Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seem to have hit a wall while OCing. If I raise the FSB any higher the bios doesn't even boot. The OC I am at right now is very stable and I can't understand why it won't go any higher.

CPU Frequency: 224
FSB : DRAM: 1:1
PCI Express Freq: 100
PCI Clock Sync Mode: Fixed 33.3MHz
Mem Volt: Auto
MCH Chipset Volt: Auto
CPU VCore Volt: Auto
Idle Temp: 35
Load Temp (w/ Prime95): 40-48

·
Registered
421 Posts
Tried upping the Vcore a notch?

or you could try raising your PCI-E to a 101 or 102 orso.
Works on some mobo's to be able to clock higher (like mine)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Take note of upping the PCI-E could hurt in games. You would get graphicslag without real FPS drops. Some games, like BF2 are extremely sensitive for these things =/

If I'm wrong, don't hesitate to flame

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
PSU maybe? 350watts doesnt seem like alot for a dual core rig with a BT, and other things. Might wanna look into getting a bit more power.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think it is the PSU. I tried the ideas you guys had and it's still not going any higher. I was actually about to buy a radeon x1600 but I guess I have to get that new PSU. Anyone know a good PSU I could buy under $100 and still have almost enough to buy a VC?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the same problem. Does your PC just not boot at all, or shutdown during the bootup process and then require you to unplug the power cord for ~ 10 seconds for it to discharge, then turn it on again?

I had a 350w causing this problem, upg. to a 500w now I have no problems with 2 optical drives connected, currently running bus speed 1064mhz
(800 stock..)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@[email protected];;; I just installed the new 500w power supply and.... My OC still isn't going any higher! Is there anything else I can try that might get it to go any higher?

P.S. When installing the PSU I found that my RAM wasn't in dual channel configuration, and I fixed it, and now my RAM is dual channel ^_^. I also noticed that My Big Typhoon wasn't properly secured, I fixed that too, my temp dropped a few degrees ^_^.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*bump*

By the way, I actually did have some power problems when I was running at 224. When the harddrive was spinning alot and the CPU was at full load at the same time it would sometimes randomly reboot (As if the power had gone out for a second). I'm pretty sure they're fixed now with the new PSU.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
I have the exact same mobo and I hit the exact same wall you hit... FSB 224 until I decided to raise my PCI-E bus frequency and I discovered that my FSB was now reaching further heights.
Start by upping the PCI-E frequency to 105 and see what max FSB you can get with it.
Then take the PCI-E frequency to 110 and check again for the highest FSB.

Which program are you using to benchmark the machine's performance ?
Oh and by the way... lock you PCI frequency to 33.3 MHz.

I was able to take my P4 630 from 3.0 GHz to 3.75 GHz without raising any voltage (cpu, ram or chipset).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was using xbench to benchmark (xbench.com) because was trying out Mac OS X86 (which rocks except for the lack of gaming). I'm gonna start using PCMark05 now.

Thanks for the tip, I'll go try it out. ^_^

EDIT: It worked! I'm running at 3.4GHz and my CPU score already went up over 400 points in comparison to the 3.1GHz OC.
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=69186

EDIT2: I went up to 3.5GHz and my CPU score went up another 700.
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=69218

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By the way, when I raised the PCI-E frequency to 110 I started noticing that OpenGL games (and all of Mac's interface, when I'm running Mac) is renders very strangely, as well as animated GIF's. Could this be just because I'm using the on board graphics or are you also having the problem?

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Nope I'm not having problems at all (so far).
I'm currently running at PCI-E frequency 113.
So I take it you were able to go higher than 224 on your FSB once you upped the PCI-E frequency ?

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
This is a "Value" board with built-in video and seldom will you reach great overclocks with such boards. You have taken it from 2.8GHz to 3.5GHz and with such a board that is a good o/c imo.

I played with this board and did not get the 1066 goodnesss. I then moved to the P5AD2-E Premium and made 1066 and 4.02GHz easily. This is with the same 630 that would not go past 3.7 on the P5LD2-VM. Even though I built it for my wife, I wanted a maximal stable overclock so went with the P5AD2-E Premium.

R

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice thread,m here with an Asus p4c800 + a 3.0c [email protected] (socket 478),and m debating if I have to install or not a P4 820D I have on an Asrock 775Dual880pro,Now infact would like to know how much easily the 820D overclocks,since for it to be comparable with my current cpu must be at least @ 3.5Ghz,( non dual core apps course) actually I have also a Thermalright XP-90C all copper heatsink with a 90mm fan,so any help is welcomed to ll finally decide if I have to assemble the new pc or keep usin this one for a while....

P.S.

Aqua03 can u pm some resources for Mac OS 10.4 on x86 I can get the 10.4 easily wonna have better infos on how to install it and yopur personal opinions on that......Is it easy if u pm me the resources and basic ll be more then happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts