Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The upcoming Trinity processors bring quite a few enhancements to the table, foremost of which is a revamped CPU part that ditches the old Phenom II processor cores in favor of updated Piledriver architecture CPU modules. The move to the Piledriver x86 cores promises an increase in IPC, leakage reduction, CAC reduction, and increased clockspeeds according to the leaked slides, but the most important change is the increased performance per clock numbers. The Trinity APUs are set to replace the A8-or performance series of-Llano APUs with quad core Trinity processors that utilize two Piledriver modules that each share 2MB cache for 4MB of total L2 cache. In that respect, Trinity will be similar to Llano in that it does not employ any L3 cache that is shared between the CPU and GPU cores. Interestingly, that may mean that using higher clocked RAM can improve performance on Trinity just as it did with Llano. If true, that would make Trinity's improved DDR3 support-up to DDR3 2133MHz- all the better. On the GPU side of things, Trinity moves to a "Northern Islands" VLIW4 architecture with up to 384 stream processing units. Although the GPU area is physically smaller, it is said to be more efficient than the GPU cores in Llano APUs. The new GPU core is DirectX 11 and OpenCL 1.1 compliant. Also, it includes an updated hardware tessellator engine and hardware encoding unit (AMD Accelerated Video Converter).
AMD Trinity Source

Can't wait till the 15th to see how they stack up. Hopefully AMD gives Intel some competition in the mainstream market this generation.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's getting to be about time for me to buy a proper laptop (I will be traveling a good bit for work next year) and I'm really looking forward to what Trinity has to offer. It would be nice to do some light duty gaming in the hotel.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
does anyone know the scaling with AMD's APUs? Notebookcheck always shows that there is no improvement while technically, given their desktop counter-parts, they should be performing quite ridiculously awesome...

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Mike, are you convinced that it's VLIW4 now or is that still a conspiracy and it's GCN? Even though it says right there....
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

Mike, are you convinced that it's VLIW4 now or is that still a conspiracy and it's GCN? Even though it says right there....
thumb.gif
You can compare the VLIW4 specs, and the specs stated in the gpu slide. I haven't checked myself though.

·
Read Only
10,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post

does anyone know the scaling with AMD's APUs? Notebookcheck always shows that there is no improvement while technically, given their desktop counter-parts, they should be performing quite ridiculously awesome...
I don't remember notebookcheck ever reviewing Trinity yet. Not sure what you're talking about.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

thumb.gif
Funny thing... GCN and the VLIW4 on Trinity look quite similar. It was really damn hard to find a VLIW4 shot to compare Trinity with, so I concluded that it was GCN. But, I was wrong.

This is the only shot of VLIW4 (prior to Trinity) I can find out there, and it looks way different:

1h.jpg

Probably censored, or is actually a recycled photo of VLIW5. I'm guessing the latter.

I'm kind of wondering if I should hold off until Kaveri now... 28nm, Steamroller and GCN... going to be killer.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post

Funny thing... GCN and the VLIW4 on Trinity look quite similar. It was really damn hard to find a VLIW4 shot to compare Trinity with, so I concluded that it was GCN. But, I was wrong.
Probably censored, or is actually a recycled photo of VLIW5. I'm guessing the latter.
I'm kind of wondering if I should hold off until Kaveri now... 28nm, Steamroller and GCN... going to be killer.
From AMD standpoint, they want to use mature platform from desktop GPU. It makes very little sense to use GCN on Trinity. They would be rushing Trinity if they do.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

From AMD standpoint, they want to use mature platform from desktop GPU. It makes very little sense to use GCN on Trinity. They would be rushing Trinity if they do.
I know why they didn't do it. I was just comparing die shots, and well, it definitely wasn't VLIW5. There were shots of GCN floating around, and it looked similar to GCN, except the units were rearranged a bit. Given that there aren't any good shots of VLIW4 to compare Trinity with, I went with the guess that it was GCN.

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post

This is the only shot of VLIW4 (prior to Trinity) I can find out there, and it looks way different:
1h.jpg

After the nightmare that was Bulldozer I've got little faith on the upcoming architectures that are based on it. Their graphics technology on the other hand seems to be coming along nicely.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post

After the nightmare that was Bulldozer I've got little faith on the upcoming architectures that are based on it. Their graphics technology on the other hand seems to be coming along nicely.
This. I'm sure GPU performance relative to low-end discrete will be fine but I'm still not going to be convinced on the CPU side til we see some numbers. Hopefully PD really does bring IPC at least in line with Phenom 2. In fact hopefully they are able to get it up into first gen core i7 territory. Then AMD will have something.

If PD does have first gen I7 IPC their 8 core CPUs are going to be multi-threaded monsters.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

This. I'm sure GPU performance relative to low-end discrete will be fine but I'm still not going to be convinced on the CPU side til we see some numbers. Hopefully PD really does bring IPC at least in line with Phenom 2. In fact hopefully they are able to get it up into first gen core i7 territory. Then AMD will have something.
If PD does have first gen I7 IPC their 8 core CPUs are going to be multi-threaded monsters.
Man I hope so. Thats what Im holding out hope for. We havent seen any hard numbers yet but all the signs like with Trinity and the fact that theyre actually giving us an ETA release date instead of the 3 years of silence we got from AMD, it does look more promising than with Bulldozer.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

First gen i7? Maybe you meant 3rd gen?
confused.gif

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
scaled.php?server=11&filename=7960gfxbackside.jpg&res=landing

Slide_01.jpg

Tahiti on the top and Cayman on the bottom (keep in mind AMD loves to photoshop their GPU die shots in slides).

Take a look at a picture of Barcelona for example and compare it to the "Cayman" picture above.

Barcelona_die.jpg

·
Banned
3,190 Posts
Outch so someone at amd processor was ticked off and their Cpu part was this.God I hope ati helped them a lot to join the gpu to the Cpu.but then then theese are for mobile spec so maybe they re wide enough.we ll see. Since this will be only a mega multithreaded Fetcher for the onboard gpu there is one issue.they will need massive amount of opencl solution to convince this is the future cause the Cpu is clearly designed for this idea. If the Cpu was the attraction they would be in trouble but via opencl it wont be. A contest loo.Trinity will be miles ahead. But via non opencl?I have a lot of doubt

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin View Post

Take a look at a picture of Barcelona for example and compare it to the "Cayman" picture above.
349x348px-LL-784a3ce3_Barcelona_die.jpeg
Yeah, I've seen the GCN shot, but damn, no wonder why "Cayman" looked odd.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I really wish they would be more upfront with their die shots.

nVidia is as far as I know.

Fermi-big.jpg

GeForce_GTX_680_Die_Shot_575px.png

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

First gen i7? Maybe you meant 3rd gen?
confused.gif
Sandy Bridge IPC? I highly doubt it. We'll see though.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.