1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
810_PREV_2011-01-09-nature_Fig4.jpg

http://www.fz-juelich.de/portal/index.php?cmd=show&index=163&mid=810
Quote:
Although the storage of films and music on a DVD is part of our digital world, the physical basis of the storage mechanism is not understood in detail. In the current issue of the leading journal Nature Materials, researchers from Jülich, Finland, and Japan provide insight into the read and write processes in a DVD. This knowledge should enable improved storage materials to be developed.
Woah dude...

DVDs are intense
eek.gif

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Quote:
The calculation of the structure of amorphous AIST is the largest yet performed in this area of research, with simulations of 640 atoms over the comparatively long time of several hundred picoseconds. Some 4000 processors of the Jülich supercomputer JUGENE were used for over four months in order to obtain the necessary precision.
eek.gif

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Jesus... So they basically re-organize the amorph mollecular structure into an hexagonal one via exciting the mollecules?

Geeze.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Im not a professor or something, so i may not understand this right:
All this time people didnt know how physical basis of the storage mechanism works?
eek.gif

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt;11959993
All this time people didnt know how physical basis of the storage mechanism works?
eek.gif
Seriously, we know how to do it, but we don't know why? Holy bejesus, we have just been winging it.

There is another very similar physical structure change in Ferrous magnets at about 121K. Its called the Verwey Transition, and it basically is an object that is conductive and magnetic about 2K above 121K, then becomes extremely non-conductive at or just below transition. How it does this is still a little unknown.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingCain
View Post

I know I am totally impressed by us Humans for a change.

No joke. That's pretty cool yet funny right there.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Colt
View Post

They don't know exactly how, but they know it works...

To give you another example, you can use a so-called Phase-conjugate-mirror in some experiments.

It works very well, and corrects defects in your optical front-wave, but...
You use that effect the time it is established in a given material, no-one knows what is happening really during the transient time ....

We know it works, but how it does "really" take place in the material is a mystery.

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingCain
View Post

Seriously, we know how to do it, but we don't know why? Holy bejesus, we have just been winging it since the beginning of recorded history.

Fixed it for you.

It's not likely anyone knew why eating moldy bread or chewing some tree bark would make you feel better until recently.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenophobe
View Post

Fixed it for you.

It's not likely anyone knew why eating moldy bread or chewing some tree bark would make you feel better until recently.

True, but in modern times it is unusual for someone out there not to know how something works that we use.

^Does that make sense?

·
Old to Overclock.net
6,113 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drizzt5
View Post

True, but in modern times it is unusual for someone out there not to know how something works that we use.

^Does that make sense?

Grab a sheet of paper and an exacto knife.

What does cutting that paper do at the molecular level?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Quote:

View Post

99.99% sure that does nothing at the molecular level to the paper/knife. it might split it into smaller pieces, but they would still have the some molecular structures.
unless that exacto knife is made of plasma (light saber?) then it might burn the paper and change it at the molecular level.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I see exactly where you're coming from and its the same reason why this means nothing to me, just seems really boring. I don't have the time to care about what happens at the molecular level, what about the sub molecular level? We can keep going on and on but we will most likely never truly understand everything and even if we did what difference would it make if our technology isn't up to par?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I am sure someone out there knows exactly what that does at the molecular level. If it does anything at all.

·
Premium Member
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren;11962165
I see exactly where you're coming from and its the same reason why this means nothing to me, just seems really boring. I don't have the time to care about what happens at the molecular level, what about the sub molecular level? We can keep going on and on but we will most likely never truly understand everything and even if we did what difference would it make if our technology isn't up to par?
Knowing how it works on the molecular level isn't very important to you, the end user. However, it's extremely important that the people making the technology understand what's going on, so they can make a more perfect model, and can see and understand where they can improve it. Understanding as much as possible is one of the most important things we can do, as the benefits are endless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts