Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a limit to the volume size I can create with a 5/i card? For example, if I create a 4x2TB RAID5 setup, can I make one giant 6TB GPT partition for storage? (I've seen threads elsewhere about not being able to have > 2TB, but I don't remember if that was addressing the MBR or controller card limit.)

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
yes - you can make much bigger arrays also (the largest I have seen on a PERC was 14TB - but that was for testing, and was limited by the drives.

Not sure what the upper limit it, but I wouldn't run an array larger than a few TB on RAID5 anyway...

• Rep+
Reactions: spartacus

·
Linux Lobbyist
3,744 Posts
@the_beast

So when we have 4TB drives, you'd only have 3-drive arrays?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
you can creat raid arrays over 2TB but you cant use MBR you have to use GUID partition table. You can not boot off this partition but if its for data your fine. The largest size of an array is into the Petra bytes.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by parityboy View Post
@the_beast

So when we have 4TB drives, you'd only have 3-drive arrays?

I wouldn't put 4TB drives in RAID5 at all...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
Not sure what the upper limit it, but I wouldn't run an array larger than a few TB on RAID5 anyway...
I found a cheap PERC 6/i on ebay instead of buying the 5/i I originally planned. The game plan now is to go with RAID6 and have the extra sanity-drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts