Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is faster? PCI-E 4X? or AGP 8X? Are they the same speed?

My stupid hybrid mobo has a PCI-E 4X slot with a 16X form factor and I wanna know how brutal its gonna be if I put a gpu on the PCI-E.

I know I need a mobo upgrade but that tascam recorder in my sig did me in.

·
Prolly vaping...
3,359 Posts
My bro has the same motherboard. It used to be mine. To be honest for a hybrid board it's not that bad. I'd say go with the PCIE though. I've got a gddr4 2600xt in there for him. Doesn't play much worse than on my 8x slot on my rig. Happy new card hunting

·
Banned
8,950 Posts
I used to have this board. I put in my friends 8800GTX just to see, and it bottlenecked badly.

I didn't think it would, since I heard most cards don't run at full 16x on the PCI-E slot, but the card bottlenecked really bad.

It was faster than using my 6800OC, but it wasn't by much..

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Either one is a bottleneck, just go with the PCIe so that you don't have to toss the card when you upgrade later on.

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
PCIe 4x=500MB/s, AGP 8X=2.4GB/s

Quote:

Originally Posted by halifax1 View Post
I used to have this board. I put in my friends 8800GTX just to see, and it bottlenecked badly.

I didn't think it would, since I heard most cards don't run at full 16x on the PCI-E slot, but the card bottlenecked really bad.

It was faster than using my 6800OC, but it wasn't by much..
Usually PCIe lanes are tied to the NB, and from there directly to the CPU. In the case of this mobo, not only the PCIe is 4x, but the lanes are tied to the low speed SB; this was a necesary compromise, as the NB supports AGP, and the SB PCIe. These 4x lanes were initially destined to GigE LAN cards and the likes, not to VID cards, they have much higher latency, thus are highly unappropriate to any powerfull VID card. A 2600XT may work with little bottleneck, but going from a 3850/9600GSO and up, the bottleneck would be quite visible.

Bottom line: AGP 8x is faster any day. My 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts