Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a GTX 970. I've been noticing a performance drop while gaming, been trying to troubleshoot the problem for a while. Low CPU usage in CPU demanding games, low FPS, and 100% GPU utilization even though the power consumption is only 40-50%. I just noticed earlier through GPU-Z that My PCI slot was running @x1. Using 1 out of the 16 lanes available. Well that explained the performance drop.... So I tried re-seating the card. Upon booting back up I was running at x2. Tried re-seating a third time and what do you know, I'm at x4. Do I just keep seating the card over and over until I reach x16? (lulz) But seriously, anyone know what might be going on here other than bad GPU or bad PCI slot?

·
PC Gamer
1,163 Posts
power saving features drop it to 1x. try opening the GPU test while monitoring lanes usage. within gpuz.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
power saving features drop it to 1x. try opening the GPU test while monitoring lanes usage. within gpuz.
I have after both reseats and it stays the same. It does go up from 1.1 to 3.0 when running the test. Lanes don't change though.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
...anyone know what might be going on here other than bad GPU or bad PCI slot?
It's likely one of those, but could be something like GPU sag causing contacts to lose connection. Also, remove the card and use compressed air on the slot to make sure there isn't anything on the contacts.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's likely one of those, but could be something like GPU sag causing contacts to lose connection. Also, remove the card and use compressed air on the slot to make sure there isn't anything on the contacts.
The way I have it modified with the H60 AIO puts a lot of torque on the card because of the hoses. My old pump went out about a month ago so I slapped my old 660 in as a backup. Replaced the pump last week and put the 970 back in and I've had these issues ever since. Never had any problems before. I'll try wiggling the card a little with the system on and see if I pick up or lose any lanes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sure enough, upon wiggling the card around, I briefly saw it go to 15 lanes, before it dropped back down to 1. Wiggled a little more and and it powered off on its own.... oh****.jpg

Upon booting back up I had all 16 lanes back. I oh so carefully stood my PC back up, as to not upset the delicate balance I have going on here, put the cover back on and all seems well. Guess I'll just have to be careful not to bump my desk or PC too hard now. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts