Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
There also this from DSOG if anyone is interested:
Quote:
"Total War has traditionally been quite CPU-bound, with the game-draw and graphics render processes both running on the same CPU thread." wrote Creative Assembly in a new post and continued.

"Over time, as the engine has evolved and become more demanding, this has become an increasingly important bottleneck for us. During the course of TWWH's development, we've spent time separating these so they now run independently on their own threads. We've also optimized our task-system to have better multi-threading performance across the board."
What/where is the specs of the pc tested with the multiple gpus. This benchmark isnt very helpful.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post

There also this from DSOG if anyone is interested:

"Total War has traditionally been quite CPU-bound, with the game-draw and graphics render processes both running on the same CPU thread." wrote Creative Assembly in a new post and continued.

"Over time, as the engine has evolved and become more demanding, this has become an increasingly important bottleneck for us. During the course of TWWH's development, we've spent time separating these so they now run independently on their own threads. We've also optimized our task-system to have better multi-threading performance across the board."
so they rebuilt the engine for DX12 ?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

so they rebuilt the engine for DX12 ?
To be patched in (from the same link):
Quote:
Total War: WARHAMMER will also support DX12. While DX12 won't be available at launch, Creative Assembly has worked with AMD and will release a patch that will add support to it.

"We're pleased to confirm that Total War: WARHAMMER will also be DX12 compatible, and our graphics team has been working in close concert with AMD's engineers on the implementation. This will be patched in a little after the game launches, but we're really happy with the DX12 performance we're seeing so far, so watch this space!"

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
So if DX12 is going to be patched in after release, how is this benchmark testing DX12?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

So if DX12 is going to be patched in after release, how is this benchmark testing DX12?
Thats my point. What the hell is this article from PC world?

Someones lying here. PC world or CA?

These cant be test done by PCWorld staff personally is the patch isnt ready yet.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

they got a DX12 benchmark only benchmark first than anyone?
Quote:
a build of an automated Total War: Warhammer DirectX 12 benchmark to show what the game's capable of.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Quote:

The article author even says its not the actual retail game code, maybe its the DX12 preview? I'm not claiming it is just making a guess orrrr the dude just lied on the benchmarks.
Quote:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

they got a DX12 only benchmark first than anyone?
But, going by CA's post i linked via DSOG, the patch isnt ready yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucklez View Post

The article even says its not the actual retail game code, maybe its the DX12 preview? I'm not claiming it is just making a guess orrrr the dude just lied on the benchmarks.
If its not even retail code and the patch for DX12 still isnt finished...im so confused.

This is like posting laptimes for a car with no wheels.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

If its not even retail code and the patch for DX12 still isnt finished...im so confused.
it is a standalone DX12 benchmark that AMD sent, PCworld articles says it

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Quote:

This is like posting laptimes for a car with no wheels.
Yeah I understand you I dont totally get it either but It gets the article/website clicks which is what anyone cares about anymore ya know
rolleyes.gif

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:

They install the 11.3 high api version first, has all the same features just not the low overhead cpu abstraction optimizations.
[Source]

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Interesting that AMD does well in the AMD provided benchmark, I guess. That's not sketchy at all.
Quote:
Since the AMD-provided benchmark only runs in DirectX 12, we couldn't verify frame rates or times with a tool like FRAPS, which doesn't work with DirectX 12 yet.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
Quote:

This should be marked as a sponsored article if thats the case.
Yeah, a red dot would be nice as long as a bunch of other sites accept the green dot badge all together.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:

Interesting that AMD does well in the AMD provided benchmark, I guess. That's not sketchy at all.
I'd say it's about as sketchy as every single reviewer suddenly considering ROTR DX12 mode as a relevant performance metric since the 1080 launched.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzWulf View Post

I'd say it's about as sketchy as every single reviewer suddenly considering ROTR DX12 mode as a relevant performance metric since the 1080 launched.
I'd argue it's expected that AMD performs well in DX12. They've had DX12 features in their architecture since the 7970 days. I'd reckon the ROTR showing is way sketchier.

·
Premium Member
10,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzWulf View Post

At least RotR is a released game, and not a pre-release benchmark provided by the manufacturer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Both the 390x and the 1080 have the same minimum FPS so its pretty obvious thats a CPU bottleneck

The performance of the 1080 vs the 390x is about +30%, you would assume the 1080 is only +10% over the FuryX in this title. That's in line with AOTS and Hitman isn't it? Not a great sign for Nvidia & DX12

·
PC Evangelist
47,393 Posts
Quote:

At least RotR is a released game, and not a pre-release benchmark provided by the manufacturer.
RoTR DX12 Patch got to be the most underwhelming effort ever. DX12 does not benefit the game at all. AMD does not even have a driver path.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts