Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abit new to the whole Peltier scene.
I'm looking into placing them on my radiator to drop the tempts of the water inside; I plan on getting two 50 watt. Do you think my current power supply could prove stable with running them? Or is a second PSU in order? If a second is needed, will a generic do?

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorruptedCard

Abit new to the whole Peltier scene.
I'm looking into placing them on my radiator to drop the tempts of the water inside; I plan on getting two 50 watt. Do you think my current power supply could prove stable with running them? Or is a second PSU in order? If a second is needed, will a generic do?

Putting them on the radiator is not really going to do anything but block the airflow which is needed to make the rad work. You are better off with another psu and a generic one should power those little peltiers no worries. Peltiers are gernerally a bit of a pain to get working properly, Im still having hassles after lots of trial and error. At the end of the day you are probably better off not using the 50 wattt pelt for anything Im sorry to say, Ive gone and bought the 25 the 55 the 67 and they all dont really have the grunt to do anything worthy, Im even thinking my 226 watt pelt is not cutting it at the moment and getting something a lot more powerfull. By all means play around with them because you learn and you move on to the bigger and better things like 400watt + pelts and then refridgerated cooling which will cost you a fortune to run in bills and may only result in a OC being not a hell of a lot more than you would be with water on a cold day! Im continuing on my little cooling projects but if you are doing it on a rig you dont want to destroy if you can help it then dont do it and just enjoy what you have got
cheers.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
peersonally, i would attatch the cold side of an 80W peltier to a waerblock, and the hot side to high end air cooling OUTSIDE the case. You should get about 7° differance in temps.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

peersonally, i would attatch the cold side of an 80W peltier to a waerblock, and the hot side to high end air cooling OUTSIDE the case. You should get about 7° differance in temps.

I dont understand what you are trying to do here??

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
so are you going to try to cool the water block with another pelt, where will this pelt go on the waterblock?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I planning on putting the peltiers on the sides of the radiator; now after looking into this I think I'm going to look into something like an actual water chiller instead. Anybody know any reliable brands?

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Peltiers are horribly inneficient in any form other than direct-die cooling. In other words, you don't realistically want to make a water chiller with a peltier. The only really viable use of a peltier is in a waterblock/pelt combo (TEC) with a huge peltier (400w ++) and a helluva watercooling system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts