Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about buying a Peltier for my CPU, but was wondering what kind of things i would need and what kindof costs i am looking at. Is it possible to cool a peltier with air?

:Edit: i have a 350 watt PSU not in use is the psu mod easiy for a peltier?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Your cpu doesnt run that hot, so you might have really good luck with a pelt. Air cooling is NOT good enough to cool it. What you need are: peltier, coldplate, waterblock, resevoir, radiator, fans, shroud, tubing, clamps, neoprene and dielectric grease for condensation proofing, and some pipe wrap for the back of the mobo. The power supply probably will not work. You can mod a computer psu, but it must have AT LEAST 25 amps on the 12 volt rail.

• Rep+
Reactions: SpencerM

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
You really need water cooling for the hot side of the pelt, especially on today's CPU's. In the P3 and earlier days, you could get by with an air cooled pelt, but not any more. Now, even the pelts that were considered sufficient on last-gen CPU's (a 226w TEC) are even proving insufficient. And no, that 350w PSU will not work. It's probably only puts out around 20a on the 12v rail at the absolute most, and most 226w TEC's will draw upwards of 320 watts.

So, if you really want to go TEC cooling, then you need a good water cooling setup, a block/TEC/coldplate unit (can be mix-n-matched or can be brought as pre-assembled units), you will need a dedicated PSU (Meanwells are the best, but there's other options), and you need to condensation proof your mobo.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
^^
^^ Yeah, and what he said too. LOL

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So im looking at a TEC set up with water cooling. I saw from the stickied "build your own that the TEC" costs around 90 bucks, but how much am i looking at for all of the water cooling parts?

:Edit: so is a water cooling Peltier setup mor effective than a water cooling system by itself?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95
^^
^^ Yeah, and what he said too. LOL
Damn, we musta posted at the same time.

^The WC system itself can be done for ~150. You have a couple options for the for the water block that will cool the TEC, and the cold plate to go between the TEC and the CPU, but ultimately I would estimate another $100 for coldplate, TEC, PSU(s) and condensation proofing.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so somewhere around 250 or so for everything? Cant belive im even asking, i need to get a new mobo and processer before i really have a need for any extreme cooling, but knowledge is power. thanks no affin and lando

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerM
so somewhere around 250 or so for everything? Cant belive im even asking, i need to get a new mobo and processer before i really have a need for any extreme cooling, but knowledge is power. thanks no affin and lando
DD Maze 4 cpu block = $50
226 watt TEC = 38
Cheap mouse pad(s) for condensation proofing = 2
Dielectric grease and pipe wrap (condensation) = 10
Mr. Techus modded psu for TEC = ~25
DD double heatercore w/shroud = 50
2 120mm fans = 20
Mag 3 pump = 35
tubing, fittings, etc. = 20
home made tupperware resevoir = 5

That is about the cheapest route you can go, and you are looking at about: $255 bucks, plus shipping. An actual resevoir costs about $20-25. If you bought a Meanwell psu, they cost about $100. It can be an expensive hobby.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

very expensive. love the homemade tupperware resivoir though
Hey, if done right, it works very well, and saves you $25. It will just not be the prettiest res out there

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea. so No affin i saw in one of your posts it only would cost 15 bucks to get a heatercore at an auto shop? Thats pretty cool, i bet you could get the price pretty low if you moded/bought parts and made your own

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

yea. so No affin i saw in one of your posts it only would cost 15 bucks to get a heatercore at an auto shop? Thats pretty cool, i bet you could get the price pretty low if you moded/bought parts and made your own

I bought my double heatercore from an autoparts store. It was about $23. You can either sweat some barbs on, do what I did and just stretch your tubing to fit. Heat it up with a hairdryer, it works. You could also make homemade shrouds for pretty cheap too, using tupperware or even cardboard if you wanted to. I saw this one guy who made a cardboard shroud, but he sealed all the edges and painted it. You couldn't even tell it was cardboard, looked very nice. Just get a general idea of what your budget is, and start shopping around for prices. Use your imagination. That's what this is all about, building your own comp and having fun in the process.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
noob question, what is a peltier/TEC. I'm doing some research into building a custom watercooling setup as cheap as possible from scratch. from the sounds of things I have a long way to go

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Could someone clue me in?

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts