Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Below are the PerfCap Reasons, along with a brief description to do with what is causing them.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating performance is limited by voltage reliability.
VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).
Pwr = Power. Indicating performance is limited by total power limit.
Thrm = Thermal. Indicating performance is limited by temperature limit.
Util = Utilization. Indicating performance is limited by GPU utilization.

Example here, GPU is not being used, however GPU-z has woken the device. The GPU is not at a higher speed because the GPU usage is low. PerfCap Reason shown in the blue outline below.



thumb.gif
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,585 Posts
do i get a cookies for three at once?
:)




nice post btw.
:thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
so per your list my gpu is not being used while gaming?
I wasn't able to see all the reasons for each colored bar as I was gaming in full screen.
I think the reason on my gpu-z of the gray bar is because I closed the game and hurried to save the the max readings
in gpu-z.
do you have a list of reasons by colored bars? that would help me.
smile.gif

my gpu-z readings while gaming
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,585 Posts
thanks i was hungry but unfortunately that clock speed isn't game or benchmark stable
mad.gif
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

so per your list my gpu is not being used while gaming?
my gpu-z readings while gaming
It is, except at the time of writing, you were not in game, and so the card was not being used. Hover your mouse earlier on to check what it was ta during gaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

what brand of 980ti do you have?
my PNY 980 is stable at the over clock I have shown in my gpu-z readings.
your 980ti should be also.
EVGA Hybrid, 1460Mhz at stock 1.199v is my daily OC.

1500Mhz is stable at 1.255v, havn't tried anything else, but assume 1530 is stable at 1.278v which is the max
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

It is, except at the time of writing, you were not in game, and so the card was not being used. Hover your mouse earlier on to check what it was ta during gaming.
EVGA Hybrid, 1460Mhz at stock 1.199v is my daily OC.

1500Mhz is stable at 1.255v, havn't tried anything else, but assume 1530 is stable at 1.278v which is the max
next time I will do as you suggest, also thanks for the perf cap guide.
if I oc my 980 to 1585mhz I get a driver crash (TDR) so I keep it at 1503mhz, don't know why it won't sit at an even 1500mhz
my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (now boxed up) would run at 1605mhz no problem
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 980 and below uses a Core different to the Ti's GM200.

The 980Ti is based on the GM200 found in the Titan, whereas the 980 and below are GM206.

They use different base clock speeds and in general run at a faster speed than the GM200 equivalents even when overclocked. RAM remains the same other than select TI's that use Hynix instead of Elpida.
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,585 Posts
just ignore my image - i modded my bios for gaming and was having some fun in afterburner to post that.

FWIW this "normal:"



found what the max core speed my card does for that voltage then bumped down 26Mhz (two boost bins) for "game stable" regardless of driver version. yeah, i have had a drive spit out what was a stable OC before.
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

just ignore my image - i modded my bios for gaming and was having some fun in afterburner to post that.

FWIW this "normal:"



found what the max core speed my card does for that voltage then bumped down 26Mhz (two boost bins) for "game stable" regardless of driver version. yeah, i have had a drive spit out what was a stable OC before.
I was having issues with the 1451Mhz OC, after flashing my card and getting Limit increased to 130%, which is totally over the top, I now got 1460 happily going.
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,585 Posts
i found the MAX tdp during the first graphics test in firestrike was ~122% so i added ~10% and set that as 100% (330 watts) the SC+ has a thermal pads and plate over the VRMs so i'm not worried about it.
wink.gif


so to tie this in to your OP

green= raise power target
yellow= it wants/needs more voltage
blue= perfectly normal b/c gpu boost
grey= you have more room

not sure if 100% correct but close.
tongue.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

Below are the PerfCap Reasons, along with a brief description to do with what is causing them.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating performance is limited by voltage reliability.
VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).
Pwr = Power. Indicating performance is limited by total power limit.
Thrm = Thermal. Indicating performance is limited by temperature limit.
Util = Utilization. Indicating performance is limited by GPU utilization.

Example here, GPU is not being used, however GPU-z has woken the device. The GPU is not at a higher speed because the GPU usage is low. PerfCap Reason shown in the blue outline below.



thumb.gif
VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).

What do you mean by hardware limit, motherboard?

Also two things, might as well put the colors those perfs are... I wonder if you can add voltage or flash the bios to remove this limitations.. but than again people say this is normal, and Nvidia put it there as a safe measure.
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by daunow View Post

VOp = Operating. Indicating performance is limited by max operating voltage(Hardware Limit).

What do you mean by hardware limit, motherboard?

Also two things, might as well put the colors those perfs are... I wonder if you can add voltage or flash the bios to remove this limitations.. but than again people say this is normal, and Nvidia put it there as a safe measure.
As in, the VRMs and controllers can ONLY supply that much power, you will need to Voltage Mod your CPU to get higher
Quote:
Originally Posted by looniam View Post

i found the MAX tdp during the first graphics test in firestrike was ~122% so i added ~10% and set that as 100% (330 watts) the SC+ has a thermal pads and plate over the VRMs so i'm not worried about it.
wink.gif


so to tie this in to your OP

green= raise power target
yellow= it wants/needs more voltage
blue= perfectly normal b/c gpu boost
grey= you have more room

not sure if 100% correct but close.
tongue.gif
I'll add it in, could someone confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

As in, the VRMs and controllers can ONLY supply that much power, you will need to Voltage Mod your CPU to get higher
I'll add it in, could someone confirm this?
Why would I need to voltage mod my CPU? can't a 3570k run a 750ti no problems or...?
 

·
professional curmudgeon
Joined
·
10,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroC1999 View Post

I'll add it in, could someone confirm this?
your description is perfect, i was just throwing the colors in and really i wasn't concise; as i said, the blue is perfectly normal but specifically for gpu boost 2.0 and yellow needing more voltage but its not going to get it either by the bios limit or hardware (voltage controller) limit.

though now i am tempted to grab my 780ti classy out of the box (that has an unlocked voltage controller
thumb.gif
) and screw around with it. oh wait, i'd have to track down the stock bios. nevermind, i am too lazy for all that.
tongue.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by daunow View Post

Was trying to google for "voltage mods" but How would I go about doing that? and do I need to open my GPU not just modified from windows?
you'd have to mod the bios of the card itself with maxwell bios tweaker. and for a 750ti that might not be a good idea - with it little power delivery phases - just a little too much added voltage and you'll hear one go POP!
 

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
Joined
·
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@daunow

Your GPU has hit the physical limit of the Voltage Controller, it has hit VOp.

To increase the voltage beyond what you got now, you would have to possibly change surface mount components on your GPU PCB, or find a way to bypass the stock voltage controller and provide more.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top