Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'DAY

I am new here so plz bear with my dumbness

I have a pentium 4 1.6ghz willamette cpu and i was wondering if you fellas could give the limits of my cpu and/or tips and procedures on overclocking this cpu

Motherboard:elitegroup 661fx-m Ram:512 of 300mhz(two 256mb sticks) Cooling:stock cpu fan

Thanx alot

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtelias

G'DAY

I am new here so plz bear with my dumbness

I have a pentium 4 1.6ghz willamette cpu and i was wondering if you fellas could give the limits of my cpu and/or tips and procedures on overclocking this cpu

Motherboard:elitegroup 661fx-m Ram:512 of 300mhz(two 256mb sticks) Cooling:stock cpu fan

Thanx alot

Hi,

I cant say that i've heard of your motherboard make before, which probably means it wont give you many options in the way of overclocking.

Your best bet is to take a look at the overclocking guide (link down the right of the main overclock.net page), and see what kind of options your bios has.

You will probably be able to get 1.8ghz out of that chip, probably more, but i don't have much experience in the older Intel chips so i cant say for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
It's an ECS mobo, with Sis 661 chipset. Unfortunately, ECS mobos suck for overclocking, and this will probably be the biggest limiting factor....if it even offers any overclocking functionality. Check to see if the BIOS allows you to adjust front side bus.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

It's an ECS mobo, with Sis 661 chipset. Unfortunately, ECS mobos suck for overclocking, and this will probably be the biggest limiting factor....if it even offers any overclocking functionality. Check to see if the BIOS allows you to adjust front side bus.

Ya I got a ECS P4ITA p4 board with willamette 1.4 also
Only overclocking option on mine is FSB
Also can't lock the pci/agp speeds, so I can't take it very high

With my stock cooler my temps were 45c at absolute idle, around 51c at normal windows/aim usage, up to 68c at full load! at stock clock.. Someone else said theres also hits 70c! I guess they run extremly hot at full load

However now I got liquid cooling, and under its own cooling power, im at 41c idle, 51c load, and I think 55c load at 1.67ghz

I wish I knew alot more about computers when I built mine 3 years ago.. Now I woulda built it completly different, i used all the wrong stuff lol

bad stuff I used, ECS board, 428 socket processor, RD ram... Basically my entire setup

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
ECS boards aren't bad for stock systems, and I've even got their 865 chipset board under my 2.8C. It offers FSB adjustability, and asynchronous AGP/PCI operation...and that's where the OC-friendliness starts and ends. At 3.1 GHz, w/ my 2.8 undervolted at ~1.48v, the system was not stable. At 3.0, it was mostly stable, but would error every once in a while. I finally got tired of the occasional errors, and put it back to stock. Haven't ever had a single problem at stock speeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts