Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Photon 10.1" tablet equipped with AMD A10 micro-6700T and a6 micro 6500T Puma APU options set to launch in February. Other specs include :

1920 x 1200 display
4 GB DDR3 memory
64 GB SSD
microSD card slot
micro USB
micro HDMI
IEEE 802.11a / b / g / n / ac-enabled wireless LAN
Bluetooth 4.0 + LE
Keyboard with Bluetooth

Stylus/Touchscreen capable of 1024 degrees of pressure sensitivity (versus 256 in newest Surface Pro 3).

Software: Windows 8.1 64-bit

The tablet looks very close in appearance to reference tablet made by Quanta which was considered to be high quality. Price for different models and software options such as MS Office software not disclosed, but earlier info seemed to indicate around $500 to $600.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150109_683098.html?ref=pick&utm_content=pc-top&utm_campaign=pick&utm_source=pc.watch.impress.co.jp&utm_medium=content-text

·
Amiga 500
3,680 Posts
Me likey
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Glad to see AMD finally making their way into the tablet market.
thumb.gif
Too bad Puma isn't 20nm. That would help with energy a bit.
Yeah I love the specs of this tablet, especially the resolution and RAM, but question the battery life with these AMD APUs. This might be exactly what I've been waiting for though.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGroove View Post

Yeah I love the specs of this tablet, especially the resolution and RAM, but question the battery life with these AMD APUs. This might be exactly what I've been waiting for though.
Afaik AMD has pretty good efficiency with Mullins parts.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Too much for my blood
frown.gif
I like it though! Especially that 64 bit, maybe we can get Dark Souls 2 running on it? Lol

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Puma/AMD-A10-Series%20A10%20Micro-6700T.html

We're looking at a 4.5W TDP, 1.2GHz base frequency, and 2.2GHz turbo speed. GPU has two GCN cores, for 128 shader cores, at 500MHz. That's not very fast, but it's acceptable for anything that isn't playing games or rendering more than a 4k desktop. Heck, this thing's probably four times as powerful as my old laptop (GPU-wise that is), and that thing could play 2004/2005 era games almost decently.
redface.gif

It seems the A4 series for tablets also have four cores, so the only difference is likely frequency.

·
Registered
71 Posts
At NotebookCheck it has similar performance to the Atom Z3740, looks like a nice option to one up the Asus T100 (1200p over 768p, 4GB over 2GB RAM and Bluetooth keyboard)

·
Null
6,330 Posts
I wonder whatever happened to AMD's turbo dock or whatever it was called. The keyboard dock with extra storage and a secondary battery

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
I've been waiting sooooo LONGGGG!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

A year late
redface.gif
I think it's AMD being the black sheep in x86. Companies only want to deal with Intel being how huge their name is and the cuts in cost getting their processors.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

False. VIA is the black sheep in x86.
tongue.gif

But yeah, four Puma cores look great. Core M is getting some competition it seems.
While I agree. Companies do little to utilize AMD in their brand names, there shouldn't be any reason why they don't.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not the sleekest looking tablet, but it does check everything that somebody must have... micro sd card slot, 4GB ram, 1920x1200 screen, most likely 13 MP sony camera (same as all their other tablets), but that keyboard is the ugliest that I have ever seen.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstercameron View Post

here is the power draw from my hp stream 14 running with the a4 micro-6400t
That's pretty good for a total package. It's probably better with the quad core offloading to additional cores.

·
Super Moderator
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT View Post

That's pretty good for a total package. It's probably better with the quad core offloading to additional cores.
Looks like it. Total package includes the RAM, SSD, screen, and inefficiency. The APU is - at least I think - a SOC containing the CPU, GPU, northbridge, and southbridge, all on one chip. I think that ALL falls in the sub-5W TDP. 10W or less is a safe bet. Battery life? Uh, six hours or more? I can't get any information about typical tablet batteries' watt-hour or amp-hour ratings.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts