·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EHFBADSJHVBFHDVFDDVNFIJDNVFJKDV!!!!

Finally!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10...pentax645d.asp

Quote:

Five years after announcing its development, and following a month-long online campaign trailing the launch, Pentax has finally unveiled its much anticipated 645D medium format digital camera. The first digital version of the company's 645 medium format camera system, it features a 40MP, 44 x 33 CCD sensor, 921k dot 3.0" LCD and is compatible with the existing 645 system lenses. The camera will initially be available only in the Japanese market at a suggested retail price of ¥850,000 (~ US $9,400) from May 2010.

I wonder when it will be available in the US. (and of course, I wonder what the price will be in the US). Lame how it's only being launched in Japan first.

EDIT: Product page is up now on the Japanese site: http://www.camera-pentax.jp/645d/top.html

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That's a HUUGE camera.

Gah, why so expensive.. Only if they drop the 9 in front.. i may actually be able to afford it

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will probably be cheaper in the US. I'm looking forward to MF cameras dominating studio work yet again.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
freakin medium format cameras rawr >=[

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
dude, just when I was thinking of ditching pentax . . . now all I need to do is find a $10k bonus from work somehow . . .

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
hopefully its way better then some of the other cameras they've pushed over the last couple years. especially for that pricetag it better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Excellent news! It's a lot of camera for the price. Compared to the recently released Mamiya, the P645D looks like a bargain; and it's better specced to boot!

Hopefully I'll win the lottery sometime soon and my K20D can have a companion

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Wonder if something like this might force high end 35mm prices down.

the kind of shooting I like works better with 35mm, so I wouldn't mind a price drop. Looks like a sweet camera though for the studio/product/landscape photographer

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man
View Post

Wonder if something like this might force high end 35mm prices down.

the kind of shooting I like works better with 35mm, so I wouldn't mind a price drop. Looks like a sweet camera though for the studio/product/landscape photographer

Doubtful, seeing as they have their own benefits.

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyifide View Post
You guys could just get a tilt-shift lens and stitch multiple files together...
That won't have the same effect at all.

Image compression at equivalent focal lengths, dynamic range, resolved detailed, etc... is different for 4/3's, APS-C, 35mm and Medium Format.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

That won't have the same effect at all.

Image compression at equivalent focal lengths, dynamic range, resolved detailed, etc... is different for 4/3's, APS-C, 35mm and Medium Format.

Not that it'd be completely different either. Especially if you're essentially purchasing one for the larger resolution. If you think about it, taking multiple photos and stitching them into one is kind of like having a physically larger sensor, as you're still maintaining the same pixel density.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyifide View Post
Not that it'd be completely different either. Especially if you're essentially purchasing one for the larger resolution. If you think about it, taking multiple photos and stitching them into one is kind of like having a physically larger sensor, as you're still maintaining the same pixel density.
Hadn't thought about pixel density. Makes me wonder if they set this thing up for any low light work (high "ISO"). Anyone think Pentax would let us borrow one to check it out?

Medium format from the days of film had incredible resolution compared to 35mm. I can only imagine what this think (and other brands) can do. And these are the nice one shot backs, not the older scanning backs. Billboard sized prints anyone?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyifide
View Post

depth of field, time consumption... the list goes on.

I don't think many people can be bothered to stitch multiple photos together for every shot they plan to keep.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danylu
View Post

depth of field, time consumption... the list goes on.

I don't think many people can be bothered to stitch multiple photos together for every shot they plan to keep.

Not to mention forget shooting anything that moves even a HAIR...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts