Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At a presentation for upcoming Dota 2-themed card game Artifact at Valve's offices in Bellevue, Washington today, Gabe Newell reiterated that Valve is getting back into developing new games beyond its current roster of multiplayer titles. After talking about Valve's focus on Steam and hardware during the past several years, which he described as "an investment in the future", Newell said "Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that's sort of good news. Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again."
source

I think we know what's coming...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Just read the article on this over at Ars, it seems like they aimed to fix the economy problems and the sense of satisfaction when playing this type of games, while still earning a lot of money on a recurring basis. Maybe they are on to something and it'll probably please people who like card games. They seemed to take the project seriously, having hired the creator of Magic: The Gathering four years ago. We'll see later this year.

It's not my thing though, so what I'm looking for is more announcements of other games.

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
Half Life 3 card game confirmed

·
Madonion.com
154 Posts
Just read the article on this over at Ars, it seems like they aimed to fix the economy problems and the sense of satisfaction when playing this type of games, while still earning a lot of money on a recurring basis. Maybe they are on to something and it'll probably please people who like card games. They seemed to take the project seriously, having hired the creator of Magic: The Gathering four years ago. We'll see later this year.

It's not my thing though, so what I'm looking for is more announcements of other games.

HL3, Panorama UI for CSGO "by the end of 2017", Source 2 for CSGO, real Anti-Cheat for CSGO. Steam store is great no doubt, but when it comes to actual games/game support Valve blow.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
Valve knows just as well as the rest of us that the third part of every trilogy has a much higher chance of being a letdown (hehe).

If they don't make a third game in series, it can't be bad ;-)

Creative numbering, just jump over whatever number you feel isn't good. It's all in the head. Why do expansions and episodes get a pass in not counting towards the total?

If we were to count them all, we'd be at 6. Not counting multiplayer and tech demos, we have:

Half-Life

Half-Life: Opposing Force

Half-Life: Blue Shift

Half-Life 2

Half-Life 2: Episode One

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

And then there's Portal 2, with elements that connect to Episode 2. That's another way to continue the story.

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Hope is rekindled! Well, maybe the tiniest, smallest, little spark of hope...but I'll take what I can get.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts
You know what, we just learned that they hired the creator of Magic: The Gathering four years ago to work on this game, so who knows what else they've been up to. Maybe the Black Mesa team was also secretly hired by Valve and it's them working on HL3. That would help explain why Xen isn't ready yet. They'll release both games finished at the same time. Orange Box v2 (they'll shift the taboo to there not being Box nr. 3).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Too little, too late for me. Doubt we will ever see anything half life, left 4 dead, or tf2 from them.

·
waifu for lifu
11,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Gabe fueling the rumor mill again. He's confirmed valve is working on single-player game with a full campaign, but conveniently forgets to name it.

*Hiring the creator of MTG must've not been cheap. Regarding those type of card games, he is basically God.

·
Newsfiend
2,421 Posts
Just sounds like a good way to get the information about their card game to spread faster.

·
:)
11,146 Posts
A few years ago was it not leaked that they worked on HL3, then scrapped it and that L4D 3 was in the making with leaked screenshots of it?

Either way, Valve has disappointed me greatly when it comes to games. Seems like they just threw away the talent they had completely... Shame, was looking forward to at least an ending to the Half Life series.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
He is just teasing. I don't think he has it in him anymore, probably too afraid of releasing a Half Life game ever again.

I would be most happy if Valve released a completely new story-focused game. Something unexpected. Single player Sci-Fi Horror game? Something like that.

Extremely unlikely though. Focus probably on boring repetitive MP games.

·
486DX2 66
3,593 Posts
Everybody on earth is reading this as: Half-Life 3 confirmed.

·
PC Evangelist
46,933 Posts
Artifact

1 - 20 of 53 Posts