Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
While I do not have too many details otherwise, Crytek and AMD have announced that mainline CRYENGINE will support the Mantle graphics API. CRYENGINE, by Crytek, now sits alongside Frostbite, by Dice, and Nitrous, by Oxide Games, as engines which support that alternative to DirectX and OpenGL. This comes little more than a week after their announcement of native Linux support with their popular engine.
This happened just minutes ago.

Here's an early article from PCper: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/GDC-14-CRYENGINE-Support-Mantle-AMD-Gets-Another-Endorsement

Exciting news indeed.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: SlackerITGuy

·
Banned
4,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungbenny911 View Post

^Not really... Good job AMD. Hopefully we see better performance increase this time around.
thumb.gif
The performance increase will be the same.

Much more for midrange and low end systems. less gains for high end.

Nothing can change that.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorteris View Post

I hope Star Citizen will be adding it.
That's already confirmed mate, where have you been!? hahahaha, here you go:
Quote:
We are pleased to announce that Star Citizen will include support for AMD's new Mantle graphics API. Mantle is a new technology which promises to significantly increase the graphical power of games, which should greatly benefit Star Citizen's greatly-detailed universe. You can find the entire AMD press release, including comments from Chris Roberts, below.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13362-Star-Citizen-To-Include-Mantle-Support

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Ugg...more Mantle hullabaloo and AMD still hasn't even released a white paper on Mantle...AMD is usually pretty good with at least getting a vague white paper out. Though some actual in depth detail would be great. Has any one seen anything from Dice or Crytek on Mantle? If they are using it they should be able to say how it works with at least minor detail.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Quote:

^Not really... Good job AMD. Hopefully we see better performance increase this time around.
thumb.gif

Nothing can change that.
Unless, of course, Mantle allows devs to push even higher graphics which requires much more draw calls. Then Mantle could provide a significant boost on any system. If Mantle gets adopted enough and Nvidia can get on the Mantle ship/project Denver is good enough then we'll get some very nice graphics.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moragg View Post

Unless, of course, Mantle allows devs to push even higher graphics which requires much more draw calls. Then Mantle could provide a significant boost on any system. If Mantle gets adopted enough and Nvidia can get on the Mantle ship/project Denver is good enough then we'll get some very nice graphics.
Pretty sure Nvidia is fully backing DX12. I doubt we'll ever see Nvidia on the Mantle bandwagon.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Ugg...more Mantle hullabaloo and AMD still hasn't even released a white paper on Mantle...AMD is usually pretty good with at least getting a vague white paper out. Though some actual in depth detail would be great. Has any one seen anything from Dice or Crytek on Mantle? If they are using it they should be able to say how it works with at least minor detail.
Because mantle is on beta stage?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Damnit @ sugarhell, I cant stop giggling when I see your avatar.

• Rep+
Reactions: kyrie74

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencher View Post

Quote:

thumb.gif

Nothing can change that.
Meh...not going to happen. Not outside of a RTS game with lots of units. There Mantle should be down right amazing if the claims are true. However, a game like BF4? Unless they started making draw calls for the stitches on the soldiers' uniforms they could never use that many...and even if they did it would probably not change much visually since there are better ways to simulate cloth than one "thread" at time. Before now I think the most draw calls a PC game ever had was like 5000 or so a cycle...I've heard of some PS3 games using upto 20,000 or so...to get 100,000 is going to be like replacing your side walk with a eight lane freeway. You'll have a lot of bandwidth but you are still just going to walk down it. It is going to take revolutionary changes in programing that will frankly probably be a pain the butt to do for not a lot of gain. If anything does happen it is going to take a few years at the least and by then D3D and OpenGL will have probably caught up.

Though I still intend my next GPU to be "Mantle Compatible" just in case, but I don't expect anything to come of it for a while...though all that hinges upon getting the tech specs on how Mantle is supposed to work. For all I know AMD might have purposely been limiting their GPUs performance and then removed the limiter with the Mantle release. I highly doubt that, but with these tech companies these days you never know. I want to see the processes and pick them apart with my own eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Because mantle is on beta stage?

Yeah...in April...and by selection only. Last year AMD said the SDK might not be available publicly till 2015...but hopefully sooner. I'm hoping for sooner. I am getting tired of all the Mantle is awesome crud, but with no information.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Quote:

Yes. I say this all the time, but more to the number of AI on the screen and having less prescripted action of NPC. Imagine Skyrim with 50 NPC within view doing the random things they did except now it doesn't stop your frame rates.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts