Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i need a little guidance. My new motherboard only has PCI-E. For some reason ive got the idea that it needs its own power from the PSU, with its own connector. Is this true. If so, could you help me choose a compatible PSU

·
Registered
901 Posts
A pci-e motherboard is just like all others. The PCI-e video you get or have may need a power. My 6800gt oc needs more power so I have a cable that hooks right to the video card

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for clearing that up

Rep+

·
Registered
901 Posts
I will also say that you can never go wrong upgrading the a better PSU. Thank of the PSU as the heart of a PC. The better the PSU is the better it will run in terms of more stable 12 volt rails

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
yep, as already stated some pcie cards require their own additional power since the mobo can't supply enough power to it.

the only instance that I know of where the mobo actually requires extra power is my board. the Asus A8N-SLI series. the board has a molex plug right above the first pcie slot... called ez-plug. it supplies a little extra juice when you're running SLI.

one thing I would note... most newer mobos that have pcie also require a 24pin atx psu. so it would be best to upgrade your psu to an atx2 complient psu that also has at least one pcie plug.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Thats true, mine needs a 24pin atx, 4pin p4 connector and an extra molex for the PCI-E

1 - 7 of 7 Posts