Overclock.net banner

[PCmag] AMD Locates Cause of USB Issue

8K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Slaughtahouse 
#1 ·
AMD Locates 'Root Cause' of USB Issues on B550, X570 Motherboards
A patch will arrive through the upcoming AGESA 1.2.0.2 update, which motherboard vendors will likely start rolling out in early April via beta BIOS updates.
“With your help, we believe we have isolated the root cause and developed a solution that addresses a range of reported symptoms, including (but not limited to): USB port dropout, USB 2.0 audio crackling (e.g. DAC/AMP combos), and USB/PCIe Gen 4 exclusion,” AMD wrote in Reddit post on Thursday.
Source: AMD Locates 'Root Cause' of USB Issues on B550, X570 Motherboards

#2 ·
Funny thing i have been having that issue since my x299 days. Basically the moment i plug in an third party external nvme enclosure into many system all the usb ports shut down.

#5 ·
Do we know what the cause was? The article only mentions that the solution (BIOS update) will address the symptoms.

Reddit assumes the following:
its a controller reset triggered due to to many uncorrectable pcie errors

I wonder if this BIOS update will fix my bluetooth issue. Sometimes, when waking the computer after sleeping, or even a cold boot, the Bluetooth functionality is simply missing. However, I don't experience any of the other symptoms mentioned. Only unplugging the PC / draining the capacitors, or resetting CMOS will get the Bluetooth working again.

Gigabyte B550i w. AX200 (Intel wifi/bluetooth).

#6 ·
I wonder if this BIOS update will fix my bluetooth issue.

Gigabyte B550i w. AX200 (Intel wifi/bluetooth).
It does seem likely, the bluetooth component of all the AX200 cards I have seen is connected via USB. It seems very possible the on-board ones would be too.

#8 ·
Just to be clear, the WiFi is PCIe but the bluetooth is separate and uses USB. So, it matches your situation even better because it is only the bluetooth that stops working.

#11 ·
@Slaughtahouse Kinda off topic, but I recently got an AX200 PCI card for my Z390 UD and initially the USB bluetooth portion worked fine, but I ended up having to disable ASPM in bios to get the Wifi part to be recognized. Your issue obviously sounds like a USB problem related to AMD, but from my research, it seems that a lot of people have issues with these Intel cards even on Intel systems. Pretty disappointed because I specifically went with the AX200 assuming there would be no compatibility problems with my system.

#12 ·
i can duplicate a usb dropout undervolting/crashing the gpu then pc will shut off come back and if i have any software forcing again the clocks it will get into a boot loop. everytime the usb will error out drop out and pc will crash/reinitiaze by itself.. then to stop this behavior i have to remove the usbs

Also, unstable fclk will also cause this behavior

im using this card on my evga dark x299 0 issues

#18 ·
The number of terrible USB hubs in the world is depressing.

#19 ·
As are the quality of the AC adapters that come with what would otherwise be perfectly usable hubs.

I've got a few cheap hubs I like, but they're mostly shots in the dark unless you buy decent industrial ones.

#20 ·
The amount of users we saw at Aquacomputer asking why there internal USB hubs didn't detect devices and the first answer would be "AMD chipset?"

#21 · (Edited)
Just following up.

After updating my BIOS to F13, I still have issues with my bluetooth adapter not working consistently upon boot. It worked yesterday no problem. However, booting today, no luck.

In short, my PC doesn't detect bluetooth (at times). Not sure if it's related to the AMD "USB" issue or if it's an exclusive issue to Gigabyte B550i boards.

Just one important note: F13 is not AGESA 1.2.0.2, it's ASEGA 1.2.0.1(patchA). Still waiting for the next bios update...

Other B550i threads:

#28 ·
Just following up.

After updating my BIOS to F13, I still have issues with my bluetooth adapter not working consistently upon boot. It worked yesterday no problem. However, booting today, no luck.

In short, my PC doesn't detect bluetooth (at times). Not sure if it's related to the AMD "USB" issue or if it's an exclusive issue to Gigabyte B550i boards.

Just one important note: F13 is not AGESA 1.2.0.2, it's ASEGA 1.2.0.1(patchA). Still waiting for the next bios update...

-Snip-
Update 2.

Another BIOS update (F13h) for Gigabyte B550i. I've been using since April 15th (today is April 23rd) and Bluetooth has been working. Every single day.

No other issues (USB) to report. Still waiting for ASEGA 1.2.0.2.

#24 ·
Many boards have beta BIOSes with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2 , which is supposed to fix it.

I haven't had any issues since, but my only problem was a rare USB3 webcam device erroring out so it wasn't detected until a reboot. It was rare enough that I don't really know yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.