Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that knowing if you are being quote would increase productivity on the forums, as the person can reply as soon they are notified.

The notification could be a simple or PM that the system sends you.

I can't think of any disadvantages in this feature, this should be implemented.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
all you have to d ois search your name. It shows you everytime your name pops up. Its just borken at the moment to due work being d0ne on the site.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by rduffy123
View Post

all you have to d ois search your name. It shows you everytime your name pops up. Its just borken at the moment to due work being d0ne on the site.

But that would make me have to get out of my way and search for whoever quoted me.

I believe this feature would really improve productivity.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1234
View Post

I think that knowing if you are being quote would increase productivity on the forums, as the person can reply as soon they are notified.

The notification could be a simple or PM that the system sends you.

I can't think of any disadvantages in this feature, this should be implemented.

Agree, being quoted and notified would be outstanding addition for OCN.

Only drawback I could think would be if someone quoted someone that quoted you, but I dont think it would be that much of a drawback.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
you can subscribe to threads of interest and set it up so send you an instant email notification whenever someone posts in that thread

·
Senior Overclocker
5,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abc1234
View Post

But that would make me have to get out of my way and search for whoever quoted me.

I believe this feature would really improve productivity.

i totally agree!
god knows how many quotes ive left unanswered...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you cant search your name on the main page where it says search then you my friend must be the laziest person I know. In fact, if this were implimented, it would take more time. /thread.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
This is an amazing idea! Implementing this would make the forum so much better, this forum is just too big so most of the time when you reply to someone's post they're never going to see it simply because the topic will get buried under another 50 topics in minutes, but being notified when you've been quoted would remove this issue!

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
This is a hobby, not a job. We don't need to increase productivity :\\

I, for one, would find this annoying as I get quoted alot and my inbox would get spammed pretty quick with useless autonotifications.

·
OG
1,611 Posts
This would not be good because then people would have way too many PM's.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
what i do is just go to where it says who's online on the first page >>>> click my name>>>>>>go to statistics>>>>>>SEE ALL POSTS BY THIS USER>>>>>>>> then just look at the individual threads and you will find if you've been quoted or not and sometimes even learn something new.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
What if you could turn it on and off?

I used to subscribe to every thread I posted in, but that got annoying. Always too many threads with new posts in my User CP. Sometimes you don't want to see every time someone writes in that thread, but you might be more interested if someone was talking directly to you.

Make it a little check box, like subscribing, at the bottom of where you post. I think it could be pretty useful.

Count me in!

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
What if someone sigged your quote? Every time they post you'd then be notified. Seems like a hassle to me.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
This feature, in my mind, would only apply within threads, not signatures. I would think it would work in somewhat the same way as subscribing to a thread.

It doesn't do anything with the signatures, just the threads only.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
+1

·
Banned
1,948 Posts
Or, you could just check your last posts and see if there's been any replies. A notification system for quotes would be damn near impossible to build.

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
http://www.overclock.net/suggestions...ification.html

I pitched it almost a year ago and it's almost the exact thing you're describing, and basically includes the following.

- an option in User CP or on an individual post that allows you to select "Notify me if my post is quoted"
- There is already a portion of User CP for subscribed threads, there can also be a second for quoted posts.
- When a post is quoted, and the user has requested to be notified, the "Quoted Post" section in their User CP gets updated.

How it can work?

The quote button is set up with:

http://www.overclock.net/newreply.ph...reply&p=######

Where ###### is a post tied to a particular user. When the quote is clicked, why can't there be a portion of code in the newreply script that updates the "Quoted post" section of the user that created post ######.

It's seems like an incredibly straightforward implementation because it is event-driven only when the Quote button is pressed.

Edit: It there would have to be something in place for the case where the quote button was hit but an actual reply wasn't completed (as in the case of accidentally pressing the quote button).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts