Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:


Friday morning, the fool's parade started. Apple is taking online "pre-orders" for its iPad tablet, which is supposed to begin shipping on April 3. Buying a new kind of product sight unseen is foolish. Especially given how mysterious Apple has been on what the iPad can do and what restrictions on capabilities and media access it will place on users and content providers.

Why blow $500 to $830 on a device that may not be what you expect? Just wait a mere three weeks to see for sure what it actually does and what surprises, good and bad, Apple has packed into the iPad.

SOURCE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Apparently, those people didn't escape the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

The hype sells this thing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,339 Posts
I guess if all you are expecting, and wanting, is an enlarged iPod Touch then it would make sense to order. But for so many of these people with false expectations, it might be a bit sad. This goes for any new launch of a product. Unless you didn't care what it will be like, I can't see spending this much on something you can't even test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
I got my mini 311 and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't see how the iPad could be any better. The internet isn't made for touch screens.

This device is lacking in both the software and the hardware imo. A single core Cortex-A9? Why oh why? They should have gone with a Tegra 2 then I might have given it a chance.

I'm actually looking forward to see if the MS Courier becomes a real product.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by IEATFISH
View Post

I guess if all you are expecting, and wanting, is an enlarged iPod Touch then it would make sense to order. But for so many of these people with false expectations, it might be a bit sad. This goes for any new launch of a product. Unless you didn't care what it will be like, I can't see spending this much on something you can't even test.

But it will go so well with my new Burberry jacket...

I'm looking forward to the MSI tablet. Sure, Android is originally a phone OS, but it can easily be modified and/or used for light computing, unlike iPhone OS.
 

·
Old School OCNer
Joined
·
1,903 Posts
Its just an iPhone eReader.
 

·
Master of Black Snow
Joined
·
19,338 Posts
Yeah I don't get it. I use a couple Apple things but I can't see a specific use that the iPad could revolutionize except online book industry.

And personally if I can't feel the pages and get eye fatigue from a half hour of light reading, it's not a good thing in my book. Pun not intended.


~Ceadder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Ha ha my Dad just pre-ordered his. I tried to explain to him not to get one, but ehh he is an Apple fanboy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,444 Posts
Wow even PC world hates the iPad..........aren't these guys normally lapping up anything Apple excretes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formula7 View Post
Apparently, those people didn't escape the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field.

The hype sells this thing.

The Reality Distortion Field is becoming very powerful........how did PC World resist? Sadly it's even affecting some of the members here. Hopefully frequent exposure to vastly superior hardware from companies with much more open hardware and software standards will bring them back to reality.

Well probably not, but just in case:
http://www.archos.com/products/nb/ar...try=us&lang=en
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/
http://www.asustablet.com/

There are more, but those are the first few off the top of my head. There is simply no comparison to the amount of freedom with software (ahem, Linux, cough cough) and hardware (replaceable battery, physical keyboard, USB, HDMI, the list goes on) that these provide versus the iPad. Oh but it doesn't have a shiny Apple symbol on it. Darn.

Oh yea, inb4 butthurt Apple apologists rationalizing iPad purchases and marking critics as closed-minded PC elitists. Some call it PC elitism, others call it being informed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Heh it is simply because most apple consumers are always happy with the products they buy from apple. A lot of apple consumers value different things than the people in this community. It is with this confidence that they can buy the products without knowing every single technical specification, and they do not need to know exactly what it can do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Wow even PC world hates the iPad..........aren't these guys normally lapping up anything Apple excretes?

The Reality Distortion Field is becoming very powerful........how did PC World resist?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzO View Post
SOURCE
Opinions =/= News. There is no reason for this being posted under news.
 

·
Master of Black Snow
Joined
·
19,338 Posts
They resisted cause they see it for what it is. Much like Dorothy resisted because Toto sniffed out the Wizard.

And lo and behold the Wizard was unveiled so that Dorothy, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion could see that he was but a lowly iPod Touch wearing new clothing.

Why would anyone want one of those? You can't put it in your back pocket or even one of your cargo pockets.


~Ceadder


Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Wow even PC world hates the iPad..........aren't these guys normally lapping up anything Apple excretes?

The Reality Distortion Field is becoming very powerful........how did PC World resist? Sadly it's even affecting some of the members here. Hopefully frequent exposure to vastly superior hardware from companies with much more open hardware and software standards will bring them back to reality.

Well probably not, but just in case:
http://www.archos.com/products/nb/ar...try=us&lang=en
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/
http://www.asustablet.com/

There are more, but those are the first few off the top of my head. There is simply no comparison to the amount of freedom with software (ahem, Linux, cough cough) and hardware (replaceable battery, physical keyboard, USB, HDMI, the list goes on) that these provide versus the iPad. Oh but it doesn't have a shiny Apple symbol on it. Darn.

Oh yea, inb4 butthurt Apple apologists rationalizing iPad purchases and marking critics as closed-minded PC elitists. Some call it PC elitism, others call it being informed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post
They resisted cause they see it for what it is. Much like Dorothy resisted because Toto sniffed out the Wizard.

And lo and behold the Wizard was unveiled so that Dorothy, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion could see that he was but a lowly iPod Touch wearing new clothing.

Why would anyone want one of those? You can't put it in your back pocket or even one of your cargo pockets.


~Ceadder

You're forgetting that it will match your black turtleneck and thick black glasses quite nicely! It will look great while you pretend to write that novel in Starbucks. It also comes with a neato Apple sticker to put on the back of your Prius right next to your Dave Matthews and Phish stickers.
 

·
Master of Black Snow
Joined
·
19,338 Posts
Hey now, leave DM and Phish outta this. They didn't do anything to deserve that.


~Ceadder


Quote:


Originally Posted by binormalkilla
View Post

You're forgetting that it will match your black turtleneck and thick black glasses quite nicely! It will look great while you pretend to write that novel in Starbucks. It also comes with a neato Apple sticker to put on the back of your Prius right next to your Dave Matthews and Phish stickers.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by binormalkilla
View Post

You're forgetting that it will match your black turtleneck and thick black glasses quite nicely! It will look great while you pretend to write that novel in Starbucks. It also comes with a neato Apple sticker to put on the back of your Prius right next to your Dave Matthews and Phish stickers.

Hey...
I happen to like Dave Matthews, thank you very much. Not to mention I have black glasses... but my turtleneck is red! And I write novels at home... on my rig.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,444 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Formula7
View Post

Hey...
I happen to like Dave Matthews, thank you very much. Not to mention I have black glasses... but my turtleneck is red! And I write novels at home... on my rig.

Hehe just kidding around guys. Nothing wrong with DMB (not my style, but I can see why someone would like them), but I just had to use some random bands to fit a hipster stock character.


I just know I've seen several Priuses on campus with Apple stickers........perfect stereotype. I mean I'm an electrical engineering student, but you don't see me with Intel, ATI, ASUS, Danger Den stickers all over my car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by binormalkilla
View Post

Hehe just kidding around guys. Nothing wrong with DMB (not my style, but I can see why someone would like them), but I just had to use some random bands to fit a hipster stock character.


It's all good. Though, nowadays. I would think DMB is too mainstream for the hipster.

Just listen to all the music in the Apple commercials, that's hipster. They usually like to take unknowns, put their song on a MacBook ad, then slap them on the iTunes store front page. Instant hipstardom.

Though... I did see a guy listening to Tool on his Mac once... that blew my mind.
 

·
Melted Cheese
Joined
·
4,186 Posts
The iPad will sell how Modern Warfare 2 did; people are not buying it because of the product they are buying it because of the previous products.
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top