Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Because of the backlash" the GPU industry can now survive the next mining craze
And on that front we spoke to AMD’s Scott Herkelman about the mining market after the company’s big Computex press conference this week.

“We see a softening, but I think that’s a good thing,” he explains. “People were just so mad over the last year, and I’m with them. Having a 580, I think some silly prices were all the way up at $699, and I think on behalf of all gamers worldwide that...sucks. I was about ready to say something else…

“For the most part we don’t see the craziness that we once saw, and we’re so excited about it. It’s not perfect yet, but more normal than it’s been in almost a year.”
Translation: "We and our AIBs were rolling in mining cash this whole time, but please believe that we still care about gamers, we really do".
Source

·
Otherworlder
7,517 Posts
Translation: "We and our AIBs were rolling in mining cash this whole time, but please believe that we still care about gamers, we really do".
pretty much sums it up, even the DRAM market is the same.

e.g. DRAM = "we just want more profits, but please believe that we still care about consumers."

·
Avid Memer
5,953 Posts
Memory fabricators make so much more money off server memory than they do desktop memory. They are about the people that are making them the most money and it isn't desktop users.

·
Null
6,328 Posts
"Because of the backlash" the GPU industry can now survive the next mining craze

Source
Was there any indication that AMD raised prices on their GPUs to AIBs?

·
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
In other words, AMD said nice things about gamers and then made the decision they thought was in their best interest? Sort of like what gamers have been doing with AMD GPU's for the past six years? Turnabout is fair play.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
pretty much sums it up, even the DRAM market is the same.

e.g. DRAM = "we just want more profits, but please believe that we still care about consumers."
RAM prices have still been just absolutely insane. I was just looking at the RAM I bought in 2016 for $90 and it's $215 right now.

·
What should be here ?
5,737 Posts
RAM prices have still been just absolutely insane. I was just looking at the RAM I bought in 2016 for $90 and it's $215 right now.
Trade war?

OT: Something to keep the gaming crowd engaged. Why is it even news when they haven't released anything new?

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
In other words, AMD said nice things about gamers and then made the decision they thought was in their best interest? Sort of like what gamers have been doing with AMD GPU's for the past six years? Turnabout is fair play.
AMD have been two-facing for over a decade.

·
WaterCooler
3,819 Posts
Well whoop de doo Basil....

Welcome to the world of every company ever, even your beloved Intel and Nvidia.
Quoted for truth. This is all nothing new.

Hey remember the hard drive "shortage" back in like 2012 or 2013ish? I remember that the 1TB Spinpoint drive I bought for $49 was suddenly $150. And the "shortage" due to "flooding" was a farce.

·
Registered
714 Posts
It [Sapphire] had made a headless card in the past, but the part time miners couldn’t get any value from the resale of a GPU without display connections so it died on the vine long before AMD and Nvidia started making noises about mining specific SKUs.
Now though Sapphire has pre-built rigs designed for serious miners that are created to satisfy purely commercial compute demand.
Huh? Seems like exactly the same thing...

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
AMD have been two-facing for over a decade.
See the post below yours. Of course they have, that's what most companies do. I don't know why you'd think I'd deny it nor do I see how your post in any way refuted what I said. Consumers and companies are out for themselves. That's how capitalism work. AMD doesn't owe 'gamers' anything, and 'gamers' surely aren't victims in this context.

·
Overclocker
3,761 Posts
Conspiracy or not I find it odd that I've read/watch people indicate that the gpu prices are falling back to "normal MSRP".

It's like a play on words for me. Normal MSRP for a product that's is over a year old is above MSRP for it's normal life cycle. Never has it been known to pay full MSRP+ after 12 months a gpu's been out on the market.

This is new territory and I'm simply not going to agree that the GPUs have dropped to normal "Just Release" prices year(s) after release. As a means to say they've "dropped".

·
Original 16-bit Genesis®
1,756 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts