·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,099 Posts

wow

reminding people to wash their hands curbs the spread

good thing we have all these armchair scientists or we'd be in super big trouble

the sooner the better, you 26 year old-ish liar. I can't think of anything more pathetic than pretending to be someone you're not on a website that's already anonymous.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
the number of people who regularly don't wash their hands after hitting the can @ work astounds me. They even do it when they know other people are in their. -.-

·
BOINC Cruncher
1,811 Posts
the number of people who regularly don't wash their hands after hitting the can @ work astounds me. They even do it when they know other people are in their. -.-

That's everyone where I work.....well since Porta-Potties don't have sinks. :p

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
A complete overreaction like all the other recently announced cancellations. This will turn out to be nothing much. A politicized virus.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,785 Posts
Take precautions but don't live in fear and don't let fear dictate your actions. Be kind to others and don't believe everything you hear on CNN/FOX/ABC or being spewed by the authorities.

This latest virus is another in a long chain that has been rolled out for many years now - H1N1, SARS, Ebola, Avian influenza, Zica, Bird flu, Swine flu etc... Recognize the patterns as they enforce and take from you a little bit more each time.

It's a strain of flu and no matter the strain it will kill people (the young and the elderly like coincidentally this one is doing). Ask yourself why the sensationalism and longevity when other strains of flu have killed more people in the past. What is it that they are after? What sort of societal changes do they want to reap? We are seeing evidence of this now and there will be more. Don't just blindly absorb what they are telling you.

They want to instill fear in the minds regardless of the reality.

I think the Pook and essanbee has this well in hand. Question everything!!

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
wow

reminding people to wash their hands curbs the spread

good thing we have all these armchair scientists or we'd be in super big trouble

In a country of 1.4 billion people, only 3000 new cases in the last 21 days

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
A complete overreaction like all the other recently announced cancellations. This will turn out to be nothing much. A politicized virus.
its both serious, and being used as ammo against a looming presidential election. the final nail in the 4 year war, they see it as.

the people on social media hyping themselves into maniacal frenzies.. well, they have something to do that over every week now don't they? luckily, the internet still isn't real life. specially the social media side of it.

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
its both serious, and being used as ammo against a looming presidential election. the final nail in the 4 year war, they see it as.

the people on social media hyping themselves into maniacal frenzies.. well, they have something to do that over every week now don't they? luckily, the internet still isn't real life. specially the social media side of it.
When the impeachment kerfluffle didn't have the desired effect , I was about certain this would happen.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
it's not the plague, it's just sensationalism. don't have an international orgy (and wash your hands if you do) and you're probably gonna be fine so long as you aren't already immunocompromised and/or elderly.
Ah, for sure, I agree with you. The recession is gonna be fueled by the panic much more so than the disease itself.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,769 Posts
When the impeachment kerfluffle didn't have the desired effect , I was about certain this would happen.
let's not ruffle mod feathers, but... i've gotta ask.

what happen?

globalists releasing killer viruses?

or finding yet another thing to run with?

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
let's not ruffle mod feathers, but... i've gotta ask.

what happen?

globalists releasing killer viruses?

or finding yet another thing to run with?
A liberal media driven " crisis" aiming to undermine a good economy during a conservative presidency.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
It's a strain of flu and no matter the strain it will kill people (the young and the elderly like coincidentally this one is doing).
It's similar to the flu, but it's not the flu. And that is what is so scary. Getting one does not develop anti-bodies to the other, so they can operate in tandem and cause some real serious damage. That's why it needs to be nipped in the bud now, before it becomes a foregone annual conclusion.

You are right that both sides on the political aisle are trying to weaponize this for the election, but that isn't mutually exclusive to the disease being a real long term threat to a lot of people.

·
I Love this Hobby!
7,785 Posts
It's similar to the flu, but it's not the flu. And that is what is so scary. Getting one does not develop anti-bodies to the other, so they can operate in tandem and cause some real serious damage. That's why it needs to be nipped in the bud now, before it becomes a foregone annual conclusion.

You are right that both sides on the political aisle are trying to weaponize this for the election, but that isn't mutually exclusive to the disease being a real long term threat to a lot of people.
https://www.ynhhs.org/patient-care/urgent-care/flu-or-coronavirus

I looked it up and they say it's a virus like the flu is a virus and they both have the same symptoms. There really is not much info after that. The best they can say is that "Human coronaviruses are common throughout the world... More is being learned about this new virus every day..." This strain appears to have emanated from "... a previously unrecognized bat coronavirus." So not from a human strain but a more mysterious bat strain. At least they changed it up and it does not originate from a pig or a monkey this time.

"Coronavirus vs. the flu: Which is a greater threat? COVID-19 and the flu are both contagious viruses that cause respiratory illness. While public health officials are still learning more about symptoms and severity of COVID-19 vs. the flu, the best way to prevent either illness is to take everyday precautions including frequent hand washing; refraining from touching your eyes, nose and mouth; and staying home if you are sick."

They than go on talking about a flu overview and prevention is similar to the Coronavirus (washing etc...) with a distinction in preventative measures by taking the flu shot. No mention on how to treat Coronavirus. Like the common cold, there will be no treatment just more preventative measures.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Methinks it will feel like influenza without flu shot to most, and this doesn't mutate as much but can spread very wide, much more than SARS, for example. It can be deadly to anyone with compromised immune system or those with existing illness like diabetes. So don't go the hospital if you suspect you have it, self-quarantine inside the house and monitor symptoms, unless they get serious. Call in regional health services for directions.

There are two approaches going on in the world against coronavirus, actually largely three,

1. Shutting down everything, like what China did, and now Italy is trying to emulate
2. Tracking everyone with illness, tracing their movements finding more potential patients, followed by testing and treatment. South Korea is doing it.
3. Limited treatment and largely treating it as just another flu, which is Japanese method

Which method is most effective I'm not so sure, but I know 2. is the hardest to do and limit damage the most, and 3. is likely what the US was pursuing but had to revert to other course because reasons (election).

Healthy and young people don't need to fear this disease but with those who often mingle with vulnerable population should likely adopt more vigilance. And being social animals we are, responsible for not only ourselves but others, should follow at least proper hygienic etiquette and vigilance at the least. Stay safe and healthy guys.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,468 Posts
I'm reading the official numbers. Everything else is pure speculation on my part.

I said in the very same post that the number is inflated by poor measures. Regardless, strain on healthcare systems, which are palpable, non-theoretical bodies that affect lives in real ways, increases the mortality rate.

I mean, I can quote the estimate they have for a fully prepared country, which is around 0,5%. But that value is meaningless because Europe and, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent, the Americas are terribly ill-prepared.

My country is now talking about measures that will start being enforced monday next week - ones that should have been taken A WEEK AGO. Our healthcare system is in pretty bad shape as is; I don't want to know what will happen when thousands start flooding it real soon.
I didn't read everything in this thread before replying to you. I'm only human.

idk why you even took that retort seriously.

sounded like someone that caught the news on the way home, n dates a nurse.

Not a nurse, she works in an office for UC Davis but that is beside the point. If you fee something I said is untrue, feel free to point it out. If not, your criticism is unfounded and meaningless noise.

·
mfw
8,617 Posts

·
Fantastic Mr Fox
5,857 Posts
Ask yourself why the sensationalism and longevity when other strains of flu have killed more people in the past.
Probably because the caseload for influenza is more manageable. Italy doesn't collapse every year due to influenza. Also, influenza isn't asymptomatic, whereas COVID-19 can be, which puts vulnerable people at more risk because they can't be certain if apparently healthy people are not carriers.

A liberal media driven " crisis" aiming to undermine a good economy during a conservative presidency.
It might surprise you to learn that most of the world has no interest in undermining your economy and yet is still treating it as a crisis.

·
mfw
8,617 Posts
Probably because the caseload for influenza is more manageable. Italy doesn't collapse every year due to influenza. Also, influenza isn't asymptomatic, whereas COVID-19 can be, which puts vulnerable people at more risk because they can't be certain if apparently healthy people are not carriers.

It might surprise you to learn that most of the world has no interest in undermining your economy and yet is still treating it as a crisis.
I'm surprised it's TP they ran out of and not tin foil.

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,728 Posts
So is this thread about E3 or COVID-19?

If we stay on track, I don't think anyone is surprised E3 would be cancelled. As the writing was on the wall for a long time now. It's a shame that the focus is now on COVID. Sure, it is a legitimate excuse to cancel the event.

However, there is much more going on behind the scenes here with E3. Sony skipping, Nintendo with their directs, Geoff Keighley skipping etc.

Long story short, E3 was already on its way out...

To my understanding, E3 had one main function:

1. Provide an opportunity for developers, publishers, and other members of the industry to connect. Not the public.

However, the "connection" has become largely irrelevant over the past years. As many people across the web pointed, the barrier for entry is become so high, that events like PAX have becoming the stepping stones for many developers.

E3 tried to adapt many times over the years (refer to 2007, 2017 etc.) but ultimately, if it cannot serve it's purpose (item #1), what is the point? Why pay millions of dollars for a booth or a 5mn slot on a stage event? Everyone is now realizing that the tools necessary to get recognized are already available and are 100% viable.

Barrier to entry is once again lower, you have greater exposure, larger audience, and most importantly, you can control your message.

I say kudos to those for challenging the status quo.

41 - 60 of 305 Posts