slightly up. That's all.
false, the largest consumer of computer parts are the enterprise market.
each company buy these things by the lot, that means hundreds to thousands per order.

take my university i went to for example, they swap their office equipment and student equipment every 5years, which amounts to around 10thousand units.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts