Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
AMD's alternative to G-Sync will bring variable refresh gaming technology to Radeon gamers later this quarter and AMD had the monitors on hand to prove it. On display was an LG 34UM67 running at 2560x1080 on IPS technology, a Samsung UE590 with a 4K resolution and AHVA panel and BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 TN screen.
Quote:
For FreeSync (and the Adaptive Sync standard as a whole), when a game renders at a frame rate above or below this VRR window, the V-Sync setting is enforced. That means on a 60 Hz panel, if your game runs at 70 FPS, then you will have the option to enable or disable V-Sync; you can either force a 60 FPS top limit or allow 70 FPS with screen tearing. If your game runs under the 40 Hz bottom limit, say at 30 FPS, you get the same option: V-Sync on or V-Sync off. With it off, you would get tearing but optimal input/display latency but with it off you would reintroduce frame judder when you cross between V-Sync steps.
FreeSync Impressions after 37:20 Very interesting..
source

·
red dawn
809 Posts
Sounds like FreeSync doesn't work like Gsync at all?
If I understood this correct, Gsync is superior to FreeSync.

• Rep+
Reactions: tikurokey

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestala View Post

How?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm still lost on this whole "Adaptive Sync" tech to be completely honest. To my understanding, GSYNC will allow the monitor's refresh rate (Hz) to match the frame rate output of a GPU to a certain maximum (like 144Hz). Am I getting this right? If that's true, than it sounds like I would rather have V-SYNC than FreeSync. If i'm wrong, can someone please explain to me what the pros/cons of both are? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
40Hz minimum frequency? That's way too high. 24fps and 30fps content will not benefit from Adaptive Sync (st least on this particular LG monitor).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Quote:

If you read it as if outside the monitor 's supported VRR range, you have the option to run v-sync on(no tearing but with input latency) or v-sync off(tearing but no input latency), then you read it correct. So how do you conclude g-sync is better? I know for a fact above 144hz g-sync v-syncs, not sure what it does below 30hz.

·
red dawn
809 Posts
For everyone wondering how Gsync works, here is Nvidias explanation:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq
Quote:
Q: How does G-SYNC work?
A: Several years in the making, G-SYNC technology synchronizes the monitor's refresh to the GPU's render rate, so images display the moment they're rendered. The result: Scenes appear instantly. Objects are sharper. Game play is smoother.

Since their earliest days, displays have had fixed refresh rates - typically 60 times a second (Hertz). But due to the dynamic nature of PC games, GPUs render frames at varying rates. As the GPU seeks to synchronize with the monitor, persistent tearing occurs. Turning on V-SYNC (or Vertical-SYNC) can eliminate tearing but causes increased latency and stutter.

G-SYNC eliminates this tradeoff, perfectly syncing the monitor to the GPU, regardless of frame rate, leading to uncompromised PC gaming experiences.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Quote:

GG.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I want a window of 24-60 Hz *at least*.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcosta View Post

this is free right?
i mean no extra cost in the new monitors right
But it wont be marketed as no extra cost. It's just going to be marginally cheaper than the G-Sync alternative.
rolleyes.gif

·
red dawn
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

Quote:

Wait for reviews early tech reporters say it looks smooth.
I'm not biased or drawn to either Nvidia or AMD, as I won't buy a new monitor for (probably) a long time.

Thing is, vsync looks also smooth if you're just showing a demo on a monitor. Latency and input lag is what interests me though
tongue.gif

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevk View Post

thumb.gif

AMD Simplified: FreeSync Technology
I'll give AMD credit for this video. It's the best visual explanation of what they and Nvidia are trying to address.

I wouldn't be so concerned about these first batches have these much higher minimum adaptive rates. My biggest complaint was how much:

-AMD was trying to hype a product they didn't have ready to show off for over a year.
-AMD was even suggesting minimum adaptive rate of 9 is a selling point.

It's great that we finally have displays to compare with gsync displays. Though I hope no manufacturer is stupid enough to sell a monitor that supports <16 variable refresh rates.

That said I'll still get gsync because while gsync mode is a great product when you can't push out frames quickly it is ULMB mode that I'm more interested in.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
To all those wondering what happens with G-Sync below 30 FPS. When rendered frame is sent being drawn it is also being sideloaded to memory buffer present in G-Sync module. So if FPS drops below 30 G-Sync will redraw last rendered frame (being stored is that buffer). It is said to be more visually beneficial than to let panel work at sub 30 Hz.

When over 60/120/144 HZ, G-Sync acts similar to V-Sync.

·
Banned
12,731 Posts
"Live, ALMOST READY, FreeSync monitors."

What the heck does that mean? What month is "Actually Ready" in?

And what is the cost with and without FreeSync?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post

To all those wondering what happens with G-Sync below 30 FPS. When rendered frame is sent being drawn it is also being sideloaded to memory buffer present in G-Sync module. So if FPS drops below 30 G-Sync will redraw last rendered frame (being stored is that buffer). It is said to be more visually beneficial than to let panel work at sub 30 Hz.

When over 60/120/144 HZ, G-Sync acts similar to V-Sync.
So it will repeat frames? That doesn't sound very good at all.

1 - 20 of 399 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.