Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 month old seagate 7200.12 500 gb hard drive just went caput a few hours ago. I was browsing, then my screen froze up. I restarted, and it refused to boot. It first went to start up recovery, and after checking for problems, it said it that there was no hdd installed, and if there was, it wasn't responding. So I removed and reconnected the cables, thinking it was a connection problem. I restarted, and startup recovery appeared again.

True enough, it detected my drive, but said that the system volume is corrupt. I opened the command prompt, and apparently it can detect the C: drive with all my files, no problem, but not the D: drive, which I assume is the boot disk(correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, after hours of doing checkdisk and what not, I've given up on trying to fix it, and am planning to reformat it. But I really don't wanna lose my files. So I'm planning to buy an external enclosure, turn my hdd into an external drive, extract the files in my other comp, remove the hdd and put it back in my comp and reformat it.

Is what I'm about to do sound absolutely retarted? Or is it actually doable? And what do you think is the problem with my hdd? Is it really just a software problem? Or is my hdd defunct, and should I buy a new hdd?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've been able to recover data with my external enclosure w/ pata drives even though they had the constant click of death, didn't complete recover all data but got most of what I needed, I've also disconnected hard drive controller circuit and replaced with with a similar one, and've recovered data that way also, knock on wood but my 2 1tb 7200.12's are still fully function in raid0 as boot drive since September Nvidia stripe 1.81 tb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts