Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

The demand for low-priced tablets has gone up in recent months, as witnessed by the mad rush to buy Hewlett-Packard's US$99 TouchPad tablet. Tablets priced at $199 with Google's Android OS are now becoming available from companies like Amazon and Lenovo. The devices have a simple user interface and provide basic multimedia playback, gaming, application execution and e-reading capabilities. However, at such low prices, these devices lack the speed and graphics found in Apple's iPad or Samsung's Galaxy Tab, which have the latest processors and graphics hardware. But at that price, the tablets are decent entry-level devices for first-time users.

This might be a good article for people wanting a cheap tablet.

Source
Click For Source

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
200 Kondlike bars.

I'm personally going to wait for the prices to dip even more because the technology is all moving too quickly for me... Buyer's remorse is the worst. x_x

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
People bought so many for a few reasons... $100-150 is way too cheap for a decent tablet PC - you'd almost have to be stupid not to, or be TOTALLY uninterested in a tablet. I bought 5 of the 32gb HPs to sell, and ordered a 16gb one for myself. The 16gb one got cancelled, but a lot of people bought them solely for resale. People were willing to buy them for close to $300 for a 32gb version for weeks after they dropped the price. Not sure what they're at now though..

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Why are we still talking about this fad? I'll wait until real OSes come out for them. Here's to hoping for 11.10 and Windows8.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If they added in a front facing camera to the Kindle Fire, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Alas, no front facing camera, and no Kindle Fire for Lime.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickbaldwin86
View Post

Tablets is just a fad like netbooks? here and gone in a few months.

I dont think they could get cheap enough to make me really want one. I would love to have one, but I wouldn't spend my money on one.

The problem is the OS. The versions of Windows they put on netbooks weren't appropriate and right now pads can't really do anything besides be consumption devices. The OS is what needs fixing.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Tablets is just a fad like netbooks? here and gone in a few months.

I dont think they could get cheap enough to make me really want one. I would love to have one, but I wouldn't spend my money on one.

Quote:

View Post

Ya because they are good for nothing other than playing angry birds and browsing the internet on a 10" screen.

I wouldn't say owning netbooks is fad. I actually got a netbook 2 months ago and I love it. I feel bad for those stuck with a netbook with an Atom processor tho

I was contemplating replacing my netbook with the Touchpad but just like you said, all it's good for was angry birds and browsing the internet (for me anyway.)
I ended up giving my Touchpad to a sibling and using my netbook in bed.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It's probably not a fair comparison for the other companies because Amazon is likely subsidizing the cost of the device with the services it supports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0rion
View Post

People bought so many for a few reasons... $100-150 is way too cheap for a decent tablet PC - you'd almost have to be stupid not to, or be TOTALLY uninterested in a tablet. I bought 5 of the 32gb HPs to sell, and ordered a 16gb one for myself. The 16gb one got cancelled, but a lot of people bought them solely for resale. People were willing to buy them for close to $300 for a 32gb version for weeks after they dropped the price. Not sure what they're at now though..

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPwn
View Post

Phh.... 1.7GHz 32GB Dual-Core Tablet for 149$ HP Touchpad is a clear winner!

The train to get a HP TouchPad at those prices has left the station. It's time to consider other tablets in this price range that are available or going to be available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts