Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
I run W7 on my netbook with a CPU less than half as powerful as yours.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'd say stick with XP. You could probably run Windows 7 Starter nicely on a P4, but it's not available to buy in the UK. I think it's only shipped on some netbooks and low-spec laptops. I can't help but think you won't be as satisfied with the whole experience in Windows 7.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I work at a school district and we put 7 32 bit on our p4's. They run fine really. Probably about the same as XP but with all the benefits of 7

·
The Computer Guy
6,490 Posts
you can run win7. heck i have had win7 on a 2.0 cpu w/512mb. ram.

·
Banned
3,639 Posts
I have a similar machine with a 1.60ghz pentium 4, about a gig of ram and 120gb of storage space. A friend gave it to me for free.

I currently have Ubuntu dual booted with win xp running on it and its great, I use it for banking and web browsing mostly.

The only reason I don't have Win 7 on this is because I'm not entirly sure of the motherboard so I don't know if I would be able to find the right drivers for it in win 7. (if anyone thinks they can help me out please do pm me, I would love to get win 7 running on this machine)
However I would say if you can get the drivers for it then Win 7 would be the way to go, Windows 7 works great on my N450 netbook with 1gig of ram.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznaz;11986503
Windows 7 Starter I take it? If not, then I'm very impressed.
Win 7 Pro.

Why would you be impressed?

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I put windows 7 on a PIII and it was good.

Hell I put my s478 machine on windows 7 with an SSD... It was faster than my HTPC at booting lol, granted the HDD came into effect with that, but STILL
smile.gif

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Id go with windows 7, or even better Lubuntu if you don't mind linux. XP is clunky.

That said, its worth going through some guides to disable unneeded services and such in windows 7 to optimize it. Google tweakhound and Black viper to get some good guides.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
imo for gaming on p4 xp is good coz it puts less load on the already bottlenecking proccy...but maybe for other stuff u wont notice much difference....and i have personally used xp and win 7 on my old p4 machine...so im talking from my experience.....

·
Registered
529 Posts
OP... Are you asking to be slapped?
biggrin.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts