Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I will be upgrading my graphics card very soon, Now here is the problem, I was gonna go for a 6800 ultra agp, but could not find one for sale in the UK anywhere. So whilst I was searching the net I find more and more information on pcie sli. Now I have a real dilemma, do I buy a new motherboard and 2 6800GT pci express or stick with the original plan and keep hunting for the elusive 6800 ultra agp. I am ripping my hair out with this, even if I wanted to upgrade to SLi you cannot find the Asus A8N sli anywhere either. What would you do ??

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
SLi is currently severely limited by processors, two 6800GTs in SLi are only slightly (like 10%) faster than a single 6800Ultra. It's a waste until significantly faster processors come out.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemgs

Hello,
I will be upgrading my graphics card very soon, Now here is the problem, I was gonna go for a 6800 ultra agp, but could not find one for sale in the UK anywhere. So whilst I was searching the net I find more and more information on pcie sli. Now I have a real dilemma, do I buy a new motherboard and 2 6800GT pci express or stick with the original plan and keep hunting for the elusive 6800 ultra agp. I am ripping my hair out with this, even if I wanted to upgrade to SLi you cannot find the Asus A8N sli anywhere either. What would you do ??

I'd go here and buy a 6800Ultra

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...800_Ultra.html

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

The only card they have in stock is the Gainward one. How come its nearly £50.00 cheaper than all the other 6800 ultras on the site?

All the others come bundled with games?

Whats wrong with the Gainward - Its rather good considering their the only ones there who actually have an AGP 6800Ultra out right now. Its not that the others aren't in stock, it says preorder, therefore thay are not yet available here

·
Registered
288 Posts
THIS IS WHAT IM GONNA DO

1. Save up all of my money
2. Buy a descent Athlon 64 processor
3. Buy an Sli Capable Board
4. Buy 1 6800 ultra
5. Wait til a descent processor comes out
6. Buy it
7. Buy another 6800 ultra

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

All the others come bundled with games?

Whats wrong with the Gainward - Its rather good considering their the only ones there who actually have an AGP 6800Ultra out right now. Its not that the others aren't in stock, it says preorder, therefore thay are not yet available here

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I have been reading the reviews for the Gainward and it seem's impresive. It just struck me as odd that it was the only card in stock and the cheapest of the bunch. I thought maybe it was the worst card of its class. If the site says pre-order, then that must mean they dont have them in stock, also it doesn't give any idea as to when they will have these other cards in stock.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, I have been reading the reviews for the Gainward and it seem's impresive. It just struck me as odd that it was the only card in stock and the cheapest of the bunch. I thought maybe it was the worst card of its class. If the site says pre-order, then that must mean they dont have them in stock, also it doesn't give any idea as to when they will have these other cards in stock.

It says due date for arrival is Dec 04 and Jan 05, so they can't be too far away...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

It says due date for arrival is Dec 04 and Jan 05, so they can't be too far away...

Yeah sorry mate you're right, I need to open my eyes..... :shades2:
Still not 100% sure what to do. I like the idea of pci express with sli but if the performance increase is as little as it seems at the moment prehaps I'd be better just upgrading to the Gainward 6800 ultra. Do you think I'll see a major increase in frame rates for my games from the 9800xt I have at the moment?

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Yeah sorry mate you're right, I need to open my eyes..... :shades2:
Still not 100% sure what to do. I like the idea of pci express with sli but if the performance increase is as little as it seems at the moment prehaps I'd be better just upgrading to the Gainward 6800 ultra. Do you think I'll see a major increase in frame rates for my games from the 9800xt I have at the moment?

To put it simply, YES

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bartender Paradox

if your going sli id wait for the DFI board. but ontop of that sli is ~80% faster than a single card

80% ?????????

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

80% ?????????

80% IN SYNTHETIC BENCHMARKS. In the real world it is not much faster at all, but does make a difference when using high resolution w/AA & AF max'ed out. I feel that SLI is not cost effective right now. I would suggest that you consider buying the new board, CPU and 1 6800 GT PCI-e. Then when the price drops get a second one. Today's games just can't take advantage of the true potential of SLI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

80% IN SYNTHETIC BENCHMARKS. In the real world it is not much faster at all, but does make a difference when using high resolution w/AA & AF max'ed out. I feel that SLI is not cost effective right now. I would suggest that you consider buying the new board, CPU and 1 6800 GT PCI-e. Then when the price drops get a second one. Today's games just can't take advantage of the true potential of SLI.

Cool, I would consider the new board and 1 6800 GT but I am not shelling out for a new CPU yet, I have only had the 64 fx53 for about 3 months...Mind you all this would be a great idea if you could get the AN8 board and a Pci express card anywhere. I have very nearly brought the Gainnward 6800 ultra AGP several times today but I just cannot make my mind up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Try here, I couldn't find whether it was in stock or not, but it's work a shot. It seems like you folks in the UK have a hard time getting anything. And that VAT tax looks viscious. And I didn't see that you had an FX-53. I would keep that until dual core chips materialize.....

I phoned them to make sure they have them in stock, they don't. Quite a few sites say they are getting them in this month but can't guarantee it. I am getting fed up now. What do you think about getting the AGp 6800 ultra, and maybe upgrading next year or something when the prices are lower and there is actully stock about?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

I phoned them to make sure they have them in stock, they don't. Quite a few sites say they are getting them in this month but can't guarantee it. I am getting fed up now. What do you think about getting the AGp 6800 ultra, and maybe upgrading next year or something when the prices are lower and there is actully stock about?

Sorry, I couldn't find any info on their site. That sucks. Upgrading later is not a bad option at all. I am in love with my BFG 6800 Ultra OC. Plus like I said, SLI is bottlenecking on the CPU's and is just not cost effective right now. If I were in your shoes, I think I would get the 6800 Ultra and save my cash for the future, or a good water cooling kit. Those FX-53's are nice and when coupled with a 6800 Ultra, you would have a force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Sorry, I couldn't find any info on their site. That sucks. Upgrading later is not a bad option at all. I am in love with my BFG 6800 Ultra OC. Plus like I said, SLI is bottlenecking on the CPU's and is just not cost effective right now. If I were in your shoes, I think I would get the 6800 Ultra and save my cash for the future, or a good water cooling kit. Those FX-53's are nice and when coupled with a 6800 Ultra, you would have a force to be reckoned with.

Thats all I wanted to hear lol. I am off now to see if I can find a 6800 ultra AGP at a decent price in stock, Don't suppose you know what the Gainward 2600 6800 ultra is like do you.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Thats all I wanted to hear lol. I am off now to see if I can find a 6800 ultra AGP at a decent price in stock, Don't suppose you know what the Gainward 2600 6800 ultra is like do you.
I haven't heard much at all. But I will tell you that I had a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200. It was one of the best video cards I ever owned. That thing overclocked past Ti4600 speeds and was great for any game I threw at it...... Until Doom3 came along.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

I haven't heard much at all. But I will tell you that I had a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200. It was one of the best video cards I ever owned. That thing overclocked past Ti4600 speeds and was great for any game I threw at it...... Until Doom3 came along.

Mate, thanks for all your help :shades2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts