Overclock.net banner

81 - 100 of 172 Posts

·
Gamer
3,506 Posts
We did that long ago. Real long ago. And UT had horrible input handling in the first place so no way you'd fix that by running low. Not running games on potato helps a lot regardless of time we're in.

I don't know what input latency we're talking about since I'm talking about times when BF3 popular. Back then, only input latency I can remember was from using zowie mice. Switching to logitech fixed that real quick.
Less Load = More resources to use = more frames = less latency = On ANY hardware, unless your frames are running capped maxed 100% of the time.

So example: You're running CSGO, but it's capped to 300fps and you hit 300fps 100%..There's not much incentive to lower anything in this scenario.

Streamers and even professionals still do this today. Usually you want to keep the resolution native but there are benefits from lower, stretched resolutions. (back in the day you could get much higher refresh rates from lower resolutions on CRT monitors)

·
I <3 narcissists
6,210 Posts
Yep...I do this, to this day. Latency > graphics, graphics do not matter if you're playing competitively...The only that matters is winning, which lower latency helps you do.
I meant competitively as in caring about winning or losing, not necessarily being in a competition. I always forget that actual competitive gaming (tournaments) is a thing, still seems new to me even though it isn't.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
What I'm curious about is if anyone else is like me n doesn't do Steam Survey, thus your beast machine doesn't go into the metricss.
I do not run the steam hardware survey. I would if all it checked was hardware, but it also checks everything that is installed on the computer. I see no reason to give them that information.

·
2,327 Posts
Are they challenging them to a softball game or something? What exactly is real world gaming?

Maybe this???
"It's nerf or nothing" - Intel :D

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
I do not run the steam hardware survey. I would if all it checked was hardware, but it also checks everything that is installed on the computer. I see no reason to give them that information.
and this is why their data is skewed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It's going to be fun :)
FX-9590 -Blue Edition!
I hope the tech press don't let them get a free pass with this horrible power consumption just because it's Intel. The huge lack of efficiency and space heater trait of the 9900KS needs to be highlighted hard just so Intel learn the lesson that they can't try and pull rush-job counter measures like this in a desperate attempt to fight Ryzen 3000.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
what else do you expect until the death of core and finally breaking free of +++++++?

·
sudo apt install sl
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I hope the tech press don't let them get a free pass with this horrible power consumption just because it's Intel. The huge lack of efficiency and space heater trait of the 9900KS needs to be highlighted hard just so Intel learn the lesson that they can't try and pull rush-job counter measures like this in a desperate attempt to fight Ryzen 3000.
Those figures are fake, a 9900k w/ 1.3v uses 220w @ 5Ghz running Prime95 AVX. The 9900KS is probably going to be binned at 1.2v or 1.25v. If anything the 3800x will probably use the same amount of power as a 9900KS if it could even touch 5Ghz. I have a feeling the 9900KS will have a TDP of 205w from seeing what a 5Ghz 9900K can pull.

Attachments

·
Professional Proletariat
5,671 Posts
I've never even gotten a survey lol

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,515 Posts

They stopped doing that years ago. They only collect hardware specs and they show you a list with the exact specs that are going to be sent and leave in your power to click on ok to send or cancel. You'll also notice that the software list on the survey isn't there anymore, except for the OS.

·
Registered
808 Posts
They stopped doing that years ago. They only collect hardware specs and they show you a list with the exact specs that are going to be sent and leave in your power to click on ok to send or cancel. You'll also notice that the software list on the survey isn't there anymore, except for the OS.
B-b-but mah paranoiah

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
its just easier to click no... Though I suppose an argument could be made that I'm screwing myself as an SLI user by not making it known to the Gaming Gods that I am one.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks, didn't know... I haven't tried to see the survey since then.

·
Overclocker
11,367 Posts
Probably neither as it takes them years to show up that survey and then they often want to collect so much info, nah no thanks, you're doing it anyway secretly so why should I give you consent :p

Steam survey is pretty useless anyway, it changes based on their whims and desires, they add and remove groups of users as they see fit. As in why not cut out Chinese iNet cafes, etc. so they did something like that some time ago which shifted the hardware survey a lot, they also keep inactive machines in the survey and so on. The reality of actual active and used machines is different from the crappy Steam survey. You're better off looking at what and how many GPUs, CPUs sell in last 3 years to users at home.

·
Meep
5,583 Posts
its just easier to click no... Though I suppose an argument could be made that I'm screwing myself as an SLI user by not making it known to the Gaming Gods that I am one.
Pretty sure the gaming gods have already decided they don't care about SLI/CF...

Assuming you're running 1080ti's in sli, you're better off just selling them and getting a 2080ti. 2 used 1080ti's just about add up to a new 2080ti as well, so you shouldn't lose money on it.

Less issues, less heat/power, same or better performance.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
5,968 Posts
Intel still has lower memory latency though.

The numbers they have on that slide (69ns / 67ns) are worse than Ryzen 7 2700X on 3200C14.
My [email protected] with 3200c14 gets 69.1ns with the AGESA 0.0.7.2. Which is a bad AGESA. Maybe they used the wrong AGESA for the slides. :D

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
it's obvious looking at your sig that you are getting defensive as you love your 9900K but the fact is there is something much better than that getting released in September, and even the 3900K 8-core is a better choice -

- Much higher efficiency
- Lower heat
- Cheaper
- On a platform with modern features unavailable to your 9900K

Instead of being salty, embrace the advancement and acknowledge your 9900K is a 14nm relic and a space heater to boot :)

Haters gonna hate and fanboys always deny the truth.
Skylake v4 is still just the same base product, highly strung with the "impossible" and "entirely pointless" extra cores/threads now made available.
It is indeed a 14nm relic. And it does indeed occupy the role of a space heater in colder climates.
But Intel made it, so people will rushed out to buy it regardless.

·
sudo apt install sl
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Haters gonna hate and fanboys always deny the truth.
Skylake v4 is still just the same base product, highly strung with the "impossible" and "entirely pointless" extra cores/threads now made available.
It is indeed a 14nm relic. And it does indeed occupy the role of a space heater in colder climates.
But Intel made it, so people will rushed out to buy it regardless.
Last I checked the 9900k uses less power and runs cooler than the 2700x. The only time it uses more is when it's overclocked to ridiculous frequencies(MCE is overclocking) and last I checked AMD Zen+ can't reach those frequencies. The 9900KS on the other hand will be a 205w part for sure. Until benchmarks of Ryzen's 3000 series is out the 9900K is still the fastest gaming CPU due to it's Ring Bus. The question now will be how much power and heat does the 3800x produce when it's overclocked to 4.7Ghz on all 8 cores? I'm sure a 3800x at 3.9Ghz doesn't keep up with a stock 9900k running at 4.3Ghz when gaming.

81 - 100 of 172 Posts