Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
waifu for lifu
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PC version of Fallout 76, for both the B.E.T.A. and the launch, will be available only via Bethesda.net, not on Steam," a Bethesda rep said in an email
source

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hahaha oh this makes me laugh. Yet another stupid decision.

·
Newsfiend
2,422 Posts
They have the fanbase to go it alone so good for them. I really am not a fan of having yet another launcher around though.

·
Asker of the Obvious
42 Posts
I might be missing something, but Bethesda’s launcher seems particularly annoying because it requires you to enter your password every time you run it (i.e. after every reboot).

·
PC Gamer
1,363 Posts
I might be missing something, but Bethesda’s launcher seems particularly annoying because it requires you to enter your password every time you run it (i.e. after every reboot).
I honestly don't think that's even an important issue (if we want to call that a issue at all).

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,026 Posts
Well dang. Really wanted to play this game.
Not interested in downloading more software. Hopefully it will hit Steam one day.

·
Asker of the Obvious
42 Posts
I honestly don't think that's even an important issue (if we want to call that a issue at all).
So you would be perfectly satisfied if you had to type your password for every start up program? :rolleyes:

·
PC Evangelist
46,965 Posts
Hahaha. Even more, reasons not to use Steam. It is so funny.

·
PC Gamer
1,363 Posts
So you would be perfectly satisfied if you had to type your password for every start up program? :rolleyes:
Every? We're talking about 1 maybe 2 programs. I wouldn't mind, that wouldn't be an issue, and it's not even a matter of perspective, it's just not an issue. Besides i currently type my steam account password every time i turn on my pc, and i also use the authenticator at every login. So yeah...

·
waifu for lifu
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like all future bethes pc games will have this new launcher if FO 76 does well...and it probably will.

·
PC Evangelist
46,965 Posts
Steam/Valve need to start making some game. In my next Windows Install, I will not even bother with Steam. I am done playing Dota 2.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I pretty much do not buy games that are not on steam anymore. Being 35 with a kid, a house, a yard, and work I really lack the ambition to check multiple sources for games. I enjoy my gaming time but I do not have to have every game. In fact, I buy fewer and fewer games any more.

Really, I just want a one-stop shop point for my games. I get an hour if I am lucky to play any given day. The more barriers and work I have to go through, the less likely I am to ever buy a game. Could I do it? Sure. I just do not want to. I have reached the point in life where when it's my time, I want quick and easy access. I know the younger folks will not understand my point. Maybe even some of the older folks. But, I know I am not the only one with similar thoughts.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Everything that is a long-running money maker, i.e. rent type games, er, I mean, regularly updated on-line games with microtransactions will tendentially move out of platforms that charge them 30%. These big companies have the infrastructure themselves to better extract money in the long run and the fan base usually spends hundreds, sometimes thousands of hours on these games, so they are invested and won't find the extra log-in too bothersome and some of them are the so called "whales" that spend large sums of money, so it's a calculated move that they think will work out. One-off games that run out after a couple of DLCs have a less predictable or less steady fan base that varies by release, so it makes sense to keep those on platforms such as Steam, which also serves as company advertisement for their other games, but the big money makers are probably all going to start moving onto their own platforms.

As far as I know, Take-Two Interactive (GTA V) and Ubisoft already do this to some extent, in that, even though their games are on Steam, for a few years now they have required you to create an account with them - even to play the single-player campaigns - and sometimes even have their own launcher launched from the launcher (Steam), so the groundwork and customer conditioning is already there to make the 100% switch any time now for the games they wish. Imagine GTA VI dropping the single-player campaign like Call of Duty recently did and becoming a souped-up daily millionaire maker compared to the already (in)famous GTA V on-line mode; that would be a serious candidate to not be available on Steam. I doubt that they'll drop the single player campaign as it serves other purposes, like drawing a caricature of modern times (although with the main age demographic these things are aimed at, they could indeed drop it and just resort to semi-telling a story through other gameplay elements), but even so, they could still release it outside of Steam.

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
So is Bethesda.net another client like Steam or Origin, or just Bethesda's online shop?

I'm not a fan of mandatory distribution platforms/clients at all.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Game was unlikely to worth anything anyway. Oh well.

·
in da freezing hell
314 Posts
Everything that is a long-running money maker, i.e. rent type games, er, I mean, regularly updated on-line games with microtransactions will tendentially move out of platforms that charge them 30%. These big companies have the infrastructure themselves to better extract money in the long run and the fan base usually spends hundreds, sometimes thousands of hours on these games, so they are invested and won't find the extra log-in too bothersome and some of them are the so called "whales" that spend large sums of money, so it's a calculated move that they think will work out.
I get this completely. But to me, as a gamer, I won't bother with yet another game shop. I have already battle.net (probably the first online shop if I recall), steam and freaking Origin (thank you, EA, for buying the Mass Effect franchise). I have enough !

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
I wonder will they offer refunds like steam. Being a bethesda game and online, it could save them money to move from steam because of refunds.

I predict a buggy mess with loads of cheaters online which will ruin the game, and no refunds.

·
Bass Enabler
944 Posts
The chances of getting this game were quite small before. Now I'm definitely not getting it. Oh well. Saved some money.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts