Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Sony's console virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR, has a chance of making its way to PC, an executive at the company has hinted.
Masayasu Ito, Sony Computer Entertainment's senior vice president, told Nikkei that making PSVR compatible with PCs is something there is a potential for:
"Since PlayStation 4 shares a lot of its components with PCs, the possibility is there. At the moment we are focused on games and we are not ready to make any announcements at this stage, but I'd say there will be an expansion into various fields."
source

Any thoughts if this happens?

Currently PSVR with two move controllers cost $500 bucks. Oculus is $600 without the oculus controllers and Vive is $800 with the controllers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLeakStuff View Post

Lol I agree
biggrin.gif


Sure it is lower resolution but hey why not?
biggrin.gif
 

·
Crayon Evangelist
Joined
·
7,609 Posts
Competition drives prices down and spurs innovation. I dont see myself going this route, as I dont own a PS4, but for those that do, being able to play PS4 and PC exclusives with the same headset is a win-win. Probably wont require the same spec'd PC either, might get away with a bit less horsepower.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Competition drives prices down and spurs innovation. I dont see myself going this route, as I dont own a PS4, but for those that do, being able to play PS4 and PC exclusives with the same headset is a win-win. Probably wont require the same spec'd PC either, might get away with a bit less horsepower.
That's how I feel too. Imagine owning a PS4 and PC AND having to use your VR headset on both. That is fantastic and a big plus for PSVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I'd be all over this. I've already pre-ordered PSVR since it's the more family friendly option (really wanted a Rift for Elite Dangerous). It would be great if I could use one HMD for both platforms.
 

·
pass the lortabs
Joined
·
5,004 Posts
They'd be foolish not to if the opportunity is there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,248 Posts
i cant help but wonder where the big sony proprietary screw up will be if they launch the PS4 VR on the PC.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Lol I agree
biggrin.gif


Sure it is lower resolution but hey why not?
biggrin.gif
You're wrong. It's resolution is higher: the others are pentile, this one is rgb. It looks visually more pleasing.
 

·
I <3 narcissists
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
I don't see why it would be that difficult to make it work. If people can make software that lets you use your mobile phone as a VR headsets for PC's then Sony can make the PSVR work for PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,628 Posts
Would be great to have a full Sony platform available on PC, given the playstations have had some great exclusive titles. Let's see how exactly their sales model will look like, considering there's been some PS4 games coming out on PC, too, in recent times.

Not to forget the price point of the unit. I'd love to get an HMD for 400 euros, instead of 740 euros. Sony after all, has full fledged sales channels in europe, occulus not so much. But maybe by the time they release the sony thing, occulus catches up.
 

·
I <3 narcissists
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcham View Post

this would be good for people with low spec computers, with a mid range gpu.
Depends on your definition of low spec and midrange, most people consider the GTX 970 to be mid range and that is the entry level for Rift and Vive. If you are thinking the PSVR would run good with low end hardware you are probably mistaken. There isn't a big resolution difference between the Rift/Vive and the PSVR, without the console optimized game the PSVR (on PC) will probably require nearly the same amount of horsepower to get a good experience. The upside is that maybe you can get the 120hz refresh rate on PC as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdubb View Post

Depends on your definition of low spec and midrange, most people consider the GTX 970 to be mid range and that is the entry level for Rift and Vive. If you are thinking the PSVR would run good with low end hardware you are probably mistaken. There isn't a big resolution difference between the Rift/Vive and the PSVR, without the console optimized game the PSVR (on PC) will probably require nearly the same amount of horsepower to get a good experience. The upside is that maybe you can get the 120hz refresh rate on PC as well.
Maybe most people on this forum would consider the GTX 970 to be midrange, but the other 99% of PC owners would consider that high end (myself included).

If Sony came along and said the minimum hardware specs for PSVR are equivalent to the PS4 (~Radeon 7850), that would open the door up to many more people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
That will be great. We can play both PC and PS4 exclusive games. Even if Sony does not let us use it with PC. Am sure someone will find a way to get it to work.
 

·
Crayon Evangelist
Joined
·
7,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosstar View Post

Maybe most people on this forum would consider the GTX 970 to be midrange, but the other 99% of PC owners would consider that high end (myself included).

If Sony came along and said the minimum hardware specs for PSVR are equivalent to the PS4 (~Radeon 7850), that would open the door up to many more people.
Heck Yeah! Steam statistics tell us that only ~14% of all cards are even DX11 GPUs. I am pretty sure the rest of that 86% would see a 7850 as "high end". We really do take ourselves a little too seriously around here some times. I am over here mildly agitated at the age of my 980s and their crappy performace at 4k...I cant imagine not even having a DX11 card
tongue.gif
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
Means more VR games for PC!
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

Heck Yeah! Steam statistics tell us that only ~14% of all cards are even DX11 GPUs. I am pretty sure the rest of that 86% would see a 7850 as "high end". We really do take ourselves a little too seriously around here some times. I am over here mildly agitated at the age of my 980s and their crappy performace at 4k...I cant imagine not even having a DX11 card
tongue.gif
Don't you think that percentage is a bit skewed? I myself as a gamer log into Steam on about 10 different PCs and devices, only 1 of them is a gaming PC = 10%.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top