Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, if peltiers are a good concept but a dying performer why still bother with them?
To my understanding the basic principle of letting heat go from one place to another is already used in heatsinks.
So is this "souped up heat sink" worth all that hasstle/power? Im thinking, no....

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by COLTCOMMANDO

Hi, if peltiers are a good concept but a dying performer why still bother with them?
To my understanding the basic principle of letting heat go from one place to another is already used in heatsinks.
So is this "souped up heat sink" worth all that hasstle/power? Im thinking, no....

A normal Heatsink, however efficient, could not cool lower than the ambient air temp. A Pelt, depending on it's power, can cool below this and is normally used to cool to sub zero temps to allow for higher overclocks.
The pelt either needs a good heatsink or water cooling on it's hot side to keep it as cool as possible to allow the cool side to stay cold.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I'm running a 437w TEC and it idles at -25°C and "full load" only gets up to -8°C. I'm only giving the 24v peltier 13.5 volts. If you can find ANY heatsink that can do that, I'll throw out my peltier.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by COLTCOMMANDO

Silly question but do peltiers/tecs make noise? like a heatsink is totally silent

The actual Pelt wouldn't but the cooling on it might, depending on what you use, and it's psu would as well.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
See, even with watercooling, you can only cool so much because it's a very small die, less than a square 1/2 inch. With a pelt, it can cool it down so much more than watercooling can. For instance, my G4 has reached its cooling potential simply because it can't remove any more heat from the core because it's too small of an area that concentrates the heat. Think about it: If a core puts out 100 watts of heat (Mine puts out 165 overclocked BTW), you can cool it much better if it's spread out over a larger surface area rather than on a compact die. What a pelt does is create sub-zero temps that make cooling it just a little bit easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.