Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Get latest version here!

Well I've been working on this project off and on for two months now and I finally feel like its good enough to release.

This is my attempt at making a CPU-z like program for linux. I still got a lot of work planned for it, including better hardware support (ATI and Intel video info), more CPU info, and other sysadmin related info.

Let me know what you guys think. If you find any bugs, post them, and I'll try to work them out.

Unpacking PerlMon

To un-pack file, you can type in the terminal:
unzip PerlMon*.zip

Installing PerlMon

*As of release 0.2.0 Perlmon must be installed before you can run the script.*
In the terminal:
cd /path_to/PerlMon-*/
sudo perl Installer

Graphically:
Thanks to reset3x and DigitalSonata for working together to figure this error out.
If you're using xarchiver make sure you are preserving the directory structure when you extract the files. You need to check off Extract files with full path.

If you get an error then check to make sure the dependences are installed, and if then report the bug.
For more info on anything you can look in the README file.

.deb package

reset3x has been kind enough to make a .deb package for PerlMon that you can get from here.

If you have any questions feel free to PM here, or send an email to perlmon.linux at-sign gmail dot com.

If you use a distro that perlmon doesn't reconize, then let my know and I'll add the support to the perlmon. All I ask is please provide the name of the the file that contains the release info (usually DISTRO_NAME-release or DISTRO_NAME-version under /etc) and if the file is more than one line long, let me know what the inside of the file looks like (this is to make sure perlmon produces a readable output for the distro info).

Update: Aug. 4, 2007

Well after taking the last two weeks off, I've started to work on release 0.2.0. A few minor 0.1.# releases will come along the way.
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!
(0.1.0 downloaded 224 times!)

Update: Aug. 6, 2007

Release 0.1.1 is out! A few changes since 0.1.0. Distro support for Enlisy added and the bug with text mode and Gtk2 fixed. Also Glib.pm is no longer a dependancy. This release is based off of 0.1.0 and not 0.1.0-2, so if anyone has the issuse with Settings.pm, please let me know, same goes with any other bugs you find.
(0.1.1 downloaded 420 times!)

Update: Oct. 8, 2007

Release 0.1.2 is out! Just a few more changes on 0.1.1. Distro.pm package rewritten and divide by zero error fixed in Memory.pm. Like always if you find anything wrong, let me know! Enjoy! (Note the size of the new package!)
(0.1.2 downloaded 912 times!)

Update: Oct. 13, 2007

Release 0.13RC1. For details and to download the package, you can go here.

Update: Jan. 26, 2008

Release 0.1.3. Get package and details here.

Update: Feb. 9, 2008

Release 0.1.4. Get package and details here.

Update: May 31, 2008

Release 0.2.0. Go here to get.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I followed the readme and I got this:

[email protected]:~/PerlMon-0.1.0$ perl perlmon
Can't locate ./settings/Settings.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at HD.pm line 24.
Compilation failed in require at perlmon line 30.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at perlmon line 30.
[email protected]:~/PerlMon-0.1.0$

I had Perl 5.8.8 installed by default with my distro (Xubuntu 7.04) but not in /usr/local/share... It does appear in the other directories...

Just to let you know my Linux knowledge is intermediate at best so if you think this may be over my head and too frustrating for you too help out- No prob.... But I would like to help you out if I can...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I re-uploaded the original version, and added a second one that should solve the error 'cannot locate Settings.pm' if you get that.

Its a package I made, and want to put it in a certain loacation, if that causes a problem, then so be it.
The second package should fix it for you though.

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Just downloaded and ran it, worked perfectly. Great job, dangerous.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
wow
I love it
You deserve a whole pack of cookies for you hard work , guess the best i can do is give you a rep+

Works like a charm. Is it possible in the future to get it to display ram timings,htt speed etc. ala a64info or cpu-z? What about incorporating mprime for stability testing.

Mine look teh suck compared to yours though

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by biatchi View Post
wow
I love it
You deserve a whole pack of cookies for you hard work , guess the best i can do is give you a rep+

Works like a charm. Is it possible in the future to get it to display ram timings,htt speed etc. ala a64info or cpu-z? What about incorporating mprime for stability testing.

Mine look teh suck compared to yours though

I'm working on adding more info like that to it.

It looks different b/c the gui was written in Gtk2, and your in KDE, and Gtk apps like different under KDE then say Gnome or Xfce. This is b/c your kde is set to use the default Gtk theme on its Gtk apps. The image I posted looks different b/c its running in XFce.

• Rep+
Reactions: The Hundred Gunner

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
That's awesome. Now make it work with windows so I can try it.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL View Post

Why not give linux a try and take a look at this while you're at it?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigvaL View Post

That defeats the purpose

·
Premium Member
22,005 Posts
Working great here with KDE/Zenwalk. Great work hobo!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mine works great

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! Happy to hear that you like it.
If you notice any bugs or issues, then I ask please send me a PM and I'll work on fixing it.
I was planning on writting a Qt3 gui for it too, just need to learn a bit more on coding Perl with Qt(I like Gtk a bit better then Qt from a programming standpoint).

Also if for anyone it doesn't run, then look at the README or run it from the terminal (perl /path/PerlMon-0.1.0/perlmon) and see what output it gives you. Most likely if it doesn't run, then its a dependency issue, and by running PerlMon from the terminal it'll let you know. Like if it say "Glib.pm not found", your probably missing Glib package. Same if it says something like "Gtk.pm", all of gtk2 is either not installed or you can install gtk2-perl package, if you can find it for your distro(thats really only an issue on distro that by default support KDE over Gnome and other Gtk apps, IE. Slackware
).

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo View Post
Thanks guys! Happy to hear that you like it.
If you notice any bugs or issues, then I ask please send me a PM and I'll work on fixing it.
I was planning on writting a Qt3 gui for it too, just need to learn a bit more on coding Perl with Qt(I like Gtk a bit better then Qt from a programming standpoint).

Also if for anyone it doesn't run, then look at the README or run it from the terminal (perl /path/PerlMon-0.1.0/perlmon) and see what output it gives you. Most likely if it doesn't run, then its a dependency issue, and by running PerlMon from the terminal it'll let you know. Like if it say "Glib.pm not found", your probably missing Glib package. Same if it says something like "Gtk.pm", all of gtk2 is either not installed or you can install gtk2-perl package, if you can find it for your distro(thats really only an issue on distro that by default support KDE over Gnome and other Gtk apps, IE. Slackware
).
will do hobo. Did i rep you? i know i said i was going to but cant remember doing it

·
Registered
3 Posts
@dangerousHobo:
Hi there. I registered here just to let you know that i have made a package of PerlMon for the distro Enlisy.
It is not a big distro or anything. I just liked your program so much that i had to include it

I put it in our "extra" repository.

BTW i tried to include an Enlisy logo myself by adding it to the images dir and adding a line to the Distro.pm file, but all it showed was the image of a file with a red X over it (i.e. broken). I dont speak perl so i probably messed up somewhere.

Maybe you could include it in your next release?

Here is the logo file: http://enlisy.org/~noxxik/files/enlisy-trans.psd
We have an "enlisy-release" file in /etc
Oh and I did convert the .psd to .png before including it in the program, so that wasn't the problem

Thanks for this awesome program, keep it up!

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Can I have the dependancies? I'll make it into an Arch Package if I have the time.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dependancies are:
Perl
Gtk2
Gtk2-perl
Glib

You don't need Gtk2 or Gtk2-perl to run the --no-gui mode though. (theres a bug with that in the current 0.1.0 version, but it'll be fixed for 0.1.1, which I should post within the next 15 hours.).

For any changes in the dependancies in future versions you can look in the README file, I'll try and post about the change here though too.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester View Post
Can I have the dependancies? I'll make it into an Arch Package if I have the time.
Nice Jester. Let me know when you have done it please

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Finished release 0.1.1. Check out first post for package and other info about it.
Let me know of any bugs.

1 - 20 of 376 Posts