Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an opinion. Feel free to comment.<br />
<br />
I got my E6600 a month ago. I immediately turned into a slavemaster and put both cores to work full time folding. Basically putting both cores to 100%.<br />
<br />
Before that, I was running a 950D series doing the same thing.<br />
<br />
Now, I've seen all the performance comparisons between the Conroe's and the various AMD's, and the Intel Preslers/Prescott's, etc. They are impressive. But, what is really amazing about these new processors is an intangible thing. It's the way the CPU works on a task level. Even at max utilization, the cores seem to have no problem what so ever switching to a new task and giving the OS it's full attention. I guess it's the way the cores fill the pipelines and pre-fetch that's changed. The transitions from thread to thread are almost seamless. A really amazing design.<br />
<br />
My work loaned me one of those low power core 2 duo laptops. Runs at 1.8ghz or something like that. I loaded VMWare (Machine virtualization application) and was able to execute the following three virtual computers in tandem:<br />
1) W2003 domain controller<br />
2) W2000 server SQL 2000 server<br />
3) W2000 server with Exchange 2003<br />
And, of course, my "host" machine on the laptop: Windows XP professional.<br />
<br />
So, the Core2 is juggling multi-threaded tasks between FOUR virtual PC kernels! SMOOTHLY!....on a laptop!<br />
<br />
In the real world, the Core 2 kicks MAJOR bootay. Forget the benchmarks. Try to push it past it's limit. Hell, I'm thinking of beginning a third folding thread on my 6600. I'm not sure it would be a big deal to that processor.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Nice, Those laptops look so nicee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts