Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am thinking of putting together a low power consumption/noise HTPC style PC for media and internet surfing (Very occasional gaming as well)

I checked my local retailer and they have quite a selection of Mobile processors.

The ones that stood out as reasonable options were these:
1.46GHz Intel Celeron M 410, Socket 478, 1MB Cache, 533MHz FSB, Retail £35 (Cheap Option)
1.73GHz Intel Celeron M 430, Socket 478, 1MB Cache, 533MHz FSB, Retail £55 (Reasonable price)
1.86 GHz Pentium M 750 Socket479,Dothan, 2MB Cache, Retail £157 (Bit out of my price range)

Paired up with one of these: ASUS CT-479 Adapter and the motherboard/memory/GPU combination in my secondary rig.

1. My question is really how much of a difference does the extra cache make and is it really worth the extra outlay based on the usage of the rig?

2. How will they perform in comparision to the 3.0GHz Pentium Prescott (1mb L2) currently living in my secondary rig?

3. Are the Celeron-M's architecturaly the same as the Dothan core minus the extra L2?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
I'd go with the Celeron M @ 1.73Ghz. The 1mb L2 should serve you fine for the usage you described

3x the price just isnt worth it for the Pentium M

• Rep+
Reactions: MjrTom

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidwolf909

I'd go with the Celeron M @ 1.73Ghz. The 1mb L2 should serve you fine for the usage you described

3x the price just isnt worth it for the Pentium M

yeah thats what i was thinking, just dont want to end up regreting my build

Has anyone had any experiences with these adapters and or CPU's?

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
You won't. My dad's laptop has the Celeron M 410, and it's suprisingly snappy and quick. It runs SuperPi 1M in just a hair over a minute, but it's very responsive when you need it to be.

• Rep+
Reactions: MjrTom

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

You won't. My dad's laptop has the Celeron M 410, and it's suprisingly snappy and quick. It runs SuperPi 1M in just a hair over a minute, but it's very responsive when you need it to be.

Even better
thats only £35, I spend that on a night out on the tiles

1minute 1M super Pi is supprisingly fast, Ive just ran a quick (or not so...) 1M SuperPi on the 3.0GHz Prescott and got a time of 47 seconds.... (Versus the 31sec on my sys spec rig)

That Celeron with half the clock speed is only 25% slower
I know that Prescotts are not great and the architecture of the mobile chips are much more efficient but I had no idea the gap was that big.

The celeron options are looking very tempting now

·
Registered
210 Posts
Performance difference is very negligible. The killer with laptops is the lack of proper speedstep support. I don't know if that will make a difference to you.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
id just go with a regular desktop proc, say a pentium d 805 or something like that - super overclockable and super cheap... less than 100 USD and its been overclocked to 4ghz on air before. plus its dual core
which could obviously be useful if you do multiple streams and if you do any video conversion...
not to mention the fact that you wont need any silly adapter to get it working lol... or a motherboard that supports the adapter... lol

a large hard drive would be suggested as well
and maybe a remote control of some sort, i know my audigy 4 came with one lol

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MjrTom

Has anyone had any experiences with these adapters and or CPU's?

You know you need an ASUS board with that and not all ASUS Socket 478 work with that adapter.

Out of the 5 motherboards that work with the adapter, which one do you have? Also from what I've seen, it's best to pair this things with CAS 2-2-2-5 memory.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fade2green514

id just go with a regular desktop proc, say a pentium d 805 or something like that - super overclockable and super cheap... less than 100 USD and its been overclocked to 4ghz on air before. plus its dual core
which could obviously be useful if you do multiple streams and if you do any video conversion...
not to mention the fact that you wont need any silly adapter to get it working lol... or a motherboard that supports the adapter... lol

a large hard drive would be suggested as well
and maybe a remote control of some sort, i know my audigy 4 came with one lol

Thanks for your comments but you are missing the point the system I had in mind is designed to be both low power/temperature and noise which a D series Prescott is neither. I have a gaming/general PC which is noisy as hell, (See sig) this is to bring a bit more tranquility to my living room

By using the ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard (Which I have,) with these mobile CPU's I get dual channel support for DDR400 which the native Pentium-M boards do not support and also AGP 8x.

This is not going to be a power horse, mearly a quiet unobtrusive internet/media machine. (a big hard drive is also in the pipeline
)

I have 2x 256mb modules to use with it for the time being, These are rated at 2.5-3-2-7 @DDR400 or 2-2-2-5 @ DDR333 (Winbond CH-6 IC's)

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone else got any input before I stump up any cash

All comments welcome

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My current Processor is this: http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL79L
The specs for this are:
CPU Speed: 3.0GHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 15
Bus Speed: 800MHz
Thermal Design Power: 89W
Thermal Specification: 69.1*C
Manufacturing Technology: 90nm

The Celeron-M 430 is: http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL92F
CPU Speed: 1.73GHz
Bus/Core Ratio: 13
Bus Spped: 533MHz
Thermal Design Power: 27W
Thermal Specification: 100*C
Manufacturing Technology: 65nm

There is a big difference between thermal output and thermal threshold of the two CPU types

My concern is that the Banias are 130nm, Dothans are a 90nm construction but the Celeron 430 is 65nm.

I wonder if there is a way to find out the EXACT CPU compatability list for the ASUS setup. Im supprised its a 65nm construction like the Presler and Core2Duo's

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
the celeron M 430 is well priced if you are not overclocking
you could save some money by overclocking the 410, and it probably wont get that warm either

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegoskyline
the celeron M 430 is well priced if you are not overclocking
you could save some money by overclocking the 410, and it probably wont get that warm either
Yeah that would be a good option. Only problem is that due to this motherboard being a Micro ATX form factor it is designed for compactness and stability. This means the only method to overclock is to use "Clockgen" which im not using

1 - 14 of 14 Posts