Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while back... I'd say 4 years ago when I did my first build (got a new graphics card, mobo, cpu, etc. since then), I got a PCI wireless adapter because I didn't wasn't to run an ethernet all the way from my downstairs "computer room" to my room, that would have bee over 50 feet of cable! So I got a cheap Edimax wireless dongle as explained before as my solution.

Newegg (surprised it's still there): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833315041

Edimax page: http://www.edimax.com/en/support_det...id=1&pl2_id=44

Now, before it used to always have the internet connection randomly cut out and resume working with in about 5 seconds, not showing any symptoms anywhere except through things like watching Youtube videos, the adapter software and Vista's (now 7's) wireless status didn't show any signs at all.

At one point, when I got my new motherboard and everything, it began to work fine, so fine I was even able to stream the connection through the card, back out my on board networking... thing, through an ethernet, into my Xbox 360, and play games online no problem (I even managed to fix the port forwarding problem most people have).

After about a month, it stopped and began being a B&%&# again. Now my connection status, thanks to the antenna, is 100% in signal strength and quality. I updated the drivers, and it didn't help. The card is also on a different frequency band as my wireless phones, so that isn't it. I'm also at least 3 channels away from all my neighbors' connections.

Honestly, I don't know where to go from here. I've tried checking for packet dropping as well, just by repeatedly pinging Google, and I never got any dropped packets. That's literally the ONLY problem with this card. Can anyone, please, help me? I'm going to go insane very soon.

Edit: Any possibility of interference from my computer itself? I could insulate the cable better if that was the case...

·
Old to Overclock.net
4,088 Posts
Well it could be because the wireless is dying on you? If you could get another wireless to test that would be the only way to check if the issue is with the card or not?

Also thinking, could there be something wrong with the PCI slot your using? Try to move the card to an extra PCI slot and see if that helps at all.

·
OG AMD
8,885 Posts

·
Banned
2,207 Posts
I am using my wireless usb dongle from my Samsung bluray player.
**** is better than directly connecting to my router, I swear.

40 mb/s w/ router
44 mb/s w/ usb

go expensive samsung dongle!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably will wind up just getting a new adapter soon if I can't figure this out, and it can't be the PCI, it acted the same way in both PCI slots from my old mobo. I'll see if I can snag my buddy's PCI (he's in Texas for National Guard) as the rest of my friends either have a usb adapter or a laptop...

Edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833704045

I figured I'd look on Newegg and search for the best rated adapter, and I got this. For a USB adapter, it's pretty impressive. Anyone else have some experience with it or similar products?

Edit2: As a... bonus... question... does anyone know what RTS Threshold and Fragment Threshold do and how to set them properly? Unless it wouldn't really help, I don't think I'm getting any interference so they may do no good if they're used for what I think they are...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts