Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have an old computer that has ATi RAGE Pro 2x agp onboard GPU. So would a PCI graphics card be faster than that and better. Because I have some old cards laying around from like 1998-2001 that I might put into it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Um... a MATROX somthing it has a 844-00 REV_A print on it. Thats the only one that looks half way promising.I also cant really find anything on it on google.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701

Any GPU thats not onboard will be faster as it wont be sharing its system resources.

Nope.. Nvidia has a integrated 6100 on some mobos.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
An onboard solution can and may be faster than the PCI slot if the onboard solution is AGP.

The onboard AGP is proprietary and the PCI is slot bus-mastered. When you run concurrent PCI devices such as IDE/LAN/Sound etc. you will have a lineup que for the processor I/O. The slot bus master will only take care of a concurrent stream. Once the I/O stream ceases and a new stream occurs there is a need once again for the CPU to perform I/O functions and this will once again be in que order.

With the AGP, this will not be the case. Now with data transfer to system memory there is no doubt that the PCI card will commit quicker than the AGP (onboard system memory share) but the AGP will transfer that slower committed data quicker so it would even out somewhat on that score.

Also if you compared a PCI Nvidia Geforce4 MX440 vs an Nvidia PCI-e 6150 on a Nforce platform the 6150 would overtake the Geforce and there would be no contest.

So it depends on the products being compared and there is no real "canned" answer to this question.

R

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
BTW: That brand of card was like an Early ATI Fire GL, or Nvidia quadro.....

It is a CAD card, but yews, plug it in, it will be better then that onboard....

Make shure you put the Primary VGA as PCI before you put the card in.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

Nope.. Nvidia has a integrated 6100 on some mobos.

Yrue, but they are probably refering to equal MB and frequencies, and maybe core. Like, if there was a PCI 6100, it would beat the onboard down in a second.

·
Banned
8,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klewiss

Yrue, but they are probably refering to equal MB and frequencies, and maybe core. Like, if there was a PCI 6100, it would beat the onboard down in a second.

Mm.. Not really. Just because it uses system RAM doesnt mean its like OMG SUX.

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mycomputersucks

Thanks everyone, I'm going to get everything setup now and see if I have any performance gains.

I await your view on this as real world application and viewing is far better than theoretical postulations.

R

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori

Mm.. Not really. Just because it uses system RAM doesnt mean its like OMG SUX.

I know, but I was just proving PCI cards are much better than onboard. Oh, onboard uses more of the CPU as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts