Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-speaks-out-about-nostalrius-shutdown/
Quote:
"Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard's rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW's IP, including unofficial servers. And while we've looked into the possibility-there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard's IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server."

The post also states that Blizzard doesn't consider hosting vanilla servers to be an option, citing "tremendous operational challenges" as an obstacle despite internal enthusiasm for the idea. However, there might still be some hope for players looking for an experience closer to the original WoW:
Their explanation for vanilla servers doesn't make ANY sense.

If a tiny group of people with little to no resources could make a full fledged vanilla server with ease, why can't a multi billion dollar corporation?

·
Robotic Chemist
3,005 Posts
It is frustrating when even Blizzard releases a statement saying that it is copyright law failing that forces them to shut down a popular and symbiotic private server. Legally, if they don't shut them down they won't be able to shut down anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock999 View Post

If a tiny group of people with little to no resources could make a full fledged vanilla server with ease, why can't a multi billion dollar corporation?
Internal analysis suggest any money spent on such an endeavor could make more money if spent on something else. They can be sued if they make any decision that decreases monetary value for shareholders. Of course.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:

Liability.
Once they start charging for it (which they inevitably will), they likely have to maintain a certain degree of consumer standards.
I imagine the upkeep from development and server cost (however small) wouldn't be offset by the revenue enough to make it worthwhile--particularly if it means pulling resources or attention from other projects like Overwatch.

A small team of passionate people doing it for fun don't have those concerns unless legal gets involved.
In that case, that's how we end up here.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Their just digging a bigger hole for themselves.

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
World of Warcraft is one big game, so much that I believe that every single gamer who have shown an interest on MMOs have already tried WoW before.

The game have so much potential, I'm sad to see Blizzard ignoring it, all they're saying in their statement is pure and absolute BS, the real reason why they don't release Legacy servers is because as of right now Blizzard is banking from people buying expansions, even if the game is an absolute disaster like WoD they realize that it ultimately doesn't matter, 12-13 Million people will still buy their 49$ (even 130$ for premium editions) Expansions that they'll keep releasing, even if said Expansions only have 1 single Patch of content (I'm looking at you WoD and 6.2), 50$ for one single patch of content, they are making profits with huge margins right there.

The real reason Blizzard don't want to create Legacy Servers is because they are afraid people will actually flock to Legacy servers. Having more people playing Legacy WoW than current WoW, which in on itself is very sad, a 11 years old game proving to be better than Modern WoW. This will heavily impact Blizzard WoW Expansion Sales as people who play on Legacy Servers would have no desire to play the stinky pile of something Blizzard will keep releasing for their already screwed up game.

It all comes down to money, people who would play on Legacy Progression servers will most likely not buy newer WoW expansions and I don't see Blizzard forcing its players to buy Legion just to play Vanilla, now that would be a new Bottom Low money grubbing territory even for Blizzard.

·
Let's Launch Over It!
375 Posts
To be honest, I'm amazed they actually responded to this (albeit in a very disappointing and stereotypical fashion.) I'm sad that I actually expected this and it was fairly disappointing to read, but again, they're still entitled to whatever they want to do.

Imo, they're totally missing the point with these "pristine servers." Yeah, some of the factors they listed are what contribute to some of the success of older versions of WoW, but they're not the only reasons. It may be nostalgia, but the content itself is essentially the main draw. To be honest, I sort of hate the theming and design of WoD, and I would not find it any more entertaining with some modern convenience features taken out. Garrison adventures is still garrison adventures on a pristine realm, just with... more vanilla like roadblocks.

Still, I don't really care about Nostalrius itself. It's about the same as any other vanilla server just with a bit of extra work put into it (and many more users.) It's also not about "huehue free realm lol," I'd pay not necessarily just for an official Blizzard legacy server, for for individual server licensing for smaller servers (such as something I'd like to host myself) through their official code/database/algorithms.

Ironically, I looked down on MoP when it came out, and it wound up as one of the better expansions of the game. WoD totally soured that with pure boredom, and I'm completely cynical about Legion. I just don't really have much care about playing it right now.

Another issue, they just come off as really arrogant now. People keep repeating that "you think you do, but you don't" line, but when you actually watch the clip, it's absolutely ridiculous how arrogant they are. I just can't believe they'd brush that person off like that, real classy Blizz, just reaffirms my present suspicions.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I wonder why they even responded at all.
No matter what they say people will call them liars anyway without knowing anything about the subject.

The second they would open an official vanilla server is a can of worms opened that can never be closed anymore.
For one, only a vanilla server will get people to riot for a least a tbc and wrath server as well. This includes technical support, GM's, patches and other stuff.

People WILL constantly whine about balance, especially on the vanilla server. I think a lot of people forgot how utterly broken some specs were in vanilla. A private server got away with this because well they aren't in control anyway and people don't expect anything. With Blizzard however, people will start demanding fixes for things. So now Blizzard has to keep at least 4 different versions of the game running each with their own bells and whistles.

Then comes the money issue. if people play on a vanilla server only they will ask why they keep having to pay the full monthly sub and not just a part of it.

Can they do it? Yes, but it i doubt very much it is worth the investment.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why doesn't Blizzard want to license private servers out? Easy, they could make a lot more money doing it in-house, with their marketing, and connecting it to Battle.net instead of dealing with private server operators.

Honestly, the intellectual property line is bull****, Blizzard does not want to allow private servers but if they went out and said it, it would cause a firestorm of **** more than it already is.

I think Blizzard is holding out the ideas of progression servers and previous expansion servers for when WoW finally goes belly up and they can pull this out and milk the nostalgia. At least, if it actually exists enough to make good money. I'm not sure its enough.

·
Iconoclast
30,421 Posts
Quote:

Because they haven't decided it's profitable yet.

If they do decide it's profitable at some point in the future, they won't want there to be an alternative to compete with that, nor do they want any alternatives to cannibalize their more profitable products.

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I read their comments this morning, and just laughed at the bull crap they are trying to shovel.
And which bullcrap would that be?

That they have to protect their IP?

That they, as a business owner, are subject to more significant restrictions than a handful of guys running a pirated server?

Tell me.

Oh, wait, someone already did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assirra View Post

No matter what they say people will call them liars anyway without knowing anything about the subject.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Everquest rolls progression servers every once in awhile and they're a blast. Still have to pay a sub. Guess what? People pay for it and people like it. Blizzard should be doing the same.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
"Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard's rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW's IP, including unofficial servers. And while we've looked into the possibility-there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard's IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server."

The post also states that Blizzard doesn't consider hosting vanilla servers to be an option, citing "tremendous operational challenges" as an obstacle despite internal enthusiasm for the idea. However, there might still be some hope for players looking for an experience closer to the original WoW:

It's a legal thing. You can't just selectively protect intellectual property. When IP infringement is found, can't choose to protect IP here but let other groups get away with it. Otherwise, legal arguments can be made that Blizzard isn't actively protecting their IP and that their whole claim to the IP can be void. To not risk that they have a legal obligation to actively pursue all infringement cases. Clearly this group was targeted because it had a relatively large following. Again, it might not make sense to you but it's a legal thing.

·
Premium Member
11,321 Posts
I used to do a full days work to be able to play star craft for an hour when I was young.

Now I don't have any blizzard games installed and probably never will. Reading news like this only reaffirms that. This is definitely one of those cases where blizzard was better off keeping their mouth shut.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

World of Warcraft is one big game, so much that I believe that every single gamer who have shown an interest on MMOs have already tried WoW before.

The game have so much potential, I'm sad to see Blizzard ignoring it, all they're saying in their statement is pure and absolute BS, the real reason why they don't release Legacy servers is because as of right now Blizzard is banking from people buying expansions, even if the game is an absolute disaster like WoD they realize that it ultimately doesn't matter, 12-13 Million people will still buy their 49$ (even 130$ for premium editions) Expansions that they'll keep releasing, even if said Expansions only have 1 single Patch of content (I'm looking at you WoD and 6.2), 50$ for one single patch of content, they are making profits with huge margins right there.

The real reason Blizzard don't want to create Legacy Servers is because they are afraid people will actually flock to Legacy servers. Having more people playing Legacy WoW than current WoW, which in on itself is very sad, a 11 years old game proving to be better than Modern WoW. This will heavily impact Blizzard WoW Expansion Sales as people who play on Legacy Servers would have no desire to play the stinky pile of something Blizzard will keep releasing for their already screwed up game.

It all comes down to money, people who would play on Legacy Progression servers will most likely not buy newer WoW expansions and I don't see Blizzard forcing its players to buy Legion just to play Vanilla, now that would be a new Bottom Low money grubbing territory even for Blizzard.
This is what happened to runescape. most players stopped playing (and some bad decision that cost Jagex quite a lot) the new runescape so Jagex had to create a separate server just for the "old school runescape".

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't buy it for a second. The reason they do this is because it will show the public how much they've messed up over the years. I quit during cata shortly after the teddy bear picnic expac was announced.
They kept changing things and dividing the community at the same time.
The vanilla WoW had lowbie and high zones scattered all over both continents. The odds of you bumping into someone was pretty good. You were forced to avoid areas and recognize where you were at all times.
Then the first division with cross realm PvP battle grounds.
Then you had to queue in cities instead of the portals in corresponding zones.
Then the first xpac that divided 58s and up and placed them into a new area making several zones obsolete while ignoring the unused zones already on the map.
This just continued and snowballed.
While divisions like this were happening, they were changing aspects that didn't need to be changed. Take the skill tree for example. They repeatedly simplified it over and over until it was removed completely.
So its easy to see why people want the original back.

As far as the comments i've seen about people stealing their IP is completely without merit.
We can get into the whole digital theft conversation but this is a little different and could be beat with a good lawyer, regardless of what the fine print agreement says.
In order to play on a vanilla server you must first purchase the vanilla version of the game so that money still goes to blizzard. This would be the unbeatable aspect of this situation.
You buy the original game yet its not available to play.

This is like me selling a board game like monopoly. Lets say I sell this board game and hundreds, thousands, etc. are reporting to absolutely love the game and people are having a lot of fun.
Now lets say that I go and get the games that I have sold to these people. I take the board, paint it, make new rules, and heavily alter how the game is played.
Now do I have a legal right to go and take said game from these people if they changed it back to the original form in which it was sold to them?
No, I don't.

This could be challenged if enough people got together and put in the effort.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.