Overclock.net banner

Periodic CPU Overvoltage error in post - Need some help

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  lumasisis 
#1 · (Edited)
System is a 5950x in a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero. PSU is a Corsair AX1600i.

I'm o/cing with both PBO and manual o/c due to Dark Hero dynamic feature. CPU is oced @4.5GHz all core with 1.3V both in vid and vcore set.

While system works flawlessly all the time, no throttling issues, stable and tested with P95 and thermals are always normal w/o issues, sometimes in post I get the overvoltage protection error press F1 to enter bios. Now in bios I might get crazy value when this happens like 1.9V but gradually this value falls if I let it.. Most of the times I don't even need to close psu and open it again I just save and exit w/o changing anything (because the vcore value starts to fall in the mobo sensor). I want to note here that I haven't turned off the OVP/OCP protection in bios and of course I will never do it.. I don't even ignore the mobo sensor in the case of being faulty.

This happens one in 20 posts or something. Most of the times the values are like these in HWINFO as you can see in the attachment, but when the message appears the vcore value of the mobo sensor on the right might show the crazy 1.8-1.9V value. Which as I said gradually starts to fall by itself. Sometimes the vcore sensor does not even show up in hwinfo! The SVI2 TFN always does though and is always consistent in measurements. Only the mobo sensor shows inconsistencies or disappears completely!

I reverted back to the previous bios revision just to check because the latest for Dark Hero is a beta one. It doesn't seem to help.

So what do you think might be the issue? Should I worry about PSU or mobo giving bad power or it might be just a faulty sensor?
What would you recommend me check just to be on the safe side?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Asus bios. Wait for them to fix it..

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Is this a "known" issue that occurs to some?
Given the fact that I haven't noticed any weird behavior in my system, not once I've had a BSOD or hang during normal use, I was more prone to believe that it might be the vcore sensor being faulty. The value is just crazy when this happens being up there @2V almost.. What worries me is that it starts to gradually diminish by itself though so I'm always leaving an open window of unstable power with crazy vcore spikes.OTOH the SVI2 TFN sensor is consistent with consistent value spectrum.

#5 ·
All of a sudden it stopped doing it and reporting wrong values.. I'm buffled.. Don't know what to think anymore. Surely I'll keep a closer look from now on for all power measurments to see if something peculiar appears or if the issue reappears..

#8 ·
This may help explain some of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.